Chemotherapy is almost always an option for pancreatic cancer, at all its stages. It is used in combination with other methods, including surgical resection of the organ. Nonetheless, not every case of cancer can be treated using the resection. The diseases can be sometimes treated without the use of radical methods, and in this case chemotherapy becomes one of the main treatments.
When do patients need chemotherapy?
In pancreatic cancer, the administration of drugs that block tumor growth is necessary in the following cases:
Prior to surgical resection. Such chemotherapy is called neoadjuvant. In combination with irradiation, it can reduce the size of the neoplasm. Therefore, it is easier for the surgeon to remove the tumor. Chemotherapy reduces the extent of the operation, increases its efficiency, accelerates patient’s rehabilitation. If the tumors is too big, chemoradiation therapy often precedes the surgical procedure. These are frequent cases, as cancer is detected in the advanced stages, after the onset of clinical symptoms.
After surgery. This is adjuvant chemotherapy. It aims to destroy those cancer cells that remained after the surgical treatment. These foci are too small and cannot be detected visually or by instrumental diagnostics. The use of drugs reduces the risk of recurrence of pancreatic cancer after treatment.
In case of inoperable cancer. If cancer has spread, chemotherapy serves to reduce symptoms and slow down tumor growth.
Advantages of chemotherapy in Germany
Many patients prefer to travel abroad to receive a better medical care. German hospitals often deal with the treatment of pancreatic cancer. Here a person will get a number of benefits:
- Highly accurate diagnostics that determines the most effective approaches to treatment.
- Use of modern drugs for chemotherapy.
- Use of original medicines, which got through the clinical trials, but not generics.
- Individual approach in the selection of dosages, selection of optimal treatment regimens with due consideration of efficacy and safety.
- Better tolerance of chemotherapy due to the use of additional drugs that reduce the severity of side effects.
- High-quality patient care services.
- German hospitals often conduct chemoradiation therapy, which is more effective, although it often causes undesirable symptoms (side effects).
Once treatment is completed, the patient may undergo a comprehensive rehabilitation, which will accelerate the patient’s recovery and reduce the risk of complications.
Which hospitals can offer treatment?
If you expect to get rid of pancreatic cancer completely, treatment cannot be limited to chemotherapy alone. Additional measures also include surgery and irradiation. The Booking Health company can arrange your treatment in the best German hospitals. Here are some of these hospitals:
University Hospital Heidelberg. Drug treatment is provided in the Department of Hematology, Oncology, Adult and Pediatric Rheumatology. According to the Focus magazine, this medical institution ranks among the top five of this kind in Germany. The head of the department is a member of the extended presidium of the National Cancer Center.
University Hospital Halle. The treatment is provided in the Department of Oncology and Hematology. This German clinic uses innovative methods to fight cancer. These include targeted therapy, immunotherapy.
University Hospital Bonn. The doctors of the Department of Oncology, Hematology, Rheumatology and Immunoncology use chemotherapeutic drugs for pancreatic cancer along with other treatments. There is maintained close interdisciplinary interaction, as the department is part of the Center for Integrated Oncology Cologne-Bonn. Each patient is provided with proper care and supportive treatment to reduce symptoms.
Organization of treatment
To undergo treatment in the best German hospitals, contact Booking Health specialists. Here are the main services and benefits we offer:
- Selection of the best hospital, which specializes in pancreatic cancer treatment and has achieved the best results in this medical field.
- Reduced treatment cost due to the lack of extra charges for foreign patients.
- Should the cost of therapy be changed, the extra costs will be covered by a medical insurance, so the patient will not pay more than what is stipulated by the program.
- We will provide the full control of invoices and guarantee the return of unspent funds upon the medical program completion, if any.
- Arrangement of an appointment with the doctor at the most suitable dates for the patient.
- Full control of the examination and treatment program at all its stages.
- Communication with the doctor, including upon the program completion.
- Organization of additional diagnostics, treatment or rehabilitation in the German hospital.
- Assistance in buying and forwarding medicines.
Booking Health will provide you with all the necessary services. We will help you to book a hotel, draw up documents, meet you at the airport and take you to the hospital by car, provide interpreting services for free communication with the physicians of the medical facility.