University Hospital Duesseldorf
Department of Adult and Pediatric Neurosurgery (26235)
Specialized in: adult and pediatric neurosurgery
About the department
The Department of Adult and Pediatric Neurosurgery at the University Hospital Duesseldorf offers the full range of services in the field of diagnostics and surgical treatment of diseases of the nervous system in patients of all age groups. The department was founded in 1947 and during this time it has won the reputation of one of the largest and leading neurosurgical medical institutions in Germany. It performs about 3,000 surgical interventions every year. Also, the department treats and examines more than 15,000 inpatients and outpatients annually. The Chief Physician of the department is Prof. Dr. med. Hans-Jakob Steiger.
The department is proud of its outstanding specialists, who not only regularly demonstrate high rates of treatment success, but also had a significant impact on the development of modern neurosurgery. For example, the department's doctors took part in the development of topical techniques in the field of brain tumor surgery (for example, intraoperative fluorescence diagnostics), surgery of cerebral and spinal vessels, treatment of Parkinson's disease and other motor disorders, pediatric neurosurgery and peripheral nerve surgery. Another cornerstone contributing to the high authority of the department is high-tech medical equipment, computerized surgical systems, which ensure the best possible accuracy and minimal damage risks to healthy tissue during the surgical treatment.
The main clinical focuses of the department include:
- Vascular neurosurgery
- Cerebral aneurysms
- Arteriovenous malformations
- Spinal dural arteriovenous fistula
- Intracerebral hemorrhage
- Cerebral circulation disorders
- Trigeminal neuralgia
- Hemifacial spasm
- Skull base surgery
- Epidermoid tumor
- Chordoma and chondrosarcoma
- Primary or secondary bone tumor
- Pituitary surgery
- Pediatric neurosurgery
- Brain tumors
- Developmental brain and spinal cord defects
- Diagnostics and treatment of neuro-oncological diseases
- Diagnostics and treatment of brain metastases
- Functional neurosurgery
- Stereotactic surgery
- Peripheral nerve surgery
- Peripheral nerve compression syndromes (for example, carpal tunnel syndrome)
- Peripheral nerve injuries (for example, in severe bone fractures)
- Tumors of the peripheral nervous system (for example, neuromas, neurofibromas)
- Peripheral neuromodulation in chronic pain syndrome (the injection of stimulants)
- Clinical and intraoperative neurophysiological examinations
- Registration of evoked potentials
- Nerve conduction velocity measurements
- Intraoperative neuromonitoring
- Other medical services
- 1972 - 1978 Study of Medicine at the Universities of Zurich and Geneva, additional 2 semesters of computer science at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zurich.
- 1978 State Examination in Zurich and USA visa examination, Paris.
- 1979 Doctoral thesis defense in Zurich. Subject: "Neuronal nucleus of the abducens nerve".
- 1979- 1984 Clinical training for Neurosurgeon in Switzerland, USA and Canada.
- 1983 Janggen-Pöhn Scholarship, St. Gallen.
- 1985 Diploma in Neurosurgery, Switzerland.
- 1985 - 1993 Senior Physician, since 1990 – Deputy Head of the Department of Neurosurgery at the University Hospital Bern.
- 1992 Habilitation, University of Bern. Subject: "Pathophysiology of cerebral aneurysms".
- 1992 Research Grant of the Swiss National Science Foundation.
- 1994 Invitation to the position of C3 Professor at the Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich, as well as the position of the Head of the Section of Neurovascular Surgery.
- 2002 Invitation to the position of C4 Professor in Neurosurgery, Heinrich Heine University of Dusseldorf, entrance upon his duties 01.01.2003.
- Since 2002, Head of the Department of Adult and Pediatric Neurosurgery at the University Hospital Duesseldorf.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Universitätsklinikum Düsseldorf
Department of Adult and Pediatric Neurosurgery.
University Hospital Duesseldorf:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.