University Hospital Carl Gustav Carus Dresden
Department of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine (292210)
Specialized in: pediatric and adolescent medicine
About the department
The Department of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine at the University Hospital Carl Gustav Carus Dresden offers the full range of services in these fields. Of particular interest is the therapy of oncological and hematological diseases, pathologies of the gastrointestinal tract, diabetes mellitus, endocrine diseases, neonatal care, intensive therapy. The department employs experienced and competent specialists in various fields of pediatrics, who make every effort to ensure a speedy recovery for young patients. A confirmation of the high quality of the department’s services is the prestigious German certificate Ausgezeichne. FÜR KINDER. The Chief Physician of the department is Prof. Dr. med. Reinhard Berner.
All diagnostic capabilities of the department correspond to the highest technical level. For example, the department has the cutting-edge equipment for examining children with suspected cancer pathology, pulmonary function testing, ECG, echocardiography, EEG, gastroenterological endoscopy, pulmonary endoscopy, sleep studies (within the Pediatric Sleep Laboratory). The modern ultrasound technology provides an accurate preoperative diagnostics. In addition, the department operates the specialized outpatient clinics for the treatment of bleeding disorders / hemophilia, hemangiomas, infectious diseases in children, etc.
The department’s clinical focuses include:
- Diagnostics and treatment of endocrine diseases
- Type 1 and 2 diabetes mellitus, as well as rare forms of diabetes (MODY, diabetes mellitus in newborns, diabetes mellitus in cystic fibrosis)
- Obesity (alimentary, syndromic, Prader Willi syndrome)
- Growth disorders (short stature, tall stature, syndromic short stature)
- Puberty disorders (premature or late puberty)
- Thyroid disease (congenital hypothyroidism, Hashimoto thyroiditis, Graves disease)
- Congenital and acquired pituitary dysfunction
- Adrenal gland diseases (adrenogenital syndrome, Cushing's syndrome)
- Calcium and phosphate metabolism disorders, bone tissue metabolism disorders
- Disorders of sexual development in boys and girls, including polycystic ovary syndrome
- Endocrine tumors (pituitary, thyroid, adrenal tumors)
- Diagnostics and treatment of diseases of the gastrointestinal tract
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease
- Celiac disease
- Helicobacter pylori infection
- Carbohydrate malabsorption (lactose, fructose, etc.)
- Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis
- Familial adenomatous polyposis and other polyposis syndromes
- Chronic hepatitis B and C
- Autoimmune hepatitis
- Child care after liver transplantation
- Cholestatic liver diseases (biliary atresia, Alagille syndrome, etc.)
- Chronic pancreatitis and exocrine pancreatic insufficiency
- Diagnostics and treatment of diseases of the respiratory tract, allergies
- Obstructive bronchitis
- Bronchial asthma
- Cystic fibrosis
- Sleep-related breathing problems
- Congenital malformations of the lungs
- Bronchopulmonary dysplasia
- Interstitial lung diseases
- Atopic dermatitis
- Food allergies
- Neonatology and pediatric intensive care
- Monitoring of premature babies
- Neonatal hypoglycemia
- Septic shock
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Long-term lung ventilation
- Diagnostics and treatment of oncological, hematological diseases
- Brain tumors
- Solid tumors
- Rare tumors
- Benign blood disorders (for example, anemia)
- Diagnostics and treatment of heart diseases
- Congenital heart defects
- Inflammatory heart diseases
- Marfan syndrome
- Diagnostics and treatment of kidney diseases
- Malformations of the kidneys and urinary tract, including kidney syndromes (for example, urinary disorders, megaureter, polycystic kidney disease, kidney dysplasia, etc.)
