University Hospital Heidelberg
Department of Adult and Pediatric Radiation Therapy, Ion Radiotherapy and Radiation Oncology (253169)
Specialized in: adult and pediatric radiation therapy, ion radiotherapy, radiation oncology
About the department
The Department of Adult and Pediatric Radiation Therapy, Ion Radiotherapy and Radiation Oncology at the University Hospital Heidelberg offers the full range of radiological diagnostics and cancer therapy. A feature of the department is the exact treatment of cancer with the help of heavy ions and proton therapy. Therapy with heavy ions and protons makes it possible to effectively destroy tumors of difficult-to-reach localization, while maintaining healthy tissues. The department belongs to the most modern medical institutions of this level in the international medical arena. It treats more than 3,500 cancer patients every year. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Jürgen Debus.
The service range of the department includes:
- Imaging diagnostics and planning
- Ion radiotherapy in the following cancers:
- Skull base chordomas and chondrosarcomas
- Salivary gland cancer (including adenoid cystic carcinomas)
- Chordomas and chondrosarcomas of the pelvic organs
- Oncological diseases in children
- Neuroendocrine tumors
- Hepatocellular carcinoma
- Recurrent inoperable rectal cancer
- Inoperable bone sarcoma
- Prostate cancer
- Other diseases
- Intensity modulated radiation therapy, including RapidArc radiation therapy
- MRI-guided radiation therapy
- Interstitial brachytherapy
- Intracavitary brachytherapy
- Superficial brachytherapy
- Afterloading technique
- Intraoperative radiation therapy
- Extracranial stereotaxy
- Stereotactic irradiation and radiosurgery
- CyberKnife treatment
- Total body irradiation
- Radiotherapy for children
- Other medical services
- Since 2003, Full Professor and Head of the Department of Adult and Pediatric Radiation Therapy, Ion Radiotherapy and Radiation Oncology at the University Hospital Heidelberg.
- 1997 - 2003 Head of the Department of Clinical Research "Radiotherapy in the Treatment of Oncopathology", University Hospital Heidelberg and German Center for Cancer Research (DKFZ) Heidelberg.
- 1997 Habilitation and PD title in Clinical Radiology and Radiation Therapy, University of Heidelberg.
- Since 1996, Senior Physician in the Department of Radiology (focus on radiotherapy), University of Heidelberg.
- 1996 Medical Specialist, Radiation Therapy.
- 1995 Clinical Fellow, Proton Therapy, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, USA.
- 1994 - 1996 Head of the Working Group "New methods of treatment of the localized tumors" DKFZ.
- 1993 - 1996 Assistant Physician, Department of Radiology (focus on radiotherapy), University of Heidelberg.
- 1993 - 1995 Member of the Working Group "Radiation Therapy using Fast Neutrons" DKFZ.
- 1992 Assignment of the title of Doctor of Medicine, DKFZ, Radiological Diagnostics and Therapy.
- 1991 - 1992 Intern, Department of Oncological Diagnostics and Therapy, DKFZ.
- 1991 Dr. rer.nat., Faculty of Physics and Astronomy, University of Heidelberg.
Awards and Honorable Memberships
- Since 2013, Member of the National Academy of Sciences Leopoldina.
- 2012 Alfred Breit Prize of the German Society for Radiation Oncology (DEGRO).
- 2011 Award of the Nationwide Competition “The chosen landmark in the country of ideas”.
- Since 2009, Member of the Heidelberg Academy of Sciences.
- 2005 Innovation Award, German University Medicine.
- 1999 Erwin Schrödinger Prize for interdisciplinary research, Foundation for the Promotion of German Science.
- 1998 Hermann Holthusen Prize of the German Society for Radiation Oncology (DEGRO).
- 1995 Young Investigator Award of the American Association of Physicists in Medicine (AAPM).
- 1993 Award for doctoral thesis defense of the German Society for Ultrasound in Medicine (DEGUM).
- 1992 Phillips Promotions Award Winner.
- Radiation therapy.
- Radiation oncology.
- Nuclear medicine.
- Ion radiotherapy.
Department of Adult and Pediatric Radiation Therapy, Ion Radiotherapy and Radiation Oncology.
University Hospital Heidelberg:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.