Diagnosis and surgical treatment of retinal detachment with retinal cells transplantation (program ID: 43911)
University Hospital Rechts der Isar Munich
Mathias MaierSpecialized in: adult and pediatric ophthalmology
Department of Adult and Pediatric Ophthalmology
The program includes:
- Initial presentation in the clinic
- clinical history taking
- review of medical records
- physical examination
- laboratory tests:
- complete blood count
- biochemical analysis of blood
- indicators of inflammation
- indicators blood coagulation
- ophthalmologic examination:
- slit-lamp examination
- pupil function tests
- ocular motility test
- perimetry (visual field test)
- computer perimetry
- visometry (without correction and with correction)
- refractometry (objective, subjective, cycloplegic)
- non-contact tonometer
- preparation according to preoperative standard
- retinal cells transplantation
- symptomatic treatment
- control examinations
- the cost of essential medicines and materials
- nursing services
- full hospital accommodation
- explanation of future recommendations
- Medical records
- Optical coherence tomography (if available)
You may also book:
About the department
The Department of Adult and Pediatric Ophthalmology at the University Hospital Rechts der Isar Munich offers the full range of modern diagnostic and therapeutic services in the field of its expertise. The department deals with the treatment of all pathologies of the anterior and posterior segment of the eye. Special attention is paid to operations on the retina, vitreous body, lens and treatment of corneal diseases. To provide effective treatment, the department has three modern operating rooms and two treatment rooms equipped with the very latest technology. The department has 24 beds. Most of the diagnostic and therapeutic procedures are performed on an outpatient basis, without mandatory hospitalization. The department's medical team admits more than 2,500 inpatients, and about 25,000 outpatients for diagnostics and treatment annually. The department’s specialists have long successful experience and they also deal with the most complex clinical cases. They provide effective treatment that meets the highest European standards. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Mathias Maier.
The department offers the widest diagnostic options: visual field tests, retinal testing using special cameras, fluorescein angiography, optical coherence tomography-angiography, ophthalmoscopy, keratotopography, pachymetry, Heidelberg retinal tomography and many other modern tests, allowing for the comprehensive assessment of the eye condition, establishment of an accurate diagnosis and prescription of the optimal treatment regimen.
It should be noted that the department has specialized outpatient clinics for the treatment of particular diseases, for example, an outpatient clinic for glaucoma, a center for treating patients using intravitreal injections. The patients are also provided with round-the-clock care for emergencies, even on weekends and holidays.
The department is involved in national and international clinical research, as well as in interdisciplinary collaboration to develop new diagnostic and therapeutic techniques in the field of ophthalmology. At the moment, the department 's Clinical Research Center carries out research to develop new conservative treatments for age-related macular degeneration (wet and dry type), diabetic macular edema, macular edema due to vein occlusion. At the same time, the focus is on the research of new medications and the search for new treatment methods.
The department's main clinical focuses include:
- Diagnostics and treatment of tear duct diseases
- Diagnostics and treatment of eye injuries
- Diagnostics and treatment of diseases affecting the conjunctiva and cornea (including dry eye syndrome)
- Refractive eye surgery
- Diagnostics and treatment of age-related hyperopia
- Corneal transplantation
- Diagnostics and treatment of cataracts (including implantation of special lenses)
- Diagnostics and treatment of glaucoma
- Diagnostics and treatment of age-related macular degeneration
- Diagnostics and treatment of pathological changes in the retina caused by diabetes mellitus
- Diagnostics and treatment of retinal detachment
- Diagnostics and treatment of ophthalmic diseases in children
- Diagnostics and treatment of neuro-ophthalmic diseases
- Diagnostics and treatment of eyelid diseases
- Diagnostics and treatment of other diseases
The department's range of medical services includes:
- Conservative and surgical treatment of corneal and conjunctival diseases
- Refractive eye surgery using excimer laser (PRK, LASIK, Femto-LASIK, Epi-LASIK, LASEK)
- Excimer laser phototherapeutic keratectomy
- Corneal transplantation, including lamellar keratoplasty using a femtosecond laser, DMEK
- Tumor resection
- Pterygoid hymen resection with and without conjunctival plastic surgery
- Triple procedure: corneal transplant, cataract surgery, IOL implantation
- Selection of contact lenses
- Drug therapy
- Conservative and surgical treatment of lens diseases, including cataracts
