University Hospital Giessen UKGM
location_on Giessen, Germany
Department of Ophthalmology, Pediatric ophthalmology ( 113971)
Prof. Dr. med.
Specialized in: ophthalmology
Curriculum vitae keyboard_arrow_down Publications keyboard_arrow_down
- Since 8/2007: Professor (W3) and Head of the Department of Ophthalmology and Polyclinic, Justus Liebig University Giessen
- 1996 – 2007: Head of the independent Department of Pediatric Ophthalmology, Strabismology and Ophthalmic Genetics at the Department of Ophthalmology and Polyclinic, University Hospital Regensburg
- 1991 – 2007:Professor of Ophthalmology (C3)(Strabismology, Neuro-ophthalmology, Pediatric Ophthalmology and Ophthalmic Geneticist) University of Regensburg
- 1989: PhD thesis (Habilitation), Ophthalmology, Ludwig-Maximilian University of Munich Academic Education
- 1997: Fellow of the European Board of Ophthalmologists (FEBO)
- 1991: Certified Medical Geneticist (additional specialization)
- 1986 – 1991: Academic Advisor and Senior Academic Advisor (University of Munich)
- 1983:research internship, Institute of Ophthalmology(London) andMoorfields Eye Hospital, London, England
- 1982: Qualified Ophthalmologist
- 1977 – 1986: Research Fellow, Department of Ophthalmology, University of Munich
- 1977: Approbation (MD)
- 1974: MD Thesis (Honors), University of Munich
- 1968 – 1974:Study of Medicine, Faculty of Medicine,Ludwig-Maximilian University of Munich and Sorbonne University, Paris, memberships, honors, awards
- Since 2015: Vice President of theVon Behring-Röntgen Foundation
- Since 2013: Member of the Steering Committee, EVICR.netclinical research network, Member of the European Vision Institute Clinical Research Network EVICR.net. and Coordinator for Rare Diseases
- Since 2013: Member of the expanded Presidium of the German Ophthalmological Society (DOG)
- Since 2012: Elected Member of Academia Ophthalmologica Internationalis (AOI),
- Since 2012: Elected Member of theEuropean Academy of Ophthalmology (EAO),
- 2012: Visiting Professor, Children's Hospital of the Harvard University
- 2011:Teacher who received the award of the European Stabilization Society ESA, Bruges 12-09-2011. The role of pigment in the visual system.
- 2011 Award of the European Stabological Society (ESA), Bruges, 12-09-2011. The role of pigment in the visual system.
- 2002-2010 President of the European Pediatric Ophthalmological Society (EPOS)
- 2001 - 2005 President of the Bielschowsky Society for Strabismus and Neuro-ophthalmology
- Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology (ARVO)
- German Ophthalmological Society (DOG), Founding Member and Speaker of the DOG Genetics Divisions
- American Academy of Ophthalmology
- Bielschowsky Society for Strabismus and Neuro-ophthalmology
- German Society of Human Genetics
- German Retina Society
- European Pediatric Ophthalmology Society (EPOS)
- European Stabological Society (EKA)
- International Society for Genetic Eye Diseases and Retinoblastoma(ISGEDR)
- International Society for Clinical Electrophysiology of Vision (ISCEV)
- Ophthalmic Genetics Study Club
- Reviewer of Grant Applications: German Research Foundation (DFG), Initiative Usher Syndrom e. V., Forschung contra Blindheit (Germany), Pro Retina (Germany), Wellcome Trust (England), Scottish Hospital Endowments Research Trust (SHERT)
- Reviewer and Examiner for international PhD and professorships: Cleveland, Ohio, USA, Essen, Giessen, Hannover,KhonKaen, Thailand, Cologne Lausanne, Switzerland, Lille, France, Montpellier, France, Amsterdam, Netherlands, Nantes, France Philadelphia, USA
- Reviewer for scientific journals (Board Member of some of them):American Journal of Ophthalmology, Archives of Ophthalmology, BioMed Central British Journal of Ophthalmology, Clinical Genetics, Der Ophthalmologe, DocumentaOphthalmologica, European Journal of Ophthalmology, Expert Reviews, Eye German Journal of Ophthalmology, Graefe's Archive of Ophthalmology, Human Mutations, Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science, Journal of the American Association of Pediatric Ophthalmology and Strabismus JAAPOS, Journal for Cataract and Refractive Surgery, Clinical Monthly for Ophthalmology (KlinischeMonatsblätterfürAugenheilkunde), Molecular Vision
- Pediatric monthly: Neuropaediatrics, Neuroophthalmology, Ophthalmic Genetics, Ophthalmologica, Ophthalmology, Pediatrics, Retina, Strabismus
Work in the Board of Specialized Societies and Scientific Colleges:
- Since 2012: Founder and Speaker of the Unit of Genetics at theGerman Ophthalmological Society (DOG), Member of the General Presidium of the German Ophthalmological Society
- Since 2007: Member of the Scientific Advisory Council of ACHSE e.V. (Alliance for Chronic Rare Diseases)
- 2002 - 2006: Member of the General Presidium of the German Ophthalmological Society
- 2002: Founding President of the European Pediatric Ophthalmological Society
- 1999: Member of the Working Group on Clinical Issues of AKF of Pro Retina Deutschland e.V.
