Da Vinci treatment in colon cancer (program ID: 644026)
University Hospital Rechts der Isar Munich
Helmut FriessSpecialized in: surgery
Department of Surgery
- Initial presentation in the clinic
- clinical history taking
- physical examination
- laboratory tests:
- complete blood count
- biochemical analysis of blood
- tumor markers
- inflammation indicators
- indicators blood coagulation
- ultrasound of the abdomen
- CT/MRI scan of the abdomen
- colonoscopy with biopsy
- preoperative care
- Da Vinci resection of affected parts of the intestine
- histological and Immunhistochemiсal analysis
- consultation on nutrition
- symptomatic treatment
- control examinations
- cost of essential medicines and materials
- nursing services
- full hospital accommodation
- explanation of future recommendations
- Medical records
- Esophagogastroduodenoscopy (EGD), MRI/CT scan (not older than 3 months)
- Biopsy results (if available)
You may also book
About the department
The Department of Surgery at the University Hospital Rechts der Isar Munich offers the full range of services in this field and specializes in general, abdominal, thoracic, transplant surgery. The medical team of the department, consisting of 10 specialized senior physicians, 30 medical specialists and assistant physicians, as well as highly motivated nursing staff, provides first-class treatment of tumors, inflammatory and degenerative diseases of the esophagus, stomach, intestines, pancreas, liver, gallbladder, spleen, lungs, thyroid and parathyroid glands. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Helmut Friess.
The department is the certified Colon and Pancreatic Cancer Center (certification of the German Cancer Society), part of the certified Cancer Center of the Rechts der Isar Hospital. In addition, the department is recognized as the Center of Excellence in the surgical treatment of esophageal and gastric diseases (German Society of General and Abdominal Surgery). All these achievements show that the department provides patients with quality treatment at the highest technical and professional level.
In cooperation with the related disciplines (anesthesiology, intensive care, gastroenterology, internal oncology, as well as diagnostic and interventional radiology), treatment is provided at any time of the day and night in the department’s four modern operating rooms. It is possible to perform operations with the use of intraoperative sonography, endoscopy, radiological imaging and many other techniques.
The service range of the department includes:
- Treatment of pancreatic diseases
- Treatment of esophageal and gastric diseases
- Treatment of diseases of the colon and rectum
- Treatment of proctologic diseases
- Treatment of diseases of the lungs and other thoracic organs
- Treatment of thyroid diseases
- Bariatric surgery for obesity treatment
- Hernia repair (for example, inguinal, incisional, umbilical hernia)
- Laparoscopic interventions
- Treatment of oncological diseases
- Intraperitoneal hyperthermic chemoperfusion
- Treatment with NanoKnife technology
- Other medical services
- 1982 - 1988 Medical School, University of Ulm, Ulm, Germany.
- 1990 Dissertation: "The role of gastrointestinal hormones in the adaptation of the pancreas following gastrectomy" (PD Dr. med. M.W. Büchler), University of Ulm, Germany.
- 1998 Habilitation: "Growth factors and growth factor receptors in pancreatic cancer" (Prof. Dr. med. M. W. Büchler), University of Bern, Switzerland.
- 2003 Professor, Pancreatic Surgery and Molecular Pancreatic Research, University of Heidelberg, Germany.
- 1988 - 1991 Internship, University of Ulm, Department of General Surgery (Head: Prof. Dr. med. H. G. Beger).
- 1991 - 1992 Postdoctoral Researcher, University of Ulm, Department of General Surgery (Head: Prof. Dr. med. H. G. Beger).
- 1992 - 1993 Postdoctoral Researcher, University of California, Irvine, USA, Departments of Medicine and Biological Chemistry (Prof. Dr. M. Korc).
- 1993 - 1996 Resident, University of Bern, Department of General Surgery (Head: Prof. Dr. med. M. W. Büchler).
- 1996 - 2001 Attending Surgeon, University of Bern, Department of General Surgery (Head: Prof. Dr. med. M. W. Büchler).
- 2001 - 2007 Deputy Head, University of Heidelberg, Department of General Surgery (Head: Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c. M. W. Büchler).
- Since 07.2007 Head of the Department of Surgery, Technical University of Munich, Munich, Germany.
- 1994 Assistant Editor of the Journal Digestive Surgery.
- 1997 Editorial Board of the International Journal of Pancreatology.
- 1998 Doctor Honoris Causa, Medical Faculty, Northern Hospital, Shenyang, China.
- 1998 Scientific Committee, European Pancreatic Club.
- 1998 External examiner, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden.
- 1999 Doctor Honoris Causa, Railway Medical College, Nanjing, China.
- 1999 External Reviewer, Surgical Forum, German Surgical Society.
- 1999 Editorial Board of the Journal of the Pancreas.
- 1999 Visiting Professor, Nanjing Railway Medical College, Nanjing, China.
- 2000 Member of the Publication Committee of the Society for Surgery of the Alimentary Tract.
- 2000 Fellow, Royal College of Surgeons of England.
- 2000 Visiting Professor, Southeast University Nanjing, China.
- 2000 Visiting Professor, Peking Union Medical College Hospital and Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences.
- 2001 Editorial Board of Langenbeck's Archives of Surgery.
- 2002 Editorial Board, Molecular Cancer.
- 2003 Council of the International Hepato-Pancreato-Biliary Association (IHPBA).
- 2003 Honorary Professor, R.E. Kavetsky Institute of Experimental Pathology, Oncology and Radiobiology, National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine.
- 2003 Member of the General Assembly, United European Gastroenterology Federation (UEGF).
- 2005 Secretary, European Society for Digestive Surgery (EDS).
- 2005 Councillor for Clinical Sciences, European Pancreatic Club (EPC).
- 2005 Secretary, European Pancreatic Club (EPC).
- 2005 Honorary Member, Romanian Academy of Medical Sciences, Bucharest, Romania.
- 2007 Editor, Langenbeck's Archives of Surgery.
- 2009 Annali Italiani di Chirurgia.
- 2010 Co-Editor, Editorial Board, Langenbeck's Archives of Surgery.
- 2011 President, Association of Bavarian Surgeons (VBC).
Photo of the doctor: (c) Klinikum rechts der Isar der Technischen Universität München