Paracelsus Clinic Golzheim Duesseldorf
Department of Urologic Oncology (579891)
Hans Joachim Schütte
Specialized in: urologic oncology
About the Department of Urologic Oncology at Paracelsus Clinic Golzheim Duesseldorf
The Department of Urologic Oncology at the Paracelsus Clinic Golzheim Duesseldorf offers the full range of high-class diagnostics and treatment of cancer of the urogenital system in accordance with the very latest medical advances. A special area of specialization is the treatment of bladder cancer and the department is known for its outstanding results in prostate cancer treatment. The treatment tactics is selected for each patient individually and in most cases combines a surgical removal of the tumor and auxiliary conservative methods, such as chemotherapy, radiation therapy, antibody therapy. The ultimate goal of the department’s specialists is to provide the patient with the interdisciplinary and comprehensive treatment, moral support and a mindset for a positive therapy outcome.
The Chief Physician of the department is Prof. Dr. med. Hans Joachim Schütte. For decades, the doctor has been successfully treating oncological diseases, therefore his rich experience, deep knowledge and close cooperation with outstanding specialists are a guarantee of an optimal treatment result. According to the Focus magazine, Prof. Schütte is one of the top German doctors specializing in the treatment of urological tumors!
The department has advanced surgical equipment, so in most cases, surgical treatment is based on minimally invasive surgery. Today, such operations are the gold standard in surgery, since they can be used to avoid large incisions in the abdominal wall. The surgeon makes only three or four small incisions in the skin, ranging from one to two centimeters in size. The procedure also involves the use of a special camera and special miniature instruments. The camera allows to increase the operating area up to 20 times. The image is displayed on the screen, thanks to which the chief surgeon and the whole team can constantly see the surgical area. The department’s service range covers both conventional laparoscopy, retroperitoneoscopic and extraperitoneal laparoscopy. In addition, with appropriate indications, single-port laparoscopy may be also performed. It requires only one two-centimeter incision in the navel area.
The department’s medical team has unique qualifications in bladder cancer treatment. The doctors believe that early detection of a tumor gives a high chance of complete recovery. Consequently, the department offers one of the innovative methods for diagnosing bladder tumors, which allows for the detection of even the smallest tumors and pathological changes in the bladder mucosa at an early stage. This method is called Narrow Band Imaging. In addition, photodynamic diagnostics is widely used in the department. It is a study with contrast enhancement that allows to clearly see the malignant tissue lesions. With photodynamic diagnostics, it is possible to provide full electric ablation of bladder tumors, which significantly reduces the risk of recurrence.
Another important focus of the department is the treatment of prostate cancer, which is one of the most common male urological disorders. The department’s physicians have in their arsenal many modern and effective treatments, but one of the most innovative is focal therapy with high-intensity focused ultrasound (HIFU), in which the scalpel is replaced with directed high-energy ultrasound. The method is particularly effective for the patients at an early stage of the disease and for those who for some reason cannot undergo surgical treatment. The focal therapy does not require general anesthesia. The method of focused high-intensity ultrasound (HIFU) has proven to be highly effective and may soon become an excellent alternative to the total removal of the prostate gland.
The service range of the department includes:
- Diagnostics and treatment of bladder cancer
- Narrow band imaging
- Photodynamic diagnostics
- Conservative and surgical treatment
- Pain therapy
- Diagnostics and treatment of prostate cancer
- Open surgery
- Laparoscopic interventions
- Focal therapy using high intensity focused ultrasound (HIFU)
- "Watch on Wait" method for elderly patients in the absence of symptoms (careful monitoring of the pathology in order to prevent its progression)
- Hormone therapy
- Radiation therapy
- Pain therapy
- Diagnostics and treatment of testicular cancer
- Diagnostics and treatment of kidney cancer
- Minimally invasive surgery (laparoscopy)
- Radical nephrectomy (surgical removal of the kidney) for kidney tumors
- Partial kidney resection, organ-preserving kidney surgery
- Nephroureterectomy (surgical removal of the kidney and ureter)
- Adrenalectomy (adrenal gland removal)
- Reconstructive interventions on the ureter and bladder (including ureter reimplantation)
- Pyelotomy (renal pelvis surgery)
- Other medical services
Curriculum vitae of Prof. Dr. med. Hans Joachim Schütte
Education and Professional Career
- Study of Human Medicine at the University of Duesseldorf.
- Doctoral dissertation defense on estrogen receptor biochemical characterization, University of Duesseldorf.
- 1980 - 2002 Research Fellow and Senior Physician in the Department of Internal Medicine (tumor research), University Hospital Essen, West German Cancer Center.
- 1986 - 1989 Fellowship of the European Organisation for Research and Treatment of Cancer (EORTC) and National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, USA; Research Fellow, National Cancer Institute, NCI-Navy Medical Oncology Branch, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland, USA.
- 2002 - 2011 Medical Director, Department of Oncology, Hematology and Palliative Care, Marien Hospital, Duesseldorf.
- Since 04.2012 Work in the specialized Clinic for Outpatient Tumor Therapy, Hematology and Internal Oncology, Duesseldorf.
- 1995 Habilitation in Internal Medicine, University Hospital Essen.
- 1987 Albert Knoll Prize, Saarland, a group of interns on clinical studies of chemotherapy for bronchial carcinomas (jointly with Prof. Dr. med. N. Niederle).
- 1986 - 2002 Various research grants from the German Research Foundation, the German Cancer Society and other foundations (together with Prof. Opalka) for carrying out studies on the molecular characterization of the 3p12-21 gene in the pathogenesis of bronchial and renal cell carcinoma; 1993 - 1996 Member of the Graduate Group "Malignant and Normal Cells" at the University Hospital Essen; 1985 - 1990 Member of the European Organisation for Research and Treatment of Cancer (EORTC) and Coordinator of the phase II multicenter study of the same organization, the group for the study of soft and bone tissue sarcomas; numerous publications in various journals (Proceedings of the National Academy of Science USA, Cell, Cancer, Leukemia Research, European Journal of Cancer, Leukemia, Cancer Research, Journal of the National Cancer Institute, Journal of Clinical Oncology).
- 1995 Board certification in Hematology and Internal Oncology, Medical Association of the North Rhine, as well as in the Division of Medical Oncology of the European Society of Medical Oncology (ESMO) in 1999, additional qualifications in Palliative Care (2006).
- Until 2016 Member of the group on the development of guidelines for the treatment of sarcomas of the German Society of Hematology and Oncology (DGHO) and the working group on internal oncology; 2005 - 2015 Member of the Scientific Advisory Board of the National Initiative Program for Patients with Gastrointestinal Stromal Tumors/Sarcomas, Das Lebenshaus; 2005 - 2015 Member of the Board of Trustees of the Foundation for Breast Cancer P.A.T.H., Munich (Patients ’Tumor Bank of Hope).
- 2010 - 2012 Member of the Expert Commission on Off-label-use, Department of Oncology at the Federal Institute of Drugs and Medical Devices (BfArM, Bonn) of the Federal Ministry of Health; 1997 - 2000 Member of the Scientific Advisory Board of the Journal Onkologie; Consultant in the field of hematology and oncology for the 7th edition of MSD-Manuals; Co-Editor of the textbook Therapiekonzepte Onkologie; Co-Editor of the magazine TumorDiagnostik & Therapie (since 1996).
Photo of the doctor: (с) Paracelsus-Klinik Golzheim Düsseldorf
Department of Urologic Oncology.
Paracelsus Clinic Golzheim Duesseldorf:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.