St. Remigius Hospital Opladen Leverkusen
Department of Adult and Pediatric Spinal Surgery (303018)
Specialized in: adult and pediatric spinal surgery
About the department
The Department of Adult and Pediatric Spinal Surgery at the St. Remigius Hospital Opladen Leverkusen offers the full range of conservative and surgical treatment of degenerative diseases, injuries and deformities of the spine. The department's specialists have a huge number of treatment methods, which guarantee each patient an individual therapy regimen focused on the optimal result. If surgical treatment is necessary, all the interventions are performed in accordance with the very latest standards and using sparing microscopic or minimally invasive techniques. The ultimate goal of the department's doctors is not only the elimination of spinal pathology, but also the best possible preservation of spine function. The department is headed by PD Dr. med. Cornelius Jacobs.
The department specializes in the treatment of diseases of the intervertebral discs, spinal injuries, correction of congenital or acquired spinal deformities, as well as in the treatment of vertebral fractures due to osteoporosis and spinal cancers. Initially, the department's doctors provide conservative treatment (for example, medication, therapeutic exercises, blockades for the elimination of back pain, etc.), but if they cannot achieve the desired result, they resort to surgical measures. Spinal surgery is performed using the very latest surgical techniques, such as microsurgery, minimally invasive procedures, neuromonitoring in order to exclude damage to functionally important spinal structures.
The department's priority is the treatment of benign and malignant spinal tumors. Regardless of the tumor nature, the neoplasms can often compress the spinal cord and nerve roots.Therefore, the department's surgeons carry out effective surgical interventions, which serve for tumor resection and stenosis elimination.
Of particular interest to the department is also the treatment of age-related spinal changes and back pain in elderly people. In this case, therapy aims to eliminate the symptoms and improve patient's mobility. An important component of postoperative treatment is rehabilitation, which helps to maximally restore spinal mobility and consolidate the result of the operation.
The department's range of medical services includes:
- Diagnostics and treatment of spinal disc herniation
- Diagnostics and treatment of spinal tumors and their complications (for example, stenosis)
- Diagnostics and treatment of spinal injuries
- Diagnostics and treatment of rheumatic spinal diseases
- Stabilizing spinal operations (spinal fusion)
- Conservative treatment of spinal diseases, including physiotherapy, CT-guided facet joint block, etc.
- Surgical treatment of spinal deformities in children and adults (spondylolisthesis, kyphosis and scoliosis)
- Spinal surgery in the elderly people
- Other therapeutic options
Professional and Scientific Career
- Since 01.04.2019 Head of the Department of Adult and Pediatric Spinal Surgery at the St. Remigius Hospital Opladen Leverkusen.
- 2016 - 2019 Senior Physician, Spinal Surgery Center (Level 1), Department of Orthopedics and Traumatology, University Hospital Bonn.
- 2014 - 2016 Head of Unit and Senior Physician, Department of Traumatology and Spinal Surgery, Charite University Hospital Berlin, Campus Virchow.
- 2012 - 2014 Board certification, Charite University Hospital Berlin, Campus Virchow.
- 2006 - 2010 Assistant Physician, Department of Traumatology and Orthopedics, BG Unfallklinik Ludwigshafen.
- 01.2009 - 12.2009 Rotation in the Department of Orthopedics at the University Hospital Heidelberg.
- 01.05.2004 -10.2006 Assistant Physician, Department of Surgery at the University Hospital Heidelberg.
- 2004 Full admission to Medical Practice.
- 2003 Internship.
- 2002 One-year practice in Surgery at the Chris Hani Baragwanath Hospital (Academic Hospital of the University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, South Africa), Department of Internal Medicine at the Tribhuvan University Teaching Hospital (Kathmandu, Nepal), Department of Anesthesiology at the Hanover Medical School.
- 1996 - 2002 Study of Human Medicine at the University of Göttingen and the Hannover Medical School.
- Habilitation in Orthopedics and Traumatology, University of Bonn. Subject: "Fracture of the thoracic spine – development and minimally invasive stabilization using 3D optical techniques".
- Doctoral thesis defense, Hannover Medical School, Department of Neurosurgery, Nordstadtkrankenhaus Hannover. Subject: "Clinical assessment of meningioma of the wing of sphenoid bone with special attention to surgical resectability".
- Intraoperative 3D imaging, as well as 3D endoscopic procedures in spinal surgery.
- Analysis of accident mechanisms and their impact on spinal injuries.
- Master's certificate of the German Society for Spine Surgery (DWG).
- Basic certificate of the German Society for Spine Surgery (DWG).
- European Spine Course Diploma.
- Additional qualification in Special Orthopedic Surgery.
- Additional qualifications in Special Traumatology.
- Additional qualification in Emergency Medicine.
- Director of ATLS Medical Course.
- Director of PHTLS Medical Course.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Katholische Kranken- und Pflegeeinrichtungen Leverkusen GmbH
Department of Adult and Pediatric Spinal Surgery.
St. Remigius Hospital Opladen Leverkusen:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.