- Nephrotic syndrome
- Chronic kidney failure
- Acute kidney failure (for example, hemolytic uremic syndrome)
- Kidney stone disease
- Nocturnal enuresis and bladder voiding disorders
- Diagnostics and treatment of blood clotting disorders
- Congenital and acquired hemophilia
- Von Willebrand disease
- Congenital and acquired thrombocytopenia
- Congenital platelet dysfunction (thrombocytopathy)
- Rare coagulation disorders (for example, coagulation factor deficiency, fibrinogen dysfunction)
- Vascular diseases (vasopathies)
- Diagnostics and treatment of infectious diseases
- Congenital infections and follow-up in identifying infections in the mother during pregnancy (for example, cytomegalovirus, toxoplasmosis, HIV, rubella, herpes)
- Neonatal sepsis
- Recurrent skin and ENT infections
- Infectious lesions of the lymph nodes (for example, in cat scratch disease and infection with atypical mycobacteria)
- Lyme disease and other infectious diseases caused by tick bites
- Infection with multi-resistant pathogens (for example, Staphylococcus aureus)
- Osteomyelitis and septic arthritis
- Rare infectious diseases
- Diagnostics and treatment of rheumatic diseases
- Juvenile idiopathic arthritis
- Arthralgia (joint pain)
- Lyme disease
- Collagenoses and vasculitis
- Chronic non-bacterial osteomyelitis and chronic recurrent multifocal osteomyelitis
- Fever syndromes (autoinflammatory diseases)
- Diagnostics and treatment of diseases of the immune system
- Other medical services
- 1983 - 1989 Study of Human Medicine at the Julius Maximilian University of Würzburg.
- 1988 - 1989 Study of Human Medicine at the University of Caen Normandie.
- 1990 Thesis defense at the Institute of Hygiene and Microbiology, University of Würzburg.
- 1989 - 1991 Intern, Research Fellow at the Institute of Hygiene and Microbiology, University of Würzburg (under the direction of Prof. Dr. J. Heesemann).
- 1991 - 1997 Training to become a Pediatrician, University Hospital Freiburg (under the direction of Prof. Dr. Dr. M. Brandis).
- 1997 Specialization in Pediatrics.
- 2000 Qualification in the field of Laboratory Research in Pediatrics.
- 2001 Habilitation in Pediatrics and Venia legendi.
- 2005 Appointment as an Extraordinary Professor.
- 2006 Advanced training in the field of Infectiology (in accordance with the new rules for advanced training of the state of Baden-Württemberg 2006).
- 2006 Advanced training in the field of Pediatric Rheumatology (in accordance with the new rules for advanced training of the state of Baden-Württemberg 2006).
- 2010 Invitation to the Department of Pediatrics at the Technical University of Dresden.
- 1997 - 2003 Senior Physician, University Hospital Freiburg (under the direction of Prof. Dr. Dr. M. Brandis).
- 2003 - 2004 Leading Senior Physician, University Hospital Freiburg (under the direction of Prof. Dr. Dr. M. Brandis).
- 2004 - 2005 Acting Head of the Center for Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine, University Hospital Freiburg, Department of General Pediatrics.
- Head of the Section of Pediatric Infectiology, Immunology and Vaccinology.
- 2005 - 2011 Leading Senior Physician, Center for Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine, University Hospital Freiburg (under the direction of Prof. Dr. A. Superti-Furga).
- Since 2012, Head of the Department of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine at the University Hospital Carl Gustav Carus Dresden.
Awards and Honors
- 1999 1st DPC Academy Award (Academic Research Award).
- 2000 Research Award of the German Society of Pediatric Infectology (DGPI).
- 2000 Friedrich Linneweh Award to promote young scientists in pediatrics.
- 2005 - 2009 1st Chairman of the German Society of Pediatric Infectology (DGPI).
- 2006 Member of the Pandemic Influenza Commission at the Robert Koch Institute.
- Mechanisms of immune protection against pathogens in newborns.
- Molecular epidemiology and Streptococcus agalactiae virulence factors (group B Streptococcus).
- Epidemiology of viral pathogens of respiratory diseases in childhood.
- Epidemiology of pediatric meningococcal infections.
- Epidemiology of acute, recurrent and chronic pneumococcal and staphylococcal infections in childhood.
Photo: (c) depositphotos
Department of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine.
University Hospital Carl Gustav Carus Dresden:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.