University Hospital Muenster
Department of Pediatric Cardiology (289956)
Hans Gerd Kehl
Specialized in: pediatric cardiology
The Department of Pediatric Cardiology at the University Hospital Muenster specializes in diagnosis and treatment of all forms of congenital and acquired cardiovascular diseases in neonates, children and adolescents. The key focuses of the Department include treatment of congenital cardiovascular diseases by means of cardiac catheterization techniques (interventional catheter therapy), intensive pediatric cardiology and cardiac surgery as well as various special outpatient clinics. The Department is headed by Priv.-Doz. Dr. Hans Gerd Kehl.
To optimize surgical techniques, the Department under the direction of Priv.-Doz. Dr. Hans Gerd Kehl was the first in Germany to put into practice a regular ultrasound monitoring of the cardiac function in the operating room during the corrective surgery for congenital heart defect (transesophageal echocardiography).
In addition to special pediatric cardiological outpatient clinic of the University Hospital Muenster, the Department has a special Section of Pediatric Cardiology with 24 beds for the diagnosis and treatment of all heart diseases in childhood. The specially trained specialists provide care for infants and children in the integrated Intensive Care Unit (the Department of Pediatrics).
The Department provides the entire spectrum of both invasive and non-invasive diagnosis, including modern methods of interventional cardiology, and is equipped with all necessary facilities.
The Department under the direction of Priv.-Doz. Dr. Hans Gerd Kehl at the University Hospital Muenster offers the full range of invasive (surgical) and non-invasive diagnosis and treatment:
- Non-invasive diagnosis in the Cardiac Catheterization Laboratory
- Cardiac catheterization of both left and right heart
- Vascular angiography
- Electrophysiological examination
- Interventional surgery
- Expansion of constricted valves with a balloon
- Stenting of narrowed vessels
- Closure of patent ductus arteriosus by means of a coil or a “double umbrella” system
- Closure of atrial septal defect with the use of a transvenous implantation of the recently developed catheter systems
- Closure of vessels by means of a foreign body (coils)
- Transesophageal echocardiography
Maintaining a daily close cooperation with the Section of Pediatric Cardiac Surgery under the direction of the internationally renowned physician, Prof. Dr. Edward Malec, the medical team of the Department of Pediatric Cardiology makes every effort to improve the health of entrusted children.
The main focuses of the Department of Pediatric Cardiology at the University Hospital Muenster are:
- Diagnosis and treatment of (congenital) heart diseases
- Treatment of patients before and after transplantation
- Treatment of adolescents and adults with congenital heart diseases
- Care of cancer patients during and after the therapy with cardiotoxic agents
- Outpatient counseling of patients with Marfan syndrome, pulmonary hypertension, fetal echocardiography as well as the treatment of children with genetic arrhythmias
- Muenster, Germany