University Hospital Frankfurt am Main
Department of Adult and Pediatric Neurosurgery (26141)
Specialized in: adult and pediatric neurosurgery
About the department
According to the Focus magazine, the Department of Adult and Pediatric Neurosurgery at the University Hospital Frankfurt am Main ranks among the top German medical facilities specializing in the surgical treatment of brain tumors!
The department offers the full range of diagnostics and surgical treatment of diseases of the central and peripheral nervous system. A specially trained team of pediatric neurosurgeons provides treatment for various neurosurgical pathologies in children. During the treatment, the doctors use state-of-the-art equipment, in particular, imaging-guided neuronavigation, functional imaging (fMRI), intraoperative mapping, intraoperative videoangiography, etc. The Chief Physician of the department is Prof. Dr. med. Volker Seifert.
The department’s priorities include vascular neurosurgery, brain tumor surgery, skull base and spinal surgery. In the field of vascular surgery, the department treats cerebrovascular diseases, such as aneurysms, angiomas, cavernomas, including complex clinical forms of pathology. In addition, the department's doctors specialize in recanalization of the cerebral vessels using innovative ELANA device. The department's neurosurgeons also have exceptional competence in the treatment of brain tumors. Tissue sampling for histological examination is carried out using modern computer stereotactic systems.
The primary task of surgeons during the treatment of brain tumor is not only its resection, but also the preservation of all vital functions of the central nervous system. In this regard, they widely use in their clinical practice high-precision microsurgical techniques, intraoperative imaging using MRI and other innovations of neurosurgery. In order to consolidate the results of surgical treatment, the patient can also undergo chemotherapy, radiation therapy and Gamma Knife treatment.
Other priorities of the department's work include the treatment of degenerative and oncological diseases of all spinal segments, interdisciplinary skull base surgery, deep brain stimulation, surgical treatment of patients with hydrocephalus, as well as microsurgical treatment of compression syndromes, tumors and damage to the peripheral nervous system, including the brachial plexus. In close collaboration with the Department of Neurology, there is offered deep brain stimulation to treat movement disorders (Parkinson's disease).
With appropriate indications, preference is always given to progressive sparing treatment techniques – minimally invasive neurosurgery using the most modern imaging-guided computer microsurgical, endoscopic, robotic and stereotactic procedures.
It is worth noting that the department has the status of the International Reference Center for Complex Brain, Spinal Cord and Spinal Diseases. In addition, the department became one of the first German neurosurgical medical facilities certified as the Center for Cerebrovascular Pathologies (certification of the German Society of Neurosurgery).
The service range of the department includes the diagnostics and treatment of the following neurosurgical diseases:
- Aneurysms and angiomas
- Intracerebral hemorrhage and vascular occlusion
- Brain tumors
- Tumors and pathologies of the spinal cord and nerve roots
- Degenerative, inflammatory, oncological and traumatic spinal injuries
- Chronic back pain
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Malformations of the nervous system
- Neurosurgical diseases in childhood (focus on hydrocephalus, malformations and tumors of the nervous system)
- Other diseases
Surgical treatment is performed using the following modern medical equipment and techniques:
- Intraoperative magnetic resonance imaging
- Microneurosurgical technique
- Robot-assisted surgery (ROSA system)
- Intraoperative monitoring
- Intraoperative video-angiography
- Ultrasound removal of affected tissues
- Laser technologies
- Intraoperative X-ray examinations
- Neuromodulation (deep brain stimulation)
- Other techniques
- 1979 - 1985 Work in the Department of Neurosurgery at the Hannover Medical School.
- 1987 Research Internship (6 months) in the Department of Neurosurgery, Northwestern University, Chicago, Illinois, USA.
- 1987 Habilitation.
- 1987 - 1991 Associate Professor of the Department of Neurosurgery at the Hannover Medical School.
- 1991 - 1994 Associate Professor and Deputy Head of the Department of Neurosurgery, University Hospital Essen.
- 1994 - 1998 Professor and Head of the Department of Neurosurgery, University Hospital Leipzig.
- 1998 - 2000 Professor and Head of the Department of Adult and Pediatric Neurosurgery, University Hospital Frankfurt am Main.
- Since 2000 Director of the Centre for Neurology and Neurosurgery (Centre for Clinical Neurosciences) at the University Hospital Frankfurt am Main.
- 1981 Doctorate in Medicine at the Hannover Medical School. Thesis title: "Meningioma and perifocal edema (investigations on the macroscopic and microscopic informative value of computed tomography by means of size and density measurements)".
- 1987 Habilitation at the Hannover Medical School. Thesis title: "Arachidonic acid metabolism after subarachnoid hemorrhage. Experimental and clinical studies on the pathogenesis of cerebral vasospasm".
- University of Pittsburgh, USA, Department of Neurosurgery.
- University of Tianjin, China, Department of Neurosurgery.
- University of Beijing, China, Department of Neurosurgery.
- University of Chișinău, Moldova, Department of Neurosurgery.
- University of West Virginia, Morgantown, USA, Department of Neurosurgery.
- Shinshu University, Matsumoto, Japan, Department of Neurosurgery.
- University of Geneva, Switzerland, Department of Neurosurgery.
- Permanent Guest Professor of the Department of Neurosurgery, University of Beijing, China.
- Honorary Professor of Clinical Neurosurgery, Beijing Tian Tan Hospital of the Capital University of Medical Sciences, China.
Membership in Professional Societies (selected)
- Secretary of the German Academy of Neurosurgery.
- Senior Delegate of the German Society of Neurosurgery in the World Federation of Neurosurgery (WFNS).
- Delegate of the German Society of Neurosurgery in the European Association of Neurosurgical Societies Training Committee.
- Member of the Skull Base Surgery Committee of the World Federation of Neurosurgery (WFNS).
- Member of the Cerebrovascular Committee of the World Federation of Neurosurgery (WFNS).
- Member of the Academia Eurasiana Neurochirurgica.
- Founding Member of the German Society of Skull Base Surgery.
- Founding Member and Board Member of the German Society of Computer- and Robot-Assisted Surgery.
- Member of the Interdisciplinary Research Committee of the German Ministry of Health of the German Federal Government.
- More than 400 publications as first, co-author and senior author in scientific journals.
Department of Adult and Pediatric Neurosurgery.
University Hospital Frankfurt am Main:
Request more information now.
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
Thank you for your confidence in the Booking Health portal.
A medical coordinator will contact you within 24 hours and answer all questions that might interest you.
you will receive a reply shortly Home