University Hospital Heidelberg
Department of Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Infectology (26082)
Specialized in: gastroenterology, hepatology, infectology
About the department
The Department of Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Infectology at the University Hospital Heidelberg offers the full range of services in these fields and specializes in the diagnostics and treatment of diseases of the gastrointestinal tract, liver, and liver transplantation. One of the key activities is the therapy of oncological diseases of the digestive organs. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Uta Merle.
Medical care is provided both on an outpatient and inpatient basis. In addition, the department operates an intensive care unit to provide round-the-clock assistance to critically ill patients. The department has modern equipment for diagnostic and therapeutic endoscopic procedures, ultrasound examinations, including interventional ones. The doctors of the department pay due attention to the comprehensive counseling of patients in all aspects of a given clinical situation.
The service range of the department includes:
- Ultrasound diagnostics
- Ultrasound examinations of all abdominal organs
- Doppler and duplex scanning
- Contrast-enhanced ultrasound
- Fine needle puncture biopsy under ultrasound guidance
- Real-time elastography
- Endoscopic examinations
- Diagnostics and treatment of gastrointestinal malignancies
- Stomach cancer
- Esophageal cancer
- Small and large bowel cancer
- Gallbladder and biliary tract cancer
- Pancreatic cancer
- Neuroendocrine tumors of the gastrointestinal tract and pancreas
- Rare types of cancer (for example, gastrointestinal stromal tumors)
- Surgical treatment
- Radiation therapy
- Clinical trials
- Diagnostics and treatment of chronic inflammatory bowel disease
- Intensive care
- Gastrointestinal bleeding
- Acute and chronic liver diseases or liver failure
- Acute pancreatitis
- Severe septic shock
- Acute kidney failure
- Severe disorders of water and electrolyte balance
- Severe infectious diseases and intoxication
- Diagnostics and treatment of liver diseases
- Hepatitis (special focus on viral and autoimmune hepatitis)
- Wilson's disease
- Liver failure
- Diagnostics and treatment of hemochromatosis
- Diagnostics and treatment of cholestasis
- Preparation and follow-up care after liver transplantation
- Other medical services
Photo: (с) depositphotos
Department of Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Infectology.
University Hospital Heidelberg:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.