Hospital Sachsenhausen - Academic Hospital of the University of Frankfurt am Main
Department of Cardiology, Gastroenterology and Sleep Medicine (333957)
Specialized in: cardiology, gastroenterology, sleep medicine
About the department
The Department of Cardiology, Gastroenterology and Sleep Medicine at the Hospital Sachsenhausen - Academic Hospital of the University of Frankfurt am Main covers a full range of diagnostics and treatment of all diseases of the gastrointestinal tract, liver and cardiovascular diseases. In addition, the department specializes in the study of sleep and related phenomena. The specialists of the department rely not only on expert knowledge and modern medical technologies, but also assign an important role to clinical experience and caring attitude towards patients. The head of the department is PD Dr. med Claudius Teupe.
In the field of Cardiology, the specialists of the department diagnose and treat cardiovascular diseases. Heart failure, coronary heart disease, cardiac rhythm disturbances and heart valve diseases are the most common pathologies in this field of medicine. A full range of high-precision diagnostics and effective therapeutic methods are offered here, ranging from classical methods to modern invasive and non-invasive techniques.
The department has a specialized department for the treatment of heart attacks, whereby the doctors provide emergency medical care to patients with clinical pictures such as a heart attack or angina pectoris.
The spectrum of diagnostic and therapeutic services in the field of interventional cardiology is:
- Cardiac catheterization of the right heart
- Left heart catheterization
- Percutaneous transluminal coronary angioplasty (balloon dilatation of the coronary arteries)
- Closure of defects of the interventricular septum (eg, an open oval window)
- Pacemaker implantation
- Electrical cardioversion
- Computed Tomography of the Heart (CT of the Heart)
- Magnetic resonance imaging of the heart (MRI of the heart)
- Myocardial scintigraphy
In the field of gastroenterology, particular attention is paid to the treatment of chronic inflammatory bowel diseases (Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis), metabolic disorders (metabolic syndrome) and liver diseases (chronic hepatitis B and C and other forms of chronic liver disease). All forms of endoscopic diagnostics and therapy are offered here, as well as endoscopic interventions.
Being a medical institution of maximum range of services, the department also offers services in the field of dietology. A team of dietitians takes care of the individual needs of patients. Proper nutrition during inpatient treatment and nutrition advice contribute to successful treatment outcomes. In addition, highly qualified dietitians offer to develop an individual diet.
Spectrum of diagnostic services in the field of gastroenterology:
- Esophagogastroduodenoscopy (esophagus gastroduodenoscopy)
- Examination of the esophagus, stomach and duodenum
- Special diagnostic methods for early detection of cancer and precancerous conditions (endoscopy, visualization using technical color filters, chromoendoscopy)
- Endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography (ERCP)
- Combined method: endoscopy and radiography
- Functional diagnostics
- Special functional diagnostics
- Hydrogen Breath Test
- 13C breath test
- Daily pH-metry
- Manometry of the esophagus
- Study of the secretion of the pancreas
- Long-term PH-metry and impedancemetry of the esophagus
The department offers the following therapeutic options for the treatment of gastrointestinal diseases:
Upper digestive tract
- Treatment of bleeding (round the clock)
- Treatment of varicose veins of the esophagus or stomach with a rubber band or injection of substances for gluing tissues
- Treatment of achalasia (narrowing of the lower sphincter) by balloon dilatation or by injection of botulinum toxin
- Removal of polyps
- Dilatation (balloon dilatation and bougie) to eliminate narrowing
- Stenting in stenosis of the esophagus
- Argon-plasma coagulation for the treatment of vascular malformations (angiodysplasia)
- Installation of a nasogastric tube (percutaneous endoscopically controlled gastrostomy, percutaneous endoscopically controlled jejunostomy)
- The setting of an endo harm for the treatment of diabetes (endoscopic method)
- Installation of an intragastric balloon for weight loss
Diseases of the colon and rectum
- Endoscopic polyps removal (polypectomy)
- Adenoma removal
- Dilation of stenosis, eg, with Crohn's disease or tumors
- Installation of metal stents for treatment of tumors or to prevent percolation
- Argon plasma coagulation for the treatment of vascular malformations (angiodysplasia)
- Treatment of hemorrhoids with the help of latex ring ligation
- Decompression with a probe to eliminate bloating
Biliary tract and pancreas
- Extension of the bile duct connection by incision
- Removal of bile duct stones, crushing stones and extracting fragments using a special basket
- Dilation in stenosis
- Installation of plastic or metal stents in stenosis that are caused by neoplasm
A separate direction of the department is sleep medicine (somnology). In 1995, the department opened a sleep laboratory, which was accredited by the German Society for Sleep Research and Sleep Medicine (DGSM) in the same year. To ensure quality services, the laboratory annually participates in the quality assessment program of the German Society for Sleep Research and Sleep Medicine (DGSM).
There are many diseases that manifest themselves during sleep or cause certain pathological symptoms in the dream. The most common and dangerous condition in the field of somnology is the syndrome of obstructive sleep apnea (OSAS), characterised by snoring alternating with breathing stops in sleep. With untimely treatment of this pathology, people who have this problem are at risk of heart attacks, heart failure, strokes, cardiac arrhythmia and car accidents due to involuntary falling asleep.
The sleep laboratory has the latest technical equipment at its disposal, which contributes to high-precision diagnosis and effective treatment. The laboratory is equipped with 9 polysomnographic measuring stations, which are located in single rooms with air conditioning, centralized monitoring system with computer control and the ability to record data. Also, the rooms have built-in rotating cameras for video surveillance.
In the field of sleep medicine, such diagnostic services are offered:
- Polysomnography (PSG) (should be prescribed by a doctor)
- Polygraphy (PG) for the detection of sleep apnea or nocturnal hypoxia in heart and lung diseases
- Comprehensive consultation (examination of anamnesis) with a special focus on sleep behavior, use of questionnaires for risk identification
- Clinical examinations: echocardiography, general body plethysmography, ECG, X-ray, laboratory tests
- Tests of vigilance, multiple latency tests for sleep (performed during sleep)
To treat sleep problems, doctors use all conservative therapies. They also offer all forms of home-made artificial ventilation: long-term oxygen therapy, CIPAP therapy, two-level therapy (Bilevel therapy), non-invasive home ventilation and adaptive servo ventilation (ASC) in case of Cheyne-Stokes breathing in heart failure.
Department of Cardiology, Gastroenterology and Sleep Medicine.
Hospital Sachsenhausen - Academic Hospital of the University of Frankfurt am Main:
Request more information now.
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
Thank you for your confidence in the Booking Health portal.
A medical consultant will contact you and answer all your questions in the near future.
you will receive a reply shortly Home