- Femtolaser lens surgery
- Intracapsular lens resection
- Extracapsular lens resection
- Pars plana vitrectomy
- YAG laser capsulotomy (as follow-up therapy)
- Posterior chamber intraocular lens implantation
- Removal of a foreign body from the lens
- Lens revision interventions
- Secondary IOL implantation
- Implantation of monofocal, multifocal, toric, yellow and aspherical intraocular lenses
- Conservative and surgical treatment of vitreous and retinal diseases
- ARGUS II (retinal replacement technique for retinitis pigmentosa)
- Argon laser therapy
- Focal and panretinal laser therapy
- Photodynamic therapy
- Laser retinopexy
- Intravitreal injection therapy (triamcinolone, lucentis, eylea, avastin)
- Pneumatic retinopexy
- Pars plana vitrectomy
- Subretinal surgery (for example, choroidal neovascularization coagulation for subretinal hemorrhage)
- Endotamponades (air, gas, silicone oil)
- Transconjunctival sutureless vitrectomy (23G)
- Conservative and surgical treatment of glaucoma
- Nd:YAG laser iridotomy
- Selective laser trabeculoplasty
- Trabeculectomy (with and without 5FU)
- Deep sclerectomy
- Application of ExPress shunts, XEN and Ahmed implants
- Drug therapy (local or systemic)
- Conservative and surgical treatment of ophthalmic diseases in children
- Surgical treatment of cataracts
- Surgical and laser therapy for retinopathy of prematurity
- Surgical treatment of eye injuries
- Treatment with diode and argon laser
- Conservative and surgical therapy for strabismus
- Selection of lenses
- Conservative and surgical treatment of tear duct diseases
- Annular intubation
- Tear duct endoscopy
- Toti's procedure (dacryocystorhinostomy)
- Tear duct puncture
- Lacrimal duct reconstruction
- Tear duct dilatation
- Conjunctival dacryorhinostomy
- Tear duct flushing
- Tear duct probing
- Drug therapy for inflammation
- Tear sac massage
- Conservative and surgical treatment of eyelid diseases
- Skin resurfacing (Erbium YAG laser)
- Xanthelasma eyelid treatment (Erbium YAG laser)
- Superficial removal of skin pigmentation (Erbium YAG laser)
- Argon laser epilation
- Ptosis correction
- Ectropion, entropion correction
- Reconstructive surgery for injuries
- Surgical removal of eyelid tumors followed by plastic surgery with free grafts or rotation flaps
- Chalazion removal
- Botulinum toxin therapy for blepharospasm or corneal ulcer
- Drug therapy for inflammatory eyelid lesions
- Conservative and surgical treatment of neuro-ophthalmic diseases
- Eyelid surgery, ptosis correction
- Drug therapy
- Conservative and surgical treatment of orbital diseases
- Eye socket surgery
- Enucleation with and without follow up implantation
- Placement of secondary implants
- Tumor biopsy
- Tumor resection
- Other types of conservative and surgical treatment
Postgraduate Training and Professional Career
- 1991 - 1992 Internship, Department of Adult and Pediatric Ophthalmology at the University Hospital Rechts der Isar Munich.
- 1992 Admission to medical practice.
- 1992 - 1996 Assistant Physician, Department of Adult and Pediatric Ophthalmology at the University Hospital Rechts der Isar Munich.
- 1994 Thesis defense.
- 1996 Board certification in Ophthalmology.
- 1996 - 1997 Physician, Department of Adult and Pediatric Ophthalmology at the University Hospital Rechts der Isar Munich.
- 1998 - 2001 Senior Physician, Department of Adult and Pediatric Ophthalmology at the University Hospital Rechts der Isar Munich.
- 2001 - 2004 Physician Partner of Dr. Ober's and Dr. Scharrer's Ophthalmology Practice.
- Since 08.2004 Managing Senior Physician, Department of Adult and Pediatric Ophthalmology at the University Hospital Rechts der Isar Munich.
- 03.2010 Habilitation and PD title.
- 12.2016 Extraordinary Professorship.
- Since 09.2021 Head Physician, Department of Adult and Pediatric Ophthalmology at the University Hospital Rechts der Isar Munich.
Special Clinical Interests
- Retinal surgery.
- Vitreous surgery.
- Acta Ophthalmologica.
- American Journal of Ophthalmology.
- Clinical Ophthalmology.
- Der Ophthalmologe.
- Graefe's Archive for Clinical and Experimental Ophthalmology.
- Klinische Monatsblätter für Augenheilkunde Ophthalmologica.
- Bio Med Central (BMC).
- British Journal of Ophthalmology (BJO).
- Experimental Eye Research.
- European Journal of Therapeutics.
Memberships in Professional Societies
- American Academy of Ophthalmology (AAO).
- Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology (ARVO).
- Bavarian Academy of Sciences and Humanities (BAdW).
- Professional Association of German Ophthalmologists (BVA).
- German Ophthalmological Society (DOG).
- European Association for Vision and Eye Research (EVER).
- European Society of Retina Specialists (EURETINA).
- Retinological Society (RG).
Photo of the doctor: (c) Klinikum rechts der Isar der Technischen Universität München
Accommodation in hospital
- Program [Description]
Diagnosis and surgical treatment of retinal detachment with retinal cells transplantation
- Hospital: University Hospital Rechts der Isar Munich
There are 68 retinal detachment treatment hospitals on Booking Health websiteShow all clinics