University Hospital Carl Gustav Carus Dresden
Department of Neurology (292199)
Specialized in: neurology
About the department
According to the Focus magazine, the Department of Neurology at the University Hospital Carl Gustav Carus Dresden ranks among the top German departments specializing in the treatment of multiple sclerosis, Alzheimer's disease and Parkinson's disease!
The department offers the full range of modern therapy for diseases of the central and peripheral nervous system, neuromuscular pathologies. Of particular interest is the treatment of brain circulatory disorders (stroke), multiple sclerosis, neurodegenerative diseases, such as Parkinson's disease and cerebellar diseases. The goal of all the department’s specialists is to provide optimal therapy for stabile improvement in the quality of life and patient health. The Chief Physician of the department is Prof. Dr. med. Heinz Reichmann.
The department’s competence also includes medical care for patients suffering from headaches, dizziness, memory and concentration impairment. An important clinical focus of the department is the treatment of epilepsy, including surgery. The department’s doctors possess exceptional experience in the treatment of Parkinson's disease. To achieve a long-term and positive therapy outcome, the most modern medicines, special pumps for administering medications and deep brain stimulation are used.
The department has a state-of-the-art Intensive Care Unit that provides medical care for patients with cerebral haemorrhages, meningitis and other serious brain diseases.
The clinical focuses of the department include:
- Diagnostic services
- Clinical electrophysiology (EMG, ENG, EEG)
- Tremor analysis
- Invasive neuromonitoring
- Neuropsychological diagnostics
- Special mitochondrial diagnostics, in particular, molecular genetic testing
- Therapeutic services
- Movement disorders
- Differential drug replacement therapy
- Deep brain stimulation
- Botulinum toxin treatment
- Differential drug therapy
- Multiple sclerosis
- Differential immunomodulation and immunosuppression
- Acute cerebrovascular accidents (strokes)
- Stroke unit
- Thrombolytic therapy
- Carotid stenting
- Neuromuscular diseases
- Impaired memory and concentration
- Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis
- Sleep disorders caused by neurological disorders
- Movement disorders
- Other medical services
- 1973 - 1979 Study of Human Medicine, Albert Ludwig University of Freiburg, one-year practice in the field of anesthesia (selected direction).
- 1979 Approbation in Medicine.
- 1979 Doctor of Medicine (very good), Faculty of Medicine of the University of Freiburg (03.12.1979) (under the direction of Prof. Dr. med. G.V. Löhr). Thesis subject: "Study of the kinetics of binding of strophanthin with the membrane of an intact erythrocyte: the interaction of intracellular sodium and potassium ions, the role of proton concentration and membrane potential."
- 1980 - 1983 Scholarship of the German Research Foundation and the Fritz Thyssen Foundation (special program for the promotion of especially gifted young scientists), Department of Biochemistry (Prof. Dr. D. Pette), University of Konstanz.
- 1981 - 1983 Scientific internship at the University College London (under the direction of Prof. Dr. G. Vrbova), studies devoted to the physiological analysis of dystrophic muscles.
- 1983 - 1984 Scholarship (granted by the German Research Foundation) at the Institute of Neurology, Columbia University, New York.
- 1988 Habilitation, Neurology (thesis devoted to mitochondrial myopathies) and Venia legendi.
- 1984 - 1987 Work at the public and private hospitals, in the Intensive Care Unit of the Department of Neurology at the University Hospital Würzburg.
- 1987 Work in the Emergency Unit (for one year) in the Department of Psychiatry at the University Hospital Würzburg.
- 1987 Neurologist.
- 1988 Clinical Senior Physician.
- 1988 - 1989 Special training in Neurophysiology.
- 1990 - 1996 University Professor of Neurology (C3), Senior Physician and Deputy Head of the department, Head of the Laboratory of Metabolism and Energy, Head of the Laboratory of Biochemical and Morphological Muscular Activities.
- 1992 - 1996 Member of the Council of the Faculty of Medicine at the University of Würzburg.
- 1992 - 1996 Member of the Ethics Committee of the University of Würzburg.
- Since 1996, Head of the Department of Neurology at the University Hospital Carl Gustav Carus Dresden.
- Since 2005, Dean of the Faculty of Medicine at the Technical University of Dresden.
- 2009 - 2010 1st Chairman of the German Society of Neurology.
- 2011 - 2012 President of the European Society of Neurology.
Awards and Honors
- 1984 Young Histochemists Award of the International Histochemical Society.
- 1987 Award of the International Society of Cerebral Blood Flow and Metabolism.
- 1988 Heinrich Pett Prize of the German Society of Neurology.
- 1988 Prize on the occasion of the 400th Anniversary since the founding of the University of Würzburg.
- 1991 Myopathy Prize of the German Society of Muscular Diseases.
- 1992 1st Poster Prize, Congress of German Neurologists in Saarbrücken.
- 1993 Award for the research on the central nervous system in geriatrics.
- Biochemical studies of energy metabolism and its disorders in the central nervous system, muscles, fibroblasts and blood cells.
- Since 01.05.1986, Study of mitochondrial cytopathies with the support of the German Research Foundation and Research Laboratories of the Department of Neurology of the University Hospital.
- 1989 - 1992 Muscle Fiber Measurement with the support of the research project of the Wilhelm Sander Foundation.
- Since February 1992, Study of biochemical and molecular biological aspects of Parkinson's disease, with the support of the Federal Ministry for Research and Technology, Frankfurt-Würzburg Union.
- Since September 1992, Study of the basal ganglia and their diseases with the support of the Federal Ministry for Research and Technology, Marburg-Göttingen-Würzburg Union.
Department of Neurology.
University Hospital Carl Gustav Carus Dresden:
Request more information now.
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
Thank you for your confidence in the Booking Health portal.
A medical consultant will contact you and answer all your questions in the near future.
you will receive a reply shortly Home