Diagnosis of mediastinal tumor (program ID: 257497)
University Hospital Erlangen
Horia SirbuSpecialized in: thoracic surgery
Department of Thoracic Surgery
- Initial presentation in the clinic
- clinical history taking
- review of medical records
- physical examination
- laboratory tests:
- complete blood count
- inflammation indicators (CRP, ESR)
- indicators of blood coagulation
- tumor markers
- blood gas analysis
- chest x-ray
- electrocardiogram (ECG)
- echocardiography (ECHO)
- high-resolution computed tomography (HRCT)
- pulmonary function test
- biopsy of tumor with histological examination (on indication 2500 €)
- nursing services
- consultation of related specialists
- consultation of the chief physician and all leading experts
- development of individual treatment plan
- written statement
You may also book
About the department
The Department of Thoracic Surgery at the University Hospital Erlangen offers all types of modern surgical interventions for the treatment of thoracic diseases. The patients with lung cancer are provided with the interdisciplinary treatment as part of a multidisciplinary cancer program combining tumor resection, radiation and chemotherapy. Another area of specialization is laser thoracic surgery, which allows to preserve tissues (lung parenchyma), for example, in the treatment of lung metastases. Also, the spectrum is complemented by the surgical correction of thoracic deformities, for example, pectus excavatum, and minimally invasive endoscopic hyperhidrosis treatment. The Chief Physician of the department is Prof. Dr. med. Dr. h.c. Horia Sirbu.
The department's specialists believe that close cooperation with the doctors from related disciplines, for example, radiation therapists, pulmonologists, oncologists, radiologists and experts in the field of general surgery, plays a crucial role in the successful treatment outcome. In many cases, this interaction provides the highest chances of recovery. Thanks to the cooperation with the Comprehensive Cancer Center Erlangen, the department ensures a continuous study of the results of the patient’s diagnostic examinations in dynamics and close contact of all colleagues involved in his treatment.
Due to the availability of innovative technologies and modern medical equipment, the department performs many operations using sparing video-assisted thoracoscopy. This technique has got obvious advantages, such as the absence of the need in thoracotomy, which significantly reduces and simplifies the recovery period after surgery, as well as a lack of need to carry out artificial ventilation. The numerous researches confirm the high efficacy and safety of such interventions.
The service range of the department includes:
- Diagnostics and treatment of lung cancer
- Standardized procedures with lung resection, including lymph node resection in the interventional area and mediastinum
- Extensive interventions (bronchoplasty, angioplasty), thoracic wall resection, atrial resection, pericardial and diaphragmatic resection
- Interventions to treat peripheral tumors of the upper lobe of the lung using the anterior cervical thoracotomy according to Dartevel
- Multimodal therapy of advanced lung cancer (chemotherapy, radiation therapy and subsequent surgical intervention)
- Diagnostics and treatment of malignant pleural mesothelioma
- Extended pleuropneumonectomy and diaphragmatic resection after chemotherapy and radiation therapy (multimodal therapy)
- Diagnostics and treatment of mediastinal tumors (benign and malignant tumors of the thymus gland (thymoma, cysts, tumors of the thymus gland), myasthenia gravis)
- Minimally invasive thymus resection
- Laser surgery
- Targeted resection of single and multiple metastases on one and both sides
- Anatomically adapted resection of the lung segment in the presence of peripheral round-shaped pathological formation in high-risk patients
- Tracheal surgery
- Tracheal tumors
- Tracheal stenosis
- Diagnostics and treatment of thoracic wall tumors, including plastic reconstructive interventions
- Imaging-guided thoracoscopic lobectomy
- Bimanual imaging-guided mediastinoscopy
- Anterior mediastinotomy using Chamberlain procedure
- Video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery
- Atypical lung resection
- Resection of the lymph nodes and mediastinal tumors
- Sanitation in pleural empyema
- Pericardial cyst resection
- Pericardial fenestration
- Resection of metastases
- Pneumothorax (pulmonary laceration)
- Resection of solitary lymph nodes
- Lung biopsy
- Pleural biopsy
- Sympathectomy in hyperhidrosis
- Diagnostics and treatment of pulmonary emphysema
- Bullous lung resection using minitoracotomy and videothoracoscopy
- Lung volume reduction with video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery
- Septic thoracic surgery
- Pleural empyema and thoracoplasty
- Other diagnostic and therapeutic options
Education and Professional Experience
- 1989 - 1992 Doctoral degree, University of Bucharest.
- 1993 - 2001 Residency, University Hospital Göttingen.
- 2001 - 2008 Medical Consultant in Cardiothoracic Surgery, University Hospital Aachen.
- Since 2008 Head of the Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery at the University Hospital Erlangen.
- Tracheal surgery.
- Lung volume reduction surgery.
- Imaging-guided thoracoscopy.
- Surgical treatment of thoracic oncopathologies.
- Multimodal approach to the treatment of non-small cell lung cancer.