Diagnosis of cataract (program ID: 132485)
University Hospital Tuebingen
Karl Ulrich Bartz-SchmidtSpecialized in: adult and pediatric ophthalmology
Department of Adult and Pediatric Ophthalmology
- Initial presentation in the clinic
- clinical history taking
- review of medical records
- physical examination
- ophthalmologic examination:
- slit lamp examination
- pupil examination
- ocular motility examination
- perimetry (visual field test)
- computer perimetry
- visometry (without correction and with correction)
- refractometry (objective, subjective, cycloplegic)
- non-contact tonometry
- optical coherence tomography OCT (if indicated clinically)
- nursing services
- consultation of related specialists
- treatment by chief physician and all leading experts
- explanation of individual treatment plan
- Medical records
You may also book
About the department
The Department of Adult and Pediatric Ophthalmology at the University Hospital Tuebingen offers the full range of modern methods for the diagnostics and treatment of eye diseases. The department is one of the largest and leading medical facilities of its kind in Germany, therefore its specialists perfectly cope with extremely complex ophthalmic pathologies and skillfully perform high-level surgical procedures. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Karl Ulrich Bartz-Schmidt.
The department has 77 beds, 6 ultramodern operating rooms for the surgical treatment. The department performs more than 22,000 inpatient and outpatient surgical interventions every year.
The main clinical focuses of the department include the diagnostics and treatment of the following diseases:
- Diseases or injuries in newborns and young children
- Retinopathy of prematurity
- Amblyopia, strabismus and double vision (diplopia)
- Inflammatory diseases
- Neuro-ophthalmic diseases
- Hereditary eye diseases
- Visual impairment
- Oncological neoplasms of the eye and its appendages
- Diseases of the lacrimal tract
- Retinal detachment
- Other ophthalmic pathologies in adults and children
Surgical spectrum of the department includes:
- Cataract surgery (including femto phacoemulsification)
- Intravitreal injections
- Eyelid surgery
- Lacrimal tract surgery
- Refractive lens surgery
- Corneal transplantation, including lamellar keratoplasty (certified Eye Bank)
- Surgery for complicated cataracts and glaucoma
- Interventions in retinal detachment
- Periocular and refractive surgery
- Surgical intervention for severe eye injuries
- Removal of tumors in the anterior segment of the eye and appendages of the eye
- Other surgical options
Scientific and Professional Career
- 1982 - 1988 Study of Human Medicine at the Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz.
- 1988 - 1990 Training be receive a title of the Medical Specialist in Ophthalmology, Department of Ophthalmology, Krankenhaus Evangelisches Stift Hospital, Koblenz (Heads: Dr. D. Brambring, Dr. P. Schmitz-Valkenberg).
- 1990 - 1992 Training be receive a title of the Medical Specialist in Ophthalmology, Center for Ophthalmology, University of Cologne (Managing Directors: Prof. Dr. med. G. K. Krieglstein, Prof. Dr. med. K. Heimann, Prof. Dr. med. W. Rüssmann).
- 1992 - 1996 Senior Physician, Center for Ophthalmology, University of Cologne.
- 1996 - 1999 Leading Senior Physician and Deputy Head of the Division of Retinal and Vitreous Surgery (Prof. Dr. med. K. Heimann).
- January 1998 Venia Legendi in Ophthalmology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Cologne.
- Since 2000, Head of the Department for the Treatment of the Anterior and Posterior Eye Segment (Successor of Thiel and Kreisig), University Hospital Tuebingen.
- Since 2003, Deputy Medical Director of the University Hospital Tuebingen.
- 2004 - 2012 President of the Society of Radiology.
- Since 2007, Head of the Department of Adult and Pediatric Ophthalmology at the University Hospital Tuebingen.
- Since 2009, Member of the Expert Committee at the Institute for Examination in Medicine and Pharmacology.
- Since 2013, Member of the Executive Committee of the German Society of Ophthalmology (DOG), as a Vice President.
- Since 2014, President of the German Society of Ophthalmology (DOG).
Photo of the doctor: (c) Universitätsklinikum Tübingen