University Hospital Bonn
Department of General, Abdominal, Thoracic and Vascular Surgery (26429)
Jörg C. Kalff
Specialized in: general, abdominal, thoracic, vascular surgery
About the Department of General, Abdominal, Thoracic and Vascular Surgery at University Hospital Bonn
The Department of General, Abdominal, Thoracic and Vascular Surgery at the University Hospital Bonn offers the full range of diagnostic and treatment services in these areas. The special competence of the department’s specialists lies in the field of surgical treatment of malignant diseases of the esophagus, stomach, intestines, liver, pancreas, lungs, thyroid, adrenal glands and tumor metastases in tissues and organs. The service spectrum is complemented by transplant surgery, namely liver and pancreas transplantations. Key role is played by interdisciplinary collaboration. The Chief Physician of the department is Prof. Dr. med. Jörg C. Kalff.
The treatment plans for cancer patients are developed by the interdisciplinary teams, which include specialists from all the relevant fields. If necessary, surgery is complemented by chemotherapy and/or radiation therapy. To operate with less damage to the body and to accelerate patient recovery after surgery, preference is given to minimally invasive surgical interventions.
Another department’s competence is abdominal surgery that focuses on surgical procedures performed in the abdominal region. These include diseases of the esophagus, stomach, small intestine and colon, spleen, liver and gallbladder (gastrointestinal surgery), as well as the thyroid gland, parathyroid glands, adrenal glands and pancreas (endocrine surgery). The use of modern minimally invasive techniques provides a more sparing and safe treatment for the patient.
One of the most common diagnoses faced by surgeons of the department is lung cancer (bronchogenic cancer) and lung metastases from cancer in other organs. In addition, the tasks of the department’s thoracic surgeons include the treatment of tumors and metastases to the mediastinal organs (thymic tumors, neurogenic tumors, etc.), pleural tumors, inflammatory diseases of the lungs and pleura, pneumothorax, vascular anomalies of the lungs, etc. The doctors use multimodal treatment programs that combine chemotherapy and/or radiation therapy with surgery in different sequences.
The vascular surgery team has an excellent reputation. Thanks to close cooperation with the Departments of Radiology and Interventional Angiology, along with surgery, the department offers all endovascular and interventional treatments, as well as special methods, such as endoluminal therapy of the infrarenal aortic aneurysm using stent graft. Major interventions on the thoracic aorta are performed in collaboration with the Department of Cardiovascular Surgery using a heart-lung machine.
The department’s diagnostic and therapeutic service range includes:
- General surgery
- All standard operations (surgical treatment of hernia, etc.)
- Surgical treatment of internal organs (thyroid, etc.)
- Surgical repair of minor defects (skin abscesses, etc.)
- Surgical oncology
- Esophageal cancer
- Gastric cancer
- Pancreatic cancer
- Surgical treatment of metastases and peritoneal carcinomatosis
- Abdominal surgery
- Treatment of benign tumors of the esophagus, stomach, small and large intestine, spleen, liver, biliary tract (surgical gastroenterology)
- Surgical treatment of the thyroid gland and parathyroid glands, adrenal glands and pancreas (endocrine surgery)
- Treatment of diseases of the colon, small intestine and rectum (colorectal surgery and proctology)
- Treatment of malignancies of the liver, pancreas, bile ducts and gallbladder (hepatopancreatobiliary surgery)
- Thoracic surgery
- Lung cancer
- Lung metastases
- Benign lung tumors
- Tumors and metastases in mediastinal lymph nodes
- Pleural tumors
- Inflammatory diseases of the lungs and pleura
- Formation of effusion (pleurisy)
- Pulmonary emphysema
- Vascular anomalies of the lungs
- Benign and malignant tumors of the skin, subcutaneous fat, muscles in the thorax and chest wall
- Vascular surgery
- Surgical treatment of diseases of the arteries, veins and lymphatic vessels
- Transplant surgery
- Liver transplantation
- Pancreas transplantation
- Surgical treatment of other diseases and malformations
Curriculum vitae of Prof. Dr. med. Jörg C. Kalff
- 1981 - 1987 Study of Human Medicine, RWTH Aachen.
- 1986 - 1987 George Washington University School of Medicine, Washington DC, USA.
- 1988 Doctoral degree, RWTH Aachen. Thesis: "Evaluation of oxygen absorption by patients on artificial lung ventilation in the intensive care unit by indirect calorimetry and using the Fick principle: a methodical comparison."
- 1999 Habilitation, University of Bonn. Thesis: "Molecular mechanisms of postoperative intestinal motility disorders".
- 1989 - 1999 Head of the Medical Service in the Federal Armed Forces, emergency care in the city of Aurich, Richthofen squadron, Wittmund.
- 1989 Research Associate in the Department of Surgery at the University Hospital Bonn.
- 1991 Visiting Doctor, Thomas E. Starzl Transplantation Institute, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, PA, USA.
- 1993 Visiting Doctor, Department of Pediatric Transplantation, Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh, University of Pittsburgh, PA, USA.
- 1995 Qualified as a Medical Specialist in Surgery.
- Research Associate, Department of Surgery, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA, USA (Richard L. Simmons, M.D.).
- Research grant from the German Research Foundation (2 years), "Ischemia/reperfusion injury of the tunica muscularis of the small intestine", Departments of Surgery, Internal Medicine, Hepatology and Gastroenterology, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA, USA.
- Senior Physician in the Department of General, Abdominal, Thoracic and Vascular Surgery at the University Hospital Bonn (Head: Prof. Dr. A. Hirner).
- 1999/2000/2001 Visiting Assistant Research Professor, Department of Internal Medicine/Gastroenterology, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA, USA.
- 2001 Board Certification in Vascular Surgery.
- 2002 Board Certification in Abdominal Surgery.
- Since 2003, Scientific Director of the Clinical Research Group 115 of the German Research Foundation (Molecular and cellular basis of bowel pathophysiology after surgical interventions).
- 2003 Invitation to C3 Professorship (postoperative pathophysiology), University of Bonn.
- 2005 Leading Senior Physician in the Department of General, Abdominal, Thoracic and Vascular Surgery at the University Hospital Bonn (Head: Prof., Dr. A. Hirner).
- 2007 Additional qualifications in Proctology.
- 2009 Head of the Section of Transplantation and Hepatobiliary Surgery in the Department of General, Abdominal, Thoracic and Vascular Surgery at the University Hospital Bonn.
- 2010 Invitation to the position of W3 Professor of General and Thoracic Surgery, University of Kiel.
- 2010 Invitation to the position of W3 Professor of General and Abdominal Surgery, University of Bonn.
Membership and Review Activities in Professional Societies
- 1991 German Society of Surgery.
- 1993 German Society of Transplantology.
- 1998 Professional Association of German Surgeons.
- 2000 Berlin Surgical Society, Association of Surgeons of Berlin and Brandenburg.
- 2000 German Society of Abdominal Surgery.
- 2001 Surgical Studies Section of the German Society of Surgery.
- Association of German Universities.
- Member of the American College of Surgeons (FACS).
Photo of the doctor: (c) Universitätsklinikum Bonn
Department of General, Abdominal, Thoracic and Vascular Surgery.
University Hospital Bonn:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.