University Hospital Heidelberg
Department of Adult and Pediatric Oral, Maxillofacial Surgery (26077)
Specialized in: adult and pediatric oral, maxillofacial surgery
About the department
The Department of Adult and Pediatric Oral, Maxillofacial Surgery at the University Hospital Heidelberg offers the full range of services in this medical field. The department specializes in the treatment of inflammatory diseases of face and neck soft and hard tissues, injuries of soft tissues and bones in the maxillofacial area and their complications, benign and malignant maxillofacial tumors. The surgical treatment of tumors is followed by reconstructive plastic surgery. To provide an accurate diagnostics and treatment planning, the department uses both classical two-dimensional X-ray method and modern 3D technology. The Chief Physician of the department is Prof. Dr. med. Jürgen Hoffmann.
To provide surgical treatment, the department has two main operating rooms and three additional outpatient operating rooms, each of which is equipped with the advanced medical technologies, precise navigation and computerized systems. The surgeons of the department use in their practice only proven, highly efficient surgical techniques that ensure an excellent aesthetic result. Thanks to the state-of-art technical medical equipment and impeccable cooperation of the team of the department’s doctors, patients receive comprehensive, individualized medical care of the university level.
The service range of the department includes:
- Diagnostics and treatment of malignant diseases of the maxillofacial area
- Surgical treatment
- Radiation therapy
- Reconstructive plastic surgery
- Diagnostics and treatment of bisphosphonate-related osteonecrosis of the jaw
- Pain therapy
- Symptomatic therapy and antibiotic therapy
- Surgical interventions
- Implantation of epitheses to correct facial defects (for example, in oncopathology, accidents, congenital malformations)
- Installation of dental implants (implantology)
- Jawbone augmentation
- Correction of the abnormal occlusion and face profile
- Aesthetic surgery
- Anti-aging treatments
- Upper and lower eyelid plastic surgery
- Face lift
- Wrinkle treatment
- Plastic surgery to correct profile defects
- Scar revision
- Correction of congenital malformations
- Correction of cleft lip, jaw and palate in newborns
- Correction of congenital defects of the maxillofacial area in children
- Diagnostics and treatment of head and neck injuries
- Facial injuries
- Lower and upper jaw fractures
- Teeth damage
- Fracture of the zygomatic bone and the bottom of the orbit
- Nasal fracture
- Diagnostics and treatment of hemangiomas, vascular malformations in adults and children
- Open surgical interventions
- Laser surgery
- Diagnosis and treatment of cysts and inflammatory processes in the head and neck
- Correction of shifted teeth
- Diagnostics and treatment of temporomandibular joint dysfunction
- Other medical services
- 1986 - 1993 Study of Human Medicine and Dentistry at the Eberhard Karl University of Tuebingen.
- 1992 - 2010 Research Fellow in the Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery at the University Hospital Tuebingen.
- 1997 Medical Specialist in Maxillofacial Surgery.
- 2000 Recognized as a Member of the European Council of Maxillofacial Surgeons (EBOMFS).
- 2000 Appointed as a Senior Physician.
- 2001 Additional qualification in Plastic Surgery.
- 2001 Medical Specialist in Oral Surgery.
- 2003 Appointed as a Managing Senior Physician and Deputy Head of the Department.
- 2010 Invitation to the Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery at the University Hospitals of Hamburg (UKE) and Heidelberg.
- 2010 Accepted a position at the University Hospital Heidelberg, Head of the Department of Adult and Pediatric Oral, Maxillofacial Surgery at the University Hospital Heidelberg.
- 2001 - 2004 Head of the subproject "Multimodal differentiation of the individual course of oral proliferative cancer" within the framework of the research study group of the German Research Foundation "Mechanisms for the development of solid tumors and the concept of experimental therapy".
- 2001 - 2006 Head of the Working Group "Medical Technology Research" at the Center of Excellence in Minimally Invasive Medicine and Technologies Tuebingen-Tuttlingen.
- 2001 - 2009 Head of the Research Group within the framework of the research program of the German Research Foundation "Navigation and Robotics".
- 2004 - 2010 Secretary General of the Association of Professors of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery.
- 2009 - 2011 Secretary of the Working Group on Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery (DGZMK).
- Since 2014, 2nd Chairman of the Working Group on Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery (DGZMK).
- Since 2014, Board Member of the German Society of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery.
- Since 2014, Deputy Director of the Center Kopfklinik, University Hospital Heidelberg; Chairman, Reconstructive Surgery Section, Strasbourg Osteosynthesis Research Group (S.O.R.G.); Interdisciplinary Working Group on Head and Neck Tumors of the German Cancer Society, Member of the Advisory Board.
Memberships in Professional Societies
- Working Group on Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery (AgKi).
- German Interdisciplinary Working Group on Cleft Lip and Palate/Craniofacial Anomalies (AK LKG).
- Working Group on Osteosynthesis (AO-CMF).
- Working Group on Otorhinolaryngology, Oral and Maxillofacial Oncology (AHMO).
- German Society of Computerized and Robotic Surgery (CURAC).
- German Cancer Society (DKG).
- German Society of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery (DGMKG).
- German Society of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery (DGPW).
- German Society of Skull Base Surgery (DGSB).
- German-Austrian-Swiss Working Group on Maxillofacial Tumors (DÖSAK).
- European Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery (EACMFS).
- Member of the International Team of Implantology (ITI).
- Strasbourg Osteosynthesis Research Group (S.O.R.G.).
- Association of Professors in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery (VHZMK).
Department of Adult and Pediatric Oral, Maxillofacial Surgery.
University Hospital Heidelberg:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.