University Hospital Rechts der Isar Munich
Department of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine (114013)
Specialized in: pediatrics
About the department
The Department of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine at the University Hospital Rechts der Isar Munich offers the full range of services in this field and specializes in the treatment of all diseases in infants, children and adolescents. The department has a cutting-edge Intensive Care Unit (also for newborns), an Emergency Care Unit, ten general stations for the treatment of children, the Center for Pediatrics and the Mother and Child Center. All diagnostic and therapeutic services meet the high standards of professional medical societies. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Stefan Burdach.
The department provides many specialized consultations, thanks to which young patients and their parents have the opportunity to receive detailed information about the diseases of interest.
The consultations are focused on the following:
- Attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder
- Rehabilitation medicine: asthma, obesity, atopic dermatitis
- Allergology and pediatric pulmonology
- Endocrinology (hormonal disorders and diseases of the endocrine glands) and diabetology
- Eating disorders
- Gastroenterology: diseases of the stomach, intestines and liver
- Hematology (blood diseases)
- Hemostasis (bleeding disorders)
- Infectology (main focus: Epstein-Barr virus)
- Oncology: diagnosis and treatment of all benign and malignant blood diseases and cancer in childhood and adolescence
- Pediatric cardiology (cardiovascular diseases)
- Cystic fibrosis
- Kidney diseases
- Pediatric neurology
- Social pediatrics, psychosomatics and psychiatry
- Metabolic disorders
- Ultrasound diagnostics and other types of imaging diagnostics
- Outpatient medical care
- Other focuses
- 1980 Obtaining a doctorate at the Faculty of Medicine of the University of Cologne.
- 1989 Habilitation at the Faculty of Medicine, Heinrich Heine University Düsseldorf, Venia Legendi (Pediatrics).
- 1995 Visiting Professor of the Faculty of Medicine at the Heinrich Heine University Düsseldorf.
- 1998 University Professor (C4) in Pediatrics, Faculty of Medicine, Martin Luther University of Halle-Wittenberg.
- 2003 University Professor (C4), Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine, Technical University of Munich.
- 1978 - 1983 Assistant Physician, Children’s Hospital in Cologne and Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA.
- 1983 -1984 Senior Physician of the Department of Hematology and Oncology, Children's Hospital in Cologne.
- 1984 - 1987 Fellow, Section of Hematology, Stanford University Medical Center, Stanford, CA, USA.Visiting Fellow and Primary Care Physician, Bone Marrow Transplantation Program, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, WA, USA.
- 1988 - 1998 Head of the Laboratory for Experimental Hematology and Stem Cell Transplantation, Department of Pediatric Hematology and Oncology.
- 1987 - 1995 Senior Physician of the Center for Pediatrics and the Department of Pediatric Hematology and Oncology (since 1996, Deputy Head), Hospital of the Heinrich Heine University Düsseldorf.
- 1995 - 1998 Leading Senior Physician, Center for Pediatrics at the Hospital of the Heinrich Heine University Düsseldorf.
- 1998 Consulting Physician in Neonatology, St. Mary's Hospital in Düsseldorf (Academic Hospital of the Heinrich Heine University Düsseldorf).
- 1998 - 2003 Head of the Department and Polyclinic of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine, Section of Hematology and Oncology, Martin Luther University of Halle-Wittenberg.
- Since 2000, Acting Head of the Department of Pediatric Cardiology, Martin Luther University of Halle-Wittenberg.
- Since 2003, Head of the Hospital and Chief Physician of the Department of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine at the Technical University of Munich, Schwabing Hospital.
Memberships and Positions
- Member of the Scientific Programme Advisory Committee SIOP.
- Editorial Board, International Journal of Pediatrics.
- Scientific Advisory Board EOS Biotechnology.
- International Society of Pediatric Oncology (SIOP).
- American Society of Hematology (ASH).
- American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO).
- American Society for Cancer Research (AACR).
- German Society of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine (DGKJ e.V.).
- German Cancer Society.
- German Working Group on Bone Marrow and Stem Cell Transplantation (DAG-KBT e.V.).
- Society of Pediatric Oncology and Hematology (GPOH).
- Study Groups: neuroblastoma, Ewing’s tumors, soft tissue sarcoma, brain tumors.
- Head of the Research Commission on Ewing’s multifocal tumors.
- Reviewer in the German Research Foundation, Deutsche Krebshilfe e.V., Wilhelm Sander Foundation and Foundation for Children with Cancer.
- Reviewer: Blood, Experimental Hematology, Bone Marrow Transplantation, European Journal of Cancer, Lancet Oncology.
- Editorial Board, Arzneimitteltherapie.
- Advisory Board and Examination Board of the Bavarian State Medical Association in Pediatric Hematology and Oncology.
- Board of Trustees, German Academy for Health and Promotion of Children and Adolescents.
- Board of Trustees of the Institute for Diabetes Mellitus Research (Chairman).
- Parents’ initiative program for children with cancer in Munich.
- Society of parents to support children with cancer in Halle.
- Parents’ initiative program for children with cancer in Düsseldorf.
Awards and Honors (selected)
- Hill Memorial Award, Stanford University.
- Heynen Prize, Heinrich Heine University Düsseldorf.
- Kind Philipp Prize of the Society of Pediatric Oncology and Hematology (GPOH).
Department of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine.
University Hospital Rechts der Isar Munich:
Request more information now.
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
Thank you for your confidence in the Booking Health portal.
A medical consultant will contact you and answer all your questions in the near future.
you will receive a reply shortly Home