Park-Clinic Weissensee Berlin
Department of Gynecology, Urogynecology and Mammology (302398)
Specialized in: gynecology, urogynecology, mammology
The chief physician of the department, Dr. med. Elke Keil, is an outstanding medical specialist in the fields gynecology, obstetrics and gynecologic oncology. For many years, he has been engaged in research and (surgical) treatment of oncological diseases of the breast and female genitals and has a wide range of scientific publications. In addition to the chief physician, the highly motivated team of the Department of Gynecology consists of one senior physician, six highly specialized medical experts and two psycho-oncologists.
The Department of Gynecology, Urogynecology and Mammology deals with the diagnostics and treatment of all breast diseases, diseases of the internal and external genitals, as well as hormonal disorders. In the course of treatment, a minimally invasive method is mainly used to preserve the organ. Each year, the medical facility performs about 1,800 minor and major surgeries on both an inpatient and outpatient basis.
The key focus of the department is placed on mammology. Since 2012, the Breast Center at the Park-Clinic Weissensee in Berlin has been certified by the German Cancer Society (GCS) and the German Society for Senology (DGS). Each patient receives an individual diagnosis and treatment plan developed in the interdisciplinary tumor board. To assess a breast tumor, the patient should undergo a tissue biopsy, which is performed under local anesthesia. In most cases, it is possible to preserve the organ. The department uses modern therapies (e.g., chemotherapy / antibody therapy), incl. the therapies provided within the framework of scientific research. If necessary, postoperative drug treatment can be performed in a special medical center of the clinic.
Gynecological cancers make up another medical focus. The Department of Gynecology is the certified Gynecologic Cancer Center. This means that the department meets the standards of the German Cancer Society and thus offers the best possible treatment for women gynecological cancers. All advanced treatment methods are available here, including minimally invasive techniques (laparoscopic surgeries, sentinel lymph node biopsy procedure in cooperation with the Department of Nuclear Medicine), modern therapy for gynecological tumors (e.g., chemotherapy and antibody therapy), etc.
The Department of Urogynecology treats patients who suffer from various forms of urinary incontinence or different forms of prolapsed organs. When treating weak pelvic floor and urinary incontinence, there are used various drug treatments, physical and physiotherapeutic measures, as well as surgical techniques. Both diagnosis and treatment are provided by the specialists with many years of experience.
The surgical spectrum of the department includes treatment of the following diseases:
- Breast diseases and breast cancer, including reconstructive and cosmetic procedures
- Abnormal uterine bleeding
- Benign and malign diseases of the genitals, including minimally invasive procedures (for instance, laparoscopic procedures for removal of the uterus)
- Weak pelvic floor (prolapsed organs)
- Involuntary urination (urinary incontinence)
- Acute and chronic pain in the lower abdomen
- Endometriosis (proliferation of the mucous membrane of the uterus)
- Causes of infertility
The range of gynecological services of the department includes:
- Diagnosis of diseases of the ovaries, uterus, vulva and vagina: ultrasound, CT, MRT, PET-CT, histopathological analysis after biopsy
- Interdisciplinary tumor boards: regular discussion of the patients' clinical cases
- Stage-related surgical treatment of gynecological tumors (cervical cancer, ovarian and endometrial cancer, vulva and vaginal cancer)
- Minimally invasive methods: laparoscopic surgeries, sentinel lymph node biopsy procedure in cooperation with the Department of Nuclear Medicine
- Modern therapy corresponding to the international guidelines of therapy for gynecological tumors: chemotherapy, antibody therapy
- Psycho-oncological counseling and patient care
- Berlin, Germany