University Hospital Muenster
Department of Adult and Pediatric Oral, Maxillofacial Surgery (113907)
Specialized in: oral and maxillofacial surgery
About the department
The Department of Adult and Pediatric Oral, Maxillofacial Surgery at the University Hospital Muenster offers the full range of diagnostic, conservative and surgical treatment of oral and maxillofacial diseases. The department's specialists treat more than 1,500 inpatients and 15,000 outpatients every year. Also, the department performs more than 1,000 outpatient and 1,600 inpatient operations annually. Such indicators show the highest quality of medical care and the exceptional competence of medical staff. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Dr. dent. Johannes Kleinheinz.
One of the department’s priority focuses is the surgical treatment of head and neck tumors. This focus is certified by the German Cancer Society. Oncological diseases require a particularly careful approach, so the treatment is carried out in close cooperation with the related physicians, such as oncologists, radiation therapists, experts in the field of nuclear medicine, otolaryngology, etc. The surgeons have in their arsenal all modern operational techniques, including reconstructive measures in order to restore extensive soft and hard tissue defects. The treatment purpose is not only to get rid of cancer, but also to achieve the patient’s overall well-being, as well as an optimal aesthetic appearance and facial muscle movements, especially when speaking and eating. If necessary, the experts in the field of speech therapy, physiotherapy, psycho-oncology, dietetics and social workers are involved in the therapeutic process.
It should be noted that the department has a unique competence in the treatment of rare pathologies involving maxillofacial lesions. In addition, the department specializes in implantology and dental surgery, for example, surgical tooth extraction, root apex resection. An equally important area of clinical activities is the surgical correction of cleft lip and palate in children. At the same time, important attention is paid not only to the aesthetic result, but also to the preservation of functionality, provision of the proper development of the jaw and face.
The service range of the department includes:
- Surgical treatment of dysgnathia (abnormal bite)
- Surgical treatment of maxillofacial injuries (for example, injuries of soft tissues, teeth and periodontal, fractures of the jaw, midface, including zygomatic bones, orbit, nose and forehead)
- Implantology (use of high-precision computer systems for surgery planning and performance)
- Diagnostics and treatment of temporomandibular joint diseases
- Correction of cleft lip and palate in children
- Diagnostiсs and treatment of oral mucosal diseases
- Plastic reconstructive surgery
- Diagnostics and treatment of rare diseases with the oral lesions
- Diagnostics and treatment of benign and malignant tumors of the maxillofacial area
- Dental surgery (for example, surgical tooth removal, root apex resection)
- Advanced dental x-ray diagnostics
- Other diagnostic and therapeutic options
Education and Professional Career
- 1982 - 1988 Study of Dentistry, Albert Ludwig University of Freiburg.
- 1988 Admission to medical practice.
- 1985 - 1992 Study of Human Medicine, Albert Ludwig University of Freiburg.
- 1993 Admission to medical practice.
- 1988 - 1990 Research Fellow, Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, University Hospital Freiburg.
- 1989 Postgraduate practice, Department of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, Naval Medical Center, Portsmouth, Virginia, USA.
- 1990 Postgraduate practice, Department of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, Eastern Virginia Medical School, Norfolk, Virginia, USA.
- 1992 Intern, Department of Otolaryngology, Ludwigshafen Hospital.
- Since 1993 Research Fellow in the Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, University Hospital Muenster.
- 1996 Board certification in Oral, Maxillofacial Surgery.
- 1999 Additional qualification in Plastic Surgery.
- 2001 Habilitation and Venia Legendi (Oral, Maxillofacial Surgery).
- 2002 Theoretical bases of the specialty "Laboratory tests in Oral, Maxillofacial Surgery".
- 2003 Leading Senior Physician, Deputy Head of the Department.
- 2003 Diploma in Health Economics (German Medical Association).
- 2004 Master of Dentistry in Implantology.
- 2006 Extraordinary Professor.
- 2012 Visiting Professor, CES, Medellin, Colombia.
- 2013 Acting Head of the Department of Adult and Pediatric Oral, Maxillofacial Surgery at the University Hospital Muenster.
- 2014 Head of the Department of Adult and Pediatric Oral, Maxillofacial Surgery at the University Hospital Muenster.
- Vascular biology of oral tissues.
- Regenerative medicine.
- Study of tumors.
- Cranial malformations.
Membership and Activities in Committees
- Since 2010 Board Member of the International Bone Research Association.
- 2008 - 2010 Scientific Advisory Board Member of the German Society of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Universitätsklinikum Münster
Department of Adult and Pediatric Oral, Maxillofacial Surgery.
University Hospital Muenster:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.