Duodenal cancer is a serious oncopathology with unfavorable prognosis. It is quite rarely diagnosed and amounts only 2% in the structure of oncological diseases. Even if detected at the initial stages, the possibility of a complete cure of the disease is far from the highest because duodenal cancer metastasizes early and develops rapidly.
Symptoms and diagnostics
The disease has the following symptoms:
- yellow skin and enlarged liver, which occur due to the bile duct compression (bile can not enter the intestine, therefore it flows into the bloodstream);
- pain due to the mechanical pressure of the tumor and the infiltration of nearby organs;
- vomiting after eating with an admixture of bile and blood, which is the result of small bowel obstruction;
- intoxication symptoms, such as weakness, high body temperature, weight loss, etc.
The tumor is easily detected using X-ray examination or fibrogastroduodenoscopy. Its origin is confirmed by performing a biopsy. A fragment of the tumor is sent for a histological examination. CT or MRI serve to obtain clarifying information (stage of duodenal cancer, type of tumor blood supply, specificities of its location, resectability, etc.).
The basis of duodenal cancer treatment is a surgical intervention. Depending on the tumor location, its size, the presence of metastases, it can be performed with different accesses.
If you are going to undergo treatment abroad, then you should know that doctors with a high probability will give preference to the following minimally invasive operations:
- endoscopic tumor resection, which is carried out with the access through the oral cavity;
- laparoscopic surgery, which involves the removal of the tumor through minimal incisions in the anterior abdominal wall.
However, such interventions are possible only at the initial stage of the disease. Open surgeries with laparotomy access are more common. Duodenal cancer is treated using total resection, which means that the organ will be removed totally. At the same time, the following organs can be removed as well:
- lymph nodes;
- head of the pancreas;
- part of the liver;
- small intestine, etc.
The surgery is followed by a course of chemotherapy. To destroy the remaining tumor cells, radiation therapy can also be used. The treatment of cancer using these methods reduces the risk of recurrence.
If you want, you can undergo treatment abroad. Medical tourism gives a person a lot of options to restore health. After all, it allows him to go to a country with a well developed medicine. Although, the treatment costs may be higher but the treatment results are often better as well.
Many patients prefer Germany. The cost of treatment is not low here. For example, the treatment of duodenal cancer using the total resection costs no less than 20 thousand euros. But, despite the higher treatment costs, a person receives a number of advantages:
- high-precision diagnostics;
- high-quality operations performed by professionals;
- minimally invasive treatment with a short recovery period, if possible;
- high chances for a complete cure of duodenal cancer (in the case of timely diagnostics);
- effective cancer treatment using innovative techniques;
- low probability of complications;
- full rehabilitation after surgery.
Organization of cancer treatment abroad
If the cost of treatment does not stop you and you want to go to Germany, the Booking Health company is ready to arrange this trip for you. We provide the following services and benefits:
- selection of the hospital, which achieves the best success in the treatment of this cancer;
- reduced treatment costs, as we agree with the hospital about the absence of coefficients for foreign patients;
- communication with your attending physician;
- preparation of the treatment program taking into account the results of previous examinations;
- booking the appointment on the convenient date for you;
- buying and forwarding of medicines;
- monitoring of the treatment program at all its stages;
- control of invoices and return of unspent funds;
- high-level service: booking of hotel and airline tickets, transfer from the airport.
Thus, thanks to the Booking Health company, the cost of treatment will be lower. You will receive an interpreter and a full package of services. We will take care of all the organizational issues and you will be able to fully concentrate on the restoration of your health.