University Hospital Erlangen
Department of Adult and Pediatric Oral, Maxillofacial Surgery (251295)
Specialized in: adult and pediatric oral, maxillofacial surgery
About the department
The Department of Adult and Pediatric Oral, Maxillofacial Surgery at the University Hospital Erlangen offers the full range of surgical treatment of diseases, injuries, fractures, pathologies and deformities of the teeth, lesions of the oral cavity, jaw and face. The field of competence of the department's doctors also includes plastic surgery. The department offers the very latest surgical techniques, which provide not only the optimal therapeutic result, but also excellent results from an aesthetic point of view. An important treatment component is the interdisciplinary cooperation with the specialists from related fields. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Marco Kesting.
The department has 33 beds for inpatient care. The department's doctors annually treat more than 1,800 patients with various maxillofacial defects and pathologies. The clinical range is also complemented by outpatient diagnostics and treatment.
One of the department's priorities is cancer treatment. In this field, the department has the prestigious DIN EN ISO 9001 certification, as well as the certificate of the German Cancer Society (certified Head and Neck Cancer Center).
Certainly, any treatment is preceded by the comprehensive diagnostics using modern medical equipment, including imaging systems. After an accurate diagnostics, the doctor holds a consultation, during which he tells the patient in detail about the nature of the disease and offers the best treatment options. Oncological diseases require an especially careful approach, therefore, the department regularly holds tumor boards with the participation of all the necessary specialists who cooperatively consider each clinical case.
The outpatient service range of the department includes:
- Dentoalveolar surgery (tooth extraction, including surgical removal of a wisdom tooth)
- Jaw bone augmentation using patient’s own tissue or artificial material
- Removal of external skin tumors and closure of defects using local flaps
- Removal of oral tumors
- Facial contouring surgery
- Laser skin resurfacing
- Surgical correction of malformations
- Orthognathic surgery
- Plastic surgery
- Facial tattoo removal
- Preprosthetic surgery
- Septic surgery
- Treatment of injuries of the teeth and facial skull
- Cancer surgery in the mouth, jaw and face
- Root canal treatment and root apex resection
- Other outpatient services
The inpatient service range of the department includes:
- Surgical correction of the maxillofacial defects
- Dentoalveolar surgery
- Interventions on the nerve endings in the mouth, jaw and face
- Inflammatory processes in the oral cavity and maxillofacial area (septic surgery)
- Treatment of temporomandibular joint diseases
- Correction of abnormal jaw position (orthognathic surgery)
- Jaw bone augmentation (preprosthetic surgery)
- Correction of complete cleft lip in children
- Facial plastic surgery
- Cancer surgery
- Treatment of maxillofacial injuries
- Other services
- 1991 - 2003 Study of Dentistry and Human Medicine at the Friedrich-Alexander University Erlangen-Nuremberg.
- 2001 Thesis defense in Dentistry, Friedrich-Alexander University Erlangen-Nuremberg. Subject: "Model of the effect of ear electric acupuncture on histamine-induced pruritus and alloknesis".
- 2005 Thesis defense in Human Medicine, Friedrich-Alexander University Erlangen-Nuremberg. Subject: "Changes in the teeth, jaw and face in patients with Duchenne muscular dystrophy and spinal muscular atrophy."
- 2009 Habilitation, Technical University of Munich. Subject: "Squamous cell carcinoma of the oral cavity – innovative diagnostic and reconstructive methods".
- 03 - 04.1997 Clinical practice in Surgical Dentistry, St. Mary's Hospital, Cruzeiro do Sul-Acra, Brazil.
- 1998 - 2003 Clinical practice in Dentistry, Dr. Volker Ludwig & Kollegen Private Practice, Fürth, Bavaria.
- 03 - 04.2000 Clinical practice in Surgical Dentistry, St. Mary's Hospital, Cruzeiro do Sul-Acra, Brazil.
- 10.2002 - 02.2003 Deputy Assistant, Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, University Hospital Zurich (Head: Prof. Dr. med. Dr. Dr. Klaus W. Grätz).
- 01.2004 - 06.2007 Research Fellow in the Department of Oral, Maxillofacial Surgery and Facial Plastic Surgery, Bochum-Langendreer Hospital of the Ruhr University Bochum (Head: Prof. Dr. med. Dr. Dr. K.-D. Wolff).
- 02.2008 Board certification in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery.
- 04.2009 Habilitation in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery and PD title.
- 06.2009 Senior Physician and Head of the Section of Cancer Reconstructive Facial Surgery in the Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Technical University of Munich (Head: Prof. Dr. med. Dr. Dr. K.-D. Wolff).
- 2010 Additional qualification in Plastic Surgery.
- 01 - 02.2011 Internship in the Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, University of Pretoria (South Africa).
- Since 08.2011 Leading Senior Physician and Deputy Head of the Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Technical University of Munich (Head: Prof. Dr. med. Dr. Dr. K.-D. Wolff).
- 09.2012 Member of the European Association for Cranio Maxillo Facial Surgery (EACMFS).
- 04.2015 Title of the Extraordinary Professor.
- Since 01.10.2017 Head of the Department of Adult and Pediatric Oral, Maxillofacial Surgery at the University Hospital Erlangen.
- Cancer surgery.
- Reconstructive surgery.
- Oncoplastic surgery.
- Treatment of diseases of the oral cavity.
Awards and Honors
- 2009 Best Habilitation Lecture of the Year Award, Munich Technical University.
- 2011 Innovation Award for Autologous Dental Transplant Medicine, Technical University of Munich.
- 2011 Chirurgie begreifen Scientific Prize of the German Society for Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery (formerly, Martin Bassmund Prize).
- 2014 Ruth Erwig Innovation Award of the German Society of Surgery, "Human Amniotic Membrane as an Innovative Biomaterial in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery: Fundamental Researches and Clinical Results".
- 2015 Wrigley Prophylaxe Award of the German Society for Restorative Dentistry.
Board Member and Membership in Scientific Societies
- Vice President of the European Plastic Surgery Research Council (EPSRC).
- Delegate of the German Society for Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery (DGMKG) in the Section of Surgical Researches of the German Society of Surgery (DGCh).
- German Society of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery (DGMKG).
- Working Group on Oral Surgery of the German Society of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery (DGMKG).
- European Association for Cranio Maxillo Facial Surgery (EACMFS).
- German-Austrian-Swiss Research Group for Tumours in the Maxillary and Facial Regions (DÖSAK)
- Anatomical Association (AA).
Photo of the doctor: (c) Universitätsklinikum Erlangen
Department of Adult and Pediatric Oral, Maxillofacial Surgery.
University Hospital Erlangen:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.