University Hospital Heidelberg
Department of Pediatric Surgery (26069)
Specialized in: pediatric surgery
About the department
The Department of Pediatric Surgery at the University Hospital Heidelberg offers the full range of surgical treatment of various diseases in newborns, infants, young children and adolescents. The focus is on the surgical treatment of diseases of the abdominal cavity, surgical oncology, correction of malformations of the genital organs and traumatology. The Chief Physician of the department is Prof. Dr. med. Patrick Günther.
The successful clinical practice is based on a combination of advanced surgical equipment and the competence of surgeons who have gained the international recognition. During the course of treatment, the doctors not only provide first-class medical care, but also create a friendly, pleasant atmosphere in the department, which contributes to a positive treatment result. It is worth noting that the department is one of the few medical institutions in Germany where the fetal surgical interventions are performed (surgery of a fetus in the womb).
The service range of the department includes:
- Diagnostics and treatment of bowel diseases
- Short bowel syndrome
- Hirschsprung's disease
- Chronic constipation
- Chronic inflammatory bowel diseases
- Diagnostics and treatment of hemangiomas, vascular malformations
- Nephroblastoma (Wilms' tumor)
- Germ cell tumors
- Sacrococcygeal teratoma
- Diagnostics and treatment of injuries in children of all age groups
- Open wounds
- Bone fractures
- Diagnostics and treatment of urological diseases in children
- Surgery for preterm babies and newborns
- Esophageal atresia
- Diaphragmatic hernia
- Anal atresia
- Intestinal atresia and stenosis
- Meconium bowel obstruction
- Necrotizing enterocolitis
- Diagnostics and treatment of diseases of the thoracic organs
- Pectus excavatum
- Lung pathology
- Pleural empyema
- Diagnostics and treatment of neck cysts, fistulas
- Median cyst of the neck
- Lateral cyst of the neck
- Minimally invasive pediatric surgery
- Appendectomy (appendix removal)
- Cholecystectomy (gallbladder removal)
- Splenectomy (spleen removal)
- Fundoplication in reflux disease
- Surgery on the internal genital organs and urinary tract
- Provision of access for peritoneal dialysis
- Thoracoscopy (minimally invasive surgery of the thoracic organs)
- Outpatient pediatric surgery
- Inguinal hernia repair (herniotomy)
- Scar revision
- Removal of hemangiomas
- Removal of small skin tumors
- Other medical services
- 1989 - 1996 Study of Medicine, Ruprecht Karl University of Heidelberg.
- 25.11.1996 3rd State Examination, partial admission to medical practice.
- 25.11.1996 Doctoral thesis, Pediatric Radiology, Ruprecht Karl University of Heidelberg.
- 1997 - 1998 Assistant Physician, Department of Pediatric Surgery, University Hospital Heidelberg (Head: Prof. Dr. R. Daum).
- 01.07.1998 Admission to medical practice.
- 1998 - 2003 Assistant Physician, Department of Pediatric Surgery, Heidelberg/Mannheim (Head: Prof. Dr. K.-L. Waag).
- 30.03.2004 Specialization in Pediatric Surgery.
- 2004-2006 Senior Physician in the Department of Pediatric Surgery, Heidelberg/Mannheim (Head: Prof. Dr. K.-L. Waag).
- 2007 - 2013 Leading Senior Physician, Section of Pediatric Surgery (Head: PD. Dr. S. Holland-Cunz), Department of General, Abdominal and Transplant Surgery (Head: Prof. Dr. M.W. Büchler).
- Since 09.2013, Chief Physician in the Department of Pediatric Surgery, University Hospital Heidelberg.
- 22.11.2013 Habilitation.
- 2006 Poster Prize of the German Society of Pediatric Surgery. Subject: "3D MRI perfusion and virtual surgery planning for the removal of embryonic tumors in childhood".
- 2009 Poster Prize of the German Society of Pediatric Surgery. Subject: "Extended hemihepatectomy or liver transplantation? Operations on the liver in progressive hepatoblastoma – two separate cases".
- 2010 Poster Prize of the German Society of Pediatric Surgery. Subject: "Pathomorphology and outcome in testicular torsion in infancy and early childhood".
- German Society of Pediatric Surgery.
- German Society of Surgery.
Department of Pediatric Surgery.
University Hospital Heidelberg:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.