Chemotherapy for germ cell tumors of the ovary (dysgerminoma) (1 course) (program ID: 471782)
University Hospital Freiburg
Justus DuysterSpecialized in: hematology, oncology
Department of Hematology and Oncology
- Initial presentation in the clinic
- clinical history taking
- review of medical records
- physical examination
- laboratory tests:
- complete blood count
- general urine analysis
- biochemical analysis of blood
- TSH-basal, fT3, fT4
- tumor markers
- inflammation indicators
- indicators of blood coagulation
- CT scan / MRI of the abdomen and retriperitoneum
- abdominal and retroperitoneal ultrasound scan
- 1 course of chemotherapy
- nursing services
- consultations of related specialists
- explanation of individual treatment plan
How program is carried out
During the first visit, the doctor will conduct a clinical examination and go through the results of previous laboratory tests and instrumental examinations. After that, you will undergo an additional examination, including laboratory assessment of liver and kidney function, ultrasound scan. Based on the received results, the doctor will elaborate the chemotherapy regimen. If necessary, related medical specialists will be involved in the elaboration of a treatment regimen (tumor board).
Chemotherapy is carried out as the day hospital procedure, without mandatory admission to the hospital. After the placement of a venous catheter, you will stay in a comfortable ward. An infusion system will be connected to the catheter, through which the required drug or a drug combination will be administered. All drugs are administered by intravenous drip, slowly, so the total duration of the infusion can be up to several hours. All this time, doctors and nurses will monitor your health condition closely.
After the course of chemotherapy, you will stay under medical supervision in the ward for a few more hours. If your general condition is good, your doctor will allow you to leave the hospital. You will receive the medical report with detailed recommendations regarding further treatment. In the future, you will be able to have a distant consultation with your attending physician and schedule the next course of chemotherapy, if necessary.
- Medical records
- MRI/CT scan (not older than 3 months)
- Biopsy results (if available)
You may also book
About the department
The Department of Hematology and Oncology at the University Hospital Freiburg offers the full range of diagnostics and treatment of blood diseases, coagulation disorders, oncological diseases and related pathological conditions. The treatment is provided both on an outpatient and inpatient basis. The patient is offered a comprehensive treatment, including intensive care to eliminate side effects associated with the tumor and therapy, development of individual recommendations on nutrition, physiotherapeutic measures and psycho-oncological care. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Justus Duyster.
The department specializes in the diagnostics and treatment of the following diseases:
- Malignant solid tumors
- Head and neck tumors
- Tumors of the digestive tract
- Lung cancer
- Breast cancer
- Cancer of the female genital organs (ovarian cancer, cervical cancer, endometrial cancer, other rare tumors in women, for example, vulvar and vaginal cancers)
- Urogenital tumors (kidney cancer, urinary tract tumors, testicular cancer, prostate cancer, penile cancer, extragonadal germ cell tumors)
- Thyroid cancer
- Endocrine tumors (neuroendocrine tumors, pheochromocytoma, adrenal cortical tumors, pituitary tumors)
- Tumors of the central nervous system (CNS)
- Skin tumors (malignant melanoma, squamous cell carcinoma, basal cell carcinoma, Merkel-cell carcinoma)
- Hematologic malignancies
- Hodgkin's lymphoma
- Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma
- Multiple myeloma (plasmacytoma)
- Benign blood diseases
- Thrombosis, embolism and thrombophilia
- Other diseases and pathological conditions
The range of diagnostic and therapeutic services of the department includes:
- General laboratory tests (for example, blood, urine, cerebrospinal fluid tests)
- Special blood tests (peripheral blood smear, bone marrow cytology, cytochemical studies)
- Blood cell testing
- Fluorescence in situ hybridization (FISH method)
- Ultrasound diagnostics
- Bone marrow puncture, lumbar puncture, paracentesis and pleural puncture
- Other diagnostic services
- Antihormone therapy (especially effective for breast cancer, prostate cancer, endometrial and ovarian cancer)
- Other treatments
- Supportive therapy
- Psycho-oncological care (for the patient and his/her relatives)
- Recommendations on nutrition
- Pain therapy
- Special physiotherapy for cancer patients
- Other medical services
- 1981 - 1982 Public Service, Hanover Medical School.
- 1982 - 1989 Study of Medicine at the University of Freiburg.
- 02.1987 - 05.1987 Scholarship of the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD), Vita Insani Clinic, Pematang Siantar, Sumatra.
- 1987 - 1990 Dissertation, Department of Cardiology, University Hospital Freiburg. Subject: "Long-term therapy with captopril in experimental heart failure".
- 11.1989 - 04.1991 Internship, Institute of Biochemistry, Freiburg, within the framework of the joint research project "Tumor development and prevention of this process".
- 1991 Admission to medical practice.
- 05.1991 - 10.1992 Research Fellow, joint research project "Tumor development and prevention of this process" Institute of Biochemistry, Freiburg.
- 10.1992 - 10.1994 Research Fellow, University of California, San Diego, Department of Biology (under the guidance of Prof. Wang), scholarship of the German Cancer Society.
- 11.1994 - 01. 1996 Assistant Physician, Free University of Berlin, University Hospital Virchow, Max Delbrück Center for Molecular Medicine, Department of Oncology.
- 02.1996 - 01.1998 Medical Assistant, Department of Hematology and Oncology, University Hospital Ulm.
- 02.1998 Medical Assistant, Department of Hematology and Oncology, University Hospital Rechts der Isar Munich.
- 07.2001 Medical Specialist in Internal Medicine.
- 01.2002 Senior Physician in the Department of Hematology and Oncology, University Hospital Rechts der Isar Munich.
- 01.2003 Habilitation, Internal Medicine.
- 07.2005 Partial specialization in Hematology and Internal Oncology.
- 01.2003 - 08.2012 Leading Senior Physician and Deputy Head of the Department of Hematology and Oncology, University Hospital Rechts der Isar Munich.
- 12.2004 Acceptance of the proposal to fill the position of C3 Professor of Internal Medicine and Experimental Hematology, Technical University of Munich.
- 2007 Invitation to the position of W3 Professor of Hematology and Oncology, Otto von Guericke University of Magdeburg (refused).
- 09.2012 W3 Professor of the Department of Hematology and Oncology at the University Hospital Freiburg (successor to Prof. Mertelsmann).
Photo of the doctor: (с) Universitätsklinikum Freiburg
Accommodation in hospital
- Program [Description]
Chemotherapy for germ cell tumors of the ovary (dysgerminoma) (1 course)
- Hospital: University Hospital Freiburg
There are 93 germ cell tumors of the ovary (dysgerminoma) treatment hospitals on Booking Health websiteShow all clinics