University Hospital Frankfurt am Main
Department of Gastroenterology, Hepatology, Pulmonology, Allergology, Endocrinology and Diabetology (26144)
Specialized in: gastroenterology, hepatology, pulmonology, allergology, endocrinology, diabetology
About the Department of Gastroenterology, Hepatology, Pulmonology, Allergology, Endocrinology and Diabetology at University Hospital Frankfurt am Main
The Department of Gastroenterology, Hepatology, Pulmonology, Allergology, Endocrinology and Diabetology at the University Hospital Frankfurt am Main offers the full diagnostic and therapeutic range of services in the fields of its specialization. The department specializes in liver pathologies and oncological diseases of the bronchi, endocrine glands, liver, biliary tract, pancreas and other gastrointestinal organs. In addition, the department is a recognized Diabetes Center. The service range is complemented by dietology. The treatment is provided in accordance with the international protocols using the very latest medicines. The Chief Physician of the department is Prof. Dr. med. Stefan Zeuzem.
In the field of gastroenterology and hepatology, the department specializes in the diagnostics and treatment of all diseases of the esophagus, biliary tract, pancreas, liver and other gastrointestinal organs. Special attention is paid to chronic liver diseases and their complications, including cirrhosis and hepatocellular carcinoma, as well as malignant neoplasms of the gastrointestinal tract. The diagnostic and treatment programs are developed by interdisciplinary teams, for example, as part of hepatologic or tumor boards. The department has state-of-the-art medical infrastructure, including devices for endoscopic and ultrasound examinations, laboratory for the diagnostics and treatment of gastrointestinal and liver pathologies.
The focus of the department's pulmonologists and allergologists is on the treatment of diseases, such as bronchial asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD, emphysema), as well as cystic fibrosis. An important field is also the diagnostics and treatment of malignant lung lesions (bronchogenic cancer). In the case of the treatment of thoracic pathologies, the department cooperates closely with related specialties, such as cardiothoracic surgeons, radiation therapists, etc.
The department's scope of tasks in the field of diabetology and endocrinology includes the diagnostics and treatment of hormonal diseases, disorders of glucose, lipid and bone metabolism, etc. The department provides optimal medical care for all types of diabetes mellitus and its complications, for example, diabetic foot. In addition, the therapeutic spectrum also includes the correction of various hormonal disorders. The effective work of the Laboratory for Hormonal Tests and the Laboratory for Molecular Biological Diagnostics provides an accurate diagnostics of endocrine pathology, as well as the assessment of treatment results in dynamics.
The diagnostic and therapeutic options of the department include:
- Chronic inflammatory bowel disease, IBS
- Diseases of the liver, gallbladder, pancreas and other gastrointestinal organs
- Diseases of the peritoneum and omentum
- Anal diseases
- Gastrointestinal cancers
- Diseases of pulmonary circulation and chronic pulmonary heart
- Respiratory and lung diseases
- Pleural diseases
- Lung cancer (bronchogenic carcinoma)
- Sleep disorders/somnology
- Cystic Fibrosis Center
- Medical care for patients before and after lung transplantation
- Rare lung diseases
- Autoimmune diseases
- Endocrine, nutritional and metabolic disorders
- All types of diabetes mellitus
- Complications of diabetes mellitus, for example, diabetic foot, etc.
- Diagnostics and treatment of other diseases
Curriculum vitae of Prof. Dr. med. Stefan Zeuzem
Education and Professional Experience
- 1978 - 1985 Study of Medicine at the University of Frankfurt, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK, and Cambridge.
- 1985 Final Qualification Examination to become a Medical Specialist.
- 1985 Admission to medical practice.
- 1986 Doctoral thesis defense, University of Frankfurt (summa cum laude).
- 1992 Habilitation, University of Frankfurt.
- 1986 - 1999 Medical specialization in Internal Medicine, Gastroenterology, Endocrinology, Intensive Care.
- 1990 - 1991 German Research Foundation Scholarship, Max Planck Institute for Biophysics, Frankfurt.
- 1993 Postdoctoral Researcher, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Yale University Medical School, USA.
- 1993 - 2002 Junior Instructor, Department of Medicine, University Hospital Frankfurt am Main.
- 1998 - 2002 Associate Professor, Junior Instructor, University Hospital Frankfurt am Main.
- 2002 - 2007 Professor of Medicine (C4), Director of the Department of Internal Medicine II, University Hospital Saarland.
- Since 2007 Professor of Medicine (W3/C4), Chief Physician of the Department of Gastroenterology, Hepatology, Pulmonology, Allergology, Endocrinology and Diabetology, University Hospital Frankfurt am Main.
Honors and Awards
- 1987 Research Prize, German Diabetes Society.
- 1993 Thannhauser Prize, German Society for Gastroenterology, Digestive and Metabolic Diseases (DGVS).
- 1998 Theodor-Stern-Award.
- 2004 - 2010 Member of the Senate Committee for Graduate Schools of the German Research Foundation (DFG).
- 2009 - 2012 Member of the Senate Committee for Clinical Research of the German Research Foundation (DFG).
- 2010 - 2016 Member of the German Council for Science and Humanities.
- Since 2010 Member of the Medical Committee of the German Council for Science and Humanities.
Other Professional Activities
- 2004 - 2013 Speaker of the Clinical Research Group "Mechanisms of resistance development and optimisation of antiviral strategies" at the German Research Foundation.
- 2007 - 2014 Speaker of the Cluster of the Federal Ministry of Education and Research "Host and viral determinants for susceptibility and resistance to hepatitis C virus infection".
- Since 2010 Editorial Advisory Board, Nature Reviews Gastroenterology and Hepatology.
- 2010 - 2014 Associate Editor, Journal of Hepatology.
- 2010 - 2016 Board Member of the German Society for Gastroenterology, Digestive and Metabolic Diseases (DGVS).
- Since 2016 Associate Editor, Gastroenterology
- 2019 President (elected) of the German Society for Digestive and Metabolic Diseases (DGVS).
Membership in Professional Societies (selected)
- American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases (AASLD).
- European Association for the Study of the Liver (EASL).
- German Society for Digestive and Metabolic Diseases (DGVS).
- German Society for Internal Medicine (DGIM).
- German Cancer Association (DKG).
Photo of the doctor: (c) Universitätsklinikum Frankfurt
Department of Gastroenterology, Hepatology, Pulmonology, Allergology, Endocrinology and Diabetology.
University Hospital Frankfurt am Main:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.