- 1998: Member of the Scientific and Medical Advisory Council of the Pro Retina Deutschland e. V.
- 1993-1997 Board Member of the German Ophthalmological Society. Other activities: doctor for the blind and visually impaired of the federal state of Hesse; Decentralized Commissioner for women's affairs in higher education institutions, FB 11,Justus Liebig University Giessen
Main research interests:
- Retinopathy of premature infants, ophthalmogenetics, development of new psychophysiological research methods, ocular imaging, new surgical techniques for eye diseases in childre
- Diagnosis, conservative and surgical treatment of strabismus of all degrees of severity
- Diagnosis and treatment of neuro-ophthalmological diseases
- Diagnosis, conservative and surgical treatment of eye diseases in children, in particular, congenital cataracts, congenital glaucoma, uveitis, problems with vision organs related to prematurity
- Diagnosis, treatment and genetic counselling for hereditary eye diseases
- Optical and electronic rehabilitation
- Telemedicine ophthalmologic screening for premature infants
- Ratio of genotype and phenotype in monogenic hereditary rare eye diseases in collaboration with numerous national and international partners.
- Medical imaging, electrophysiology and psychophysics in hereditary eye diseases.
- Telematics in retinopathy of premature infants for preventing blindness.
- Research on genetic factors of different forms of strabismus.
- > more than 250 scientific papers, 50 chapters, 20 cases / proceedings, author of 3 books
- Ms. Prof. Lorenz is a member of the board and an ordinary member of numerous specialized societies, scientific colleges and commissions.She is an expert in numerous national and international specialized journals and institutions that provide sponsorship for research funding.She is an author and co-author of numerous books and journals.Ms. Prof. Lorenz haspublished more than 150 scientific papers and written more than 50 articles in books.
The Department of Ophthalmology at the University Hospital Giessen under the direction of Univ.-Prof. Dr. med. Birgit Lorenz offers entire spectrum of both conservative and surgical ophthalmology. The Department of Ophthalmology at Giessen is the largest German-speaking clinic specialized in the diseases of eye muscles of any severity. Another priority is the diagnosis and treatment of hereditary eye diseases. The Department is the center of the best medical care with all advanced diagnostic and treatment possibilities.
At the specialized consultations on ophthalmic genetics the specialists of the Department provide patients with both diagnosis and counseling. These patients undergo basic ophthalmological diagnosis, which results in the detection of eye diseases with hereditary components. Prof. Lorenz specializes not only in ophthalmology, but also has an additional qualification in human genetics. Through a combination of high quality clinical diagnostic methods with molecular genetic diagnosis in the lab, the Department of Ophthalmology offers specialized counseling with exceptional competence in the field of hereditary eye diseases, which means that patients can receive the most advanced medical consultations and assistance in planning the future.
Particular attention is also paid to plastic reconstructive and aesthetic surgery. Since Prof. Lorenz has a special education, the Department of Ophthalmology can perform all kinds of plastic reconstructive and aesthetic surgeries on the outer area of the eye. These include interventions and correction of the eyelids in the periorbital area, lacrimal ducts and eye orbit. Mrs. Prof. Lorenz has acquired special professional expertise and skills, which have been certified by the German Ophthalmological Society and the Professional Association of German Ophthalmologists. Mrs. Prof. Lorenz has performed over 300 plastic reconstructive and aesthetic operations on the eyes.
The University Hospital Giessen is especially focused on pediatric ophthalmology, since it also includes the clinical pictures that differ significantly from eye diseases in adults. Children can develop various changes in the eye from their birth and these require special, in some cases even the most rapid treatment, which can prevent life-long health consequences.
The priority focuses of the Department of Ophthalmology at the University Hospital Giessen:
- Pediatric ophthalmology
- Ophthalmic genetics
- Surgical retinology
- Strabology (strabismus)
- Diabetic retinopathy
- Age-related macular degeneration
- Cataract surgery
- Treatment of glaucoma
- Electrophysiology and psychophysics
- Ophthalmology and flights
- Federal ophthalmologist for blind patients
- Orthoptic Training Center
- Ophthalmic medical reports
- Devices for vision correction
- Selection of contact lenses
- Plastic reconstructive and aesthetic surgery