Samsung Medical Center Seoul
Department of Adult and Pediatric Cardiothoracic Surgery (404750)
Kim Dong Ik
Specialized in: adult and pediatric cardiothoracic surgery
About the department
The Department of Adult and Pediatric Cardiothoracic Surgery at the Samsung Medical Center offers the full range of services in this field and specializes in the surgical treatment of heart, lung and esophageal diseases. The department has state-of-the-art operating rooms where interventions of any severity are performed. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Kim Dong Ik.
It should be noted that the department is the Korean leader in open heart surgery – 1200 surgical interventions a year. The department is known not only due to the number of operations conducted, but also due to their outstanding results, the lowest mortality rate in the country.
The service range of the department includes:
- Diagnosis and surgical treatment of cardiovascular diseases
- Coronary artery bypass grafting
- Heart valve replacement surgeries (aortic, mitral, tricuspid valves)
- Heart transplantation
- Coronary artery surgery
- Surgical treatment of heart failure
- Surgical treatment of heart diseases in children
- Other services
- Thoracic surgery
- Surgical treatment of lung diseases, including hereditary ones
- Surgical treatment of pleural diseases
- Surgical treatment of mediastinal diseases
- Surgical treatment of pneumothorax
- Surgical treatment of hyperhidrosis
- Surgical treatment of thoracic diseases in children
- Lung transplantation
- Surgery to treat lung cancer
- Other services
- Esophageal surgery
- Surgical treatment of other diseases
- Study of Medicine at the Hanyang University.
- Fellowship at the Medical School of the Osaka University.
- Residency at the Hanyang University Hospital.
- Internship at the Hanyang University Hospital.
- Visiting Professor, Division of Vascular Surgery, Oregon Health Science University (USA).
Clinical and Research Interests
- Therapeutic angiogenesis with the use of stem cells.
- Tissue engineering of vascular prosthetic graft.
- Gene expression in vascular disease.
- Pathogenesis of intimal hyperplasia.
- Pathogenesis of thrombosis.
- Pathogenesis of Buerger's disease.
- Pathogenesis of atherosclerosis.
- Congenital vascular malformations.
Membership in the Academic Societies (selected)
- Editor-In-Chief of the International Journal of Stem Cells.
- President of the Asian Venous Forum.
- Vice President of the Society of Vascular Biomedical Engineering.
- Vice President of the Korean Association of Clinical Ultrasound.
- Director of the Korean Society of Phlebology.
- Chairman of the Organizing Committee of International Union of Phlebologists (2015).
- Executive Board of the Korean Society for Vascular Surgery.
- Editorial Board of the World Journal of Surgical Procedures.
- Advisory Editorial Board of the Journal of Lymphology and Oncology.
- Editorial Board of the International Journal of Angiology.
- Fellow of the American College of Surgeons.
- Fellow of the International College of Angiology.
- Member of the European Society for Vascular Surgery.
- Member of the International Union of Angiologists.
- Member of the International Society of Lymphology.
- Member of the International Society for the Study of Vascular Anomalies.
- Member of the Asian Society of Vascular Surgery.
- Board of the Korean Society of Vascular Surgery.
- Board of the Korean Society of Phlebology.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Samsung Medical Center
Department of Adult and Pediatric Cardiothoracic Surgery.
Samsung Medical Center Seoul:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.