University Hospital RWTH Aachen
Department of Adult and Pediatric Urology (26090)
Specialized in: adult and pediatric urology
About the department
According to the Focus magazine, the Department of Adult and Pediatric Urology at the University Hospital RWTH Aachen ranks among the top German medical facilities specializing in prostate cancer treatment!
The department offers services for the diagnostics and treatment of diseases of the kidneys, urinary tract and pathologies of the reproductive organs in men. The therapeutic options are complemented by the treatment of urological problems in children. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Thomas-Alexander Vögeli.
The department's doctors focus on the patients with oncopathologies (prostate cancer, renal cell cancer, bladder cancer, testicular cancer). Of particular interest is minimally invasive therapy of stones in the kidneys, ureters and bladder. The doctors have in their arsenal conventional and the very latest conservative, drug and surgical therapies, which allow them to achieve the best result in clinical cases of varying severity.
The department is proud of its Section of Robotic Surgery, the foundation of which allowed the medical facility to move to a new level of medical services. At the moment, the department's surgeons have a perfect command of robotic surgery techniques that have several advantages over the classical ones. The department also carries out a unique thermotherapy for bladder cancer treatment (HIVEC) using the Combat BRS system.
The department specializes in the treatment of the following urological diseases:
- Bladder diseases
- Bladder cancer
- Overactive bladder
- Testicular diseases
- Testicular cancer
- Urinary incontinence in men and women
- Kidney diseases
- Kidney cancer
- Kidney and ureter stones
- Prostate diseases
- Prostate cancer
- Urological diseases in children
- Other pathologies
The main clinical focuses of the department include:
- Drug treatment (including cancers)
- Classic surgical interventions
- Minimally invasive treatment for kidney and ureter stones
- Reconstructive surgery in urinary incontinence
- All types of urinary diversion after radical cystectomy
- Robotic surgery using the innovative da Vinci surgical system
- Radical prostatectomy
- Radical cystectomy (bladder resection) in bladder cancer
- Partial and radical nephrectomy (kidney resection) in kidney cancer
- Reconstructive interventions on the ureters (for example, in stenosis)
- Other therapeutic options
Education and Professional Сareer
- 1975 - 1982 Study of Human Medicine, Julius Maximilian University of Würzburg.
- 1983 - 1984 Assistant Physician, Department of Urology, Bundeswehr Hospital Giessen.
- 1984 - 1985 One-year practice (Surgery), Hofgarten Hospital Aschaffenburg.
- 1986 Research Fellow, Department of Urology, University Hospital Duesseldorf.
- 1986 Doctoral thesis defense with honors, University of Giessen.
- 1990 Board certification in Urology, Medical Association of North Rhine.
- 1991 Acting Head of the Department and Development Specialist of the Section of Pediatric Urology, University Hospital Duesseldorf.
- 1995 Senior Physician, Department of Urology, University Hospital Duesseldorf.
- 1995 Habilitation and Venia legendi in Urology, University of Duesseldorf.
- 1996 C2 Assistant Professor.
- 1998 - 2004 Leading Senior Physician and Deputy Head of the Department of Urology, University Hospital Duesseldorf.
- 2002 Additional qualification in Urological Surgery, Medical Association of the North Rhine, as well as appointment as Examiner in Urology, Medical Association of North Rhine.
- 2003 Extraordinary Professor.
- 2004 Chief Physician, Department of Adult and Pediatric Urology, Aachen Medical Center.
- 2007 Advanced training in Drug Therapy for Cancers.
- 2009 Advanced Training in Andrology, Medical Association of North Rhine.
- 2011 Commission Member on the development of S3 guidelines for prostate cancer treatment.
- 2016 Head of the Department of Adult and Pediatric Urology at the University Hospital RWTH Aachen.
- 1989, 1998, 2005, 2010 Paul Mellin Prize, North Rhine-Westphalian Association of Urology.
- 1993 Award at the European Symposium on Urolithiasis.
- 1995 Peter Bischoff Prize, North German Society of Urology.
- 1997 Heinrich Warner Prize in Urological Oncology.
- 2000 Award in Urological Oncology, European Association of Urology.
- 2001 BARD Award of the German Society of Urology.
- 2002 Maximilian Nitze Prize of the German Society of Urology.
- 2003 Scholar Award of the European Association of Urology.
- 2009 Bernd Schönberger Prize of the Working Group on Kidney Transplantation of the German Society of Urology.
Membership and Cooperation in Scientific Organizations, Committees
- Board Member of the Working Group on Urological Oncology of the German Cancer Society.
- Board Member of the Interdisciplinary Working Group on Testicular Tumors of the German Cancer Society.
- Commission Member on the development of prostate cancer treatment guidelines of the German Society of Urology.
- Commission Chairman for the development of prostate cancer treatment guidelines, European Society of Urology
- Board Member of the European Society for Urological Oncology.
- Council Member of the European Germ Cell Cancer Consensus Group.
- Focus working group on Testicular Tumors of the French Cancer Society.
- Advisory Member of the Society of Urological Oncology, Belarus.
- Advisory Member of the Society of Urological Oncology, Russia.
- Advisory Member of the Society of Urological Oncology, Turkey.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Uniklinik RWTH Aachen
Department of Adult and Pediatric Urology.
University Hospital RWTH Aachen:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.