University Hospital Giessen UKGM
Department of Adult and Pediatric Trauma Surgery, Hand Surgery, Reconstructive Surgery (70)
Specialized in: adult and pediatric trauma surgery, hand surgery, reconstructive surgery
About the department
The Department of Adult and Pediatric Trauma Surgery, Hand Surgery, Reconstructive Surgery at the University Hospital Giessen UKGM offers conservative and surgical treatment of all injuries of the musculoskeletal system. The spectrum is complemented by sports medicine and the treatment of injuries of all degrees of severity after transport, domestic, sports and industrial accidents. The Chief Physician of the department is Prof. Dr. med. Dr. h.c. Christian Heiss.
The department specializes in various types of osteosynthesis for the treatment of bone fractures, as well as in the very latest arthroscopic procedures for ligament and joint reconstruction, meniscus surgery, as well as cartilage tissue replacement operations in large joints. The tasks of the department’s doctors include joint replacement surgery, in particular, knee, hip, ankle, shoulder, elbow, wrist and finger joints. Another department’s focus is septic surgery for soft tissue and bone infections, defects.
All surgical interventions are performed in the ultramodern operating rooms with excellent technical equipment. With appropriate indications, the surgeons perform sparing minimally invasive interventions that guarantee a faster recovery of the patient.
The department is proud of its successful clinical practice, thanks to which it has gained the status of a maximum care medical facility, a supraregional Trauma Center and a Center for Severe Injuries.
The department’s range of medical services includes:
- Joint replacement surgery
- Knee replacement surgery
- Hip replacement surgery
- Shoulder replacement surgery
- Elbow replacement surgery
- Ankle replacement surgery
- Wrist replacement surgery
- Finger replacement surgery
- Hand surgery
- Minimally invasive and open surgical treatment for hand injuries
- Dupuytren's contracture treatment
- Treatment of thumb carpometacarpal, wrist arthrosis
- Wrist and finger joint replacement surgery
- Elbow and wrist arthroscopy
- Treatment of carpal tunnel syndrome
- Tendon surgery
- Revision interventions
- Fracture treatment
- Microsurgical interventions
- Primary and secondary nerve ending surgery
- Correction of hand malformations in children
- Ganglion treatment
- Surgical treatment of hand rheumatic lesions
- Surgical oncology
- Knee surgery
- Knee arthroscopy
- Knee lavage (in cases of septic and aseptic lesions)
- Treatment of knee cartilage lesions
- Cartilage smoothing
- Cartilage transplantation (autologous)
- Treatment of meniscus injuries
- Treatment of knee ligament rupture
- Removal of the synovial membrane
- Removal of the free articular body
- Treatment of patellar dislocation
- Pediatric traumatology
- Conservative treatment of bone fractures
- Surgical treatment of musculoskeletal injuries
- Correction of posttraumatic deformities
- Treatment of congenital and acquired malformations of the musculoskeletal system
- Burn treatment
- Treatment of polytrauma in children
- Conservative and surgical treatment of shoulder injuries, diseases
- Conservative and surgical treatment of pelvic injuries
- Minimally invasive procedures for joint fractures
- Conservative and surgical treatment of spinal fractures
- Septic surgery (treatment of bone, joint and soft tissue infections)
- Osteoporosis treatment
- Polytrauma treatment
- Emergency medical care
- Other medical services
- Study of Human Medicine at the University of Mainz.
- Board certification in Surgery, Orthopedics and Traumatology.
- 2006 Habilitation.
Awards and Honors
- May 2019 President of the Conference of the Association of South German Orthopedists and Trauma Surgeons (VSOU) in Baden-Baden.
- May 2018 Leading Surgeon of the Working Group on Trauma Surgery.
- March 2018 Honorary Member of the Romanian Society of Arthroscopy and Sports Traumatology (SRATS).
- November 2016 Honorary Doctorate of the University of Craiova, Romania.
- March 2013 Award for Research in Osteology (as part of a group) of the German Academy of the Osteological and Rheumatological Sciences in Weimar.
- November 2011 Poster Award of the German Congress on Orthopedics and Trauma Surgery (DKOU) in Berlin.
- September 2011 Poster Award, Giessen Alumni Center (Award for Doctoral Dissertation).
- February 2007 Award (ÖGU and GOTS) at the Vienna Symposium of the Future in Vienna, Austria.
- November 2003 First Poster Award by the German Society of Traumatology at the Congress of German Trauma Surgeons in Berlin.
- February 2003 First Poster Award (ÖGU and GOTS) at the Vienna Symposium of the Future in Vienna, Austria.
- July 2001 Appointment as a Member of the Alumni Association (AOAA) in Davos, Switzerland.
- November 2001 Poster Award by the German Society of Traumatology at the Congress of German Trauma Surgeons in Berlin.
- 2000 Harvard Fellowship at the Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Department of Orthopedic Hand Surgery, Boston, USA.
- October 1999 Prize of the German Society of Orthopedics and Traumatology (DGOT) in Wiesbaden.
- July 1999 Howard Prize from the University of Mississippi, Medical Center, Department of Orthopedics, Jackson (USA).
- April 2005 Member of the German Society of Traumatology (DGU).
- February 2006 Member of the Network for Experimental Traumatology.
- October 2006 Founding member of the Working Group on Osteology at the German Society of Traumatology (DGU).
- January 2009 Member of the Working Group on Arthroscopic Surgery.
- January 2009 Member of the SkillsLab Working Group at the Justus Liebig University Giessen.
- February 2009 Bone Adhesive Advisory Board.
- March 2009 Member of the Task Force (responsible for teaching) of the German Society of Orthopedics and Traumatology.
- September 2009 Commissioner at Op-Statuten-Kommission, University Hospital Giessen.
- October 2009 Member of the American Orthopedic Traumatology Association.
- March 2010 Member of the Health Advisory Board.
- March 2010 Member of the Working Group on Traumatology.
- July 2010 Board Member of SFB / TRR 79.
- July 2010 Member of the Advisory Board on Osteoporosis Fractures.
- September 2010 Member of the Advisory Board on Osteoarthritis.
- September 2010 Member of the International Center for Natural Sciences of Giessen, Section 1/8.
- October 2010 Member of the Committee on Traumatology.
- December 2010 Member of the German-Speaking Association for Arthroscopy (AGA).
- August 2012 Member of the Steering Committee of the German Society of Orthopedics and Traumatology (aseptic necrosis of the femoral head).
- 2014 Member of the Scientific Committee of the German Society of Traumatology (DGU).
- 2014 Member of the Scientific Committee of the German Society of Orthopedic and Trauma Surgery (DGOUC).
- 2016 IQM Reviewer (Initiative Program on Quality Medicine).
Department of Adult and Pediatric Trauma Surgery, Hand Surgery, Reconstructive Surgery.
University Hospital Giessen UKGM:
Request more information now.
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
Thank you for your confidence in the Booking Health portal.
A medical coordinator will contact you within 24 hours and answer all questions that might interest you.
you will receive a reply shortly Home