University Hospital Heidelberg
Department of Adult and Pediatric Otolaryngology (26072)
Peter. K. Plinkert
Specialized in: adult and pediatric otolaryngology
About the Department of Adult and Pediatric Otolaryngology at University Hospital Heidelberg
The Department of Adult and Pediatric Otolaryngology at the University Hospital Heidelberg offers the full range of services in the field of diagnostics and treatment of diseases of the ear, nose and throat. The department’s doctors also specialize in surgical interventions in the head and neck. The Chief Physician of the department is Prof. Dr. med. Dr. h.c.
Peter K. Plinkert.
The department has 3 state-of-the-art operating rooms equipped with innovative surgical microscopes, digital endoscopes, a computerized tomographic system that allows for intraoperative CT examinations, and video recording technology. In addition, high-precision neuronavigation systems are also available in the operating rooms.
The department also includes an outpatient clinic with 7 fully equipped rooms for all the necessary otolaryngologic studies, an outpatient surgery unit, and a specialized diagnostic unit, which conducts all technical examinations in the field of audiology, neurotology, rhinology and laryngology.
The main clinical focuses of the department cover:
- Diagnostics and treatment of middle ear diseases, middle ear microsurgery
- Middle ear effusion
- Chronic middle ear inflammation in adults and children
- Cholesteatoma (benign neoplasm)
- Balance disorders (acute dizziness, Meniere's disease)
- Chronic tinnitus
- Cochlear implantation in adults and children
- Surgery to improve hearing
- Diagnostics and treatment of malignant diseases of the head and neck
- Malignant tumors of the oral cavity
- Malignant oropharyngeal tumors
- Malignant laryngeal tumors (including the upper part of the trachea)
- Malignant tumors of the laryngeal pharynx (including the upper esophagus)
- Malignant nasopharyngeal tumors
- Malignant tumors of the inner part of the nose and sinuses
- Malignant ear tumors
- Malignant tumors of the facial and neck skin
- Malignant tumors of the salivary glands
- Total surgical tumor removal
- Cervical dissection
- Radiation therapy
- Reconstructive surgery
- Diagnostics and treatment of chronic sinusitis
- Electrophysiological diagnostics in facial nerve paralysis
- Implantation of Baha bone conduction hearing aid
- Rehabilitation for patients with facial injuries after head and neck surgery
- Use of epitheses
- Plastic reconstructive interventions
- Diagnostics and treatment of laryngeal and tracheal diseases
- Unilateral vocal cord paralysis
- Reinke's edema
- Vocal cord polyps
- Vocal cord cysts
- Vocal cord nodules
- Laryngeal and tracheal stenosis
- Stenosis of the pharyngeal region of the larynx
- Subglottic stenosis
- Rehabilitation for adults and children after cochlear implantation (within the specialized center)
- Diagnostics and treatment of voice, speech and swallowing disorders in adults and children (for example, speech disorders in adults after a stroke, stuttering in children, hoarseness, dysphagia in adults and children)
- Diagnostics and treatment of allergic reactions in adults and children
- Hay fever
- Chronic cold
- Nasal polyps
- Acute and chronic sinusitis
- Swelling in the mouth, throat and larynx
- Interdisciplinary diagnostics and treatment of sleep-related respiratory disorders
- Other medical services
Photo: (с) depositphotos
Curriculum vitae of Prof. Dr. med. Dr. h.c. Peter. K. Plinkert
- 1978 - 1985 Medical School at the University of Goettingen.
- 1985 State Medical Examination in Human Medicine and admission to medical practice.
- 1981 - 1985 Doctoral thesis, Department of Chemistry and Neurotoxicology, University of Goettingen.
Training and Qualifications
- 1985 - 1986 Residency at the Department of General Surgery, Krankenhaus der Borromäerinnen Trier, University Mainz.
- 1986 - 1990 Residency at the Department of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, University Wuerzburg (Prof. Dr. J. Helms).
- 1988 Consultant Surgeon at the Department of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, University Tuebingen (Prof. Dr. Dr. H. P. Zenner).
- 1989 Postdoctoral Fellowship of the German Research Foundation (DFG) at the Institute for Neurochemistry and Neurotoxicology, University Stockholm (Prof. Dr. E. Heilbronn): Innervation of cochlear hair cells.
- 1992 Venia Legendi in Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, University Tuebingen (Assistant Professorship).
- 1992 Additional qualification in Plastic Surgery.
- 1993 Additional qualification in Allergology.
- 1994 - 2000 Vice Director at the Department of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, Eberhard-Karls University Tuebingen.
- 1996 Additional qualification in Special Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery.
- 1998 Visiting Professor at the MD Anderson Cancer Center, University of Texas, Houston.
- 2000 Appointed as the Head of the Department of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, University Greifswald (declined).
- 2000 - 2004 Head of the Department of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, Saarland University.
- 2001 - 2004 Member of the Board of Directors of the Cancer Center Saarland.
- 2002 - 2004 Vice Dean of the Medical Faculty, Saarland University.
- Since October 2004, Head of the Department of Adult and Pediatric Otolaryngology, University Hospital Heidelberg.
- 2005 Member of the Board of Directors of Kopfklinik, University Hospital Heidelberg.
- 2007 Granting of a Honorary Doctorate (Honoris causa) Universitas Medicinae et Scientiae Pharmaceuticae "Victor Babes", Timisiensis, Timisoara Rumania.
- 2009 Re-elected as a Member of the Board of Directors of Kopfklinik, University Hospital Heidelberg.
Interdisciplinary structures established during the chairmanship at the Department of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery at the Saarland University (2000 - 2004)
- Establishment of a general screening program for a SNHL in all newborns in the Saarland area.
- Interdisciplinary Center for Skull Base Surgery at the Saarland University (Speaker).
- Rehabilitation Center for Children with Cochlear Implants in Saarland.
Awards and Grants
- 1994 Anton von Töltsch Prize of the German Society for Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, For Merits in the Scientific Studies in Inner Ear Biology.
- 1889 Grant from the German Research Foundation (DFG) at the Institute for Neurochemistry and Neurotoxicology, University Stockholm.
- 1993 Grant from DAAD for being a Visiting Lecturer at Kidwai Memorial Institute of Oncology, Bangalore, India (Prof. Dr. Ashok Shenoy) and for the implementation of modern reconstructive surgical procedures in head and neck cancer.
- German Society for Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery.
- German Society for Base Skull Surgery.
- German Society for Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery.
- Association for Research in Otolaryngology (ARO), USA.
- Association for Endoscopy in the German Society for Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery (Member of the
- Board of Directors).
- President of the Association for German-speaking Audiologists and Neuro-Otologists (ADANO).
- Member of Collegium Oto-Rhino-Laryngologicum Amicitae Sacrum (CORLAS).
Current Scientific Focuses
- Skull base surgery and robotics.
Department of Adult and Pediatric Otolaryngology.
University Hospital Heidelberg:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.