Prostate Cancer: The Best Hospitals in Germany for Comprehensive Treatment
Prostate cancer is the most common cancer in men and one of the main causes of death in the developed countries of Europe and North America. The proportion of prostate cancer among all cancers in men reaches 30-35% in some countries. The pathology is characterised by a latent course, so it’s not always diagnosed. It is assumed that the actual incidence of prostate cancer is still higher than the official statistics is.
The Booking Health portal presents 66 German clinics specializing in prostate cancer treatmentShow all clinics
Prostate Cancer – Diagnostics
Early examination greatly improves the chances of early detection of prostate cancer. Sooner the treatment is started, greater the chance of its success is.
Every man over the age of 40 may voluntary make an annual visit to the healthcare centres and undergo a blood test for PSA (prostate specific antigen). Its increased level is not a clear evidence of the prostate cancer development, but it is a reason for a more thorough examination of the patient.
Other methods of diagnostics:
- Digital rectal examination. In this way cancer symptoms can be found in 50% of patients. The probability of detection depends on the location of the tumor and its size.
- Prostate ultrasound. Allows to obtain a visual image of the tumor. The technique is about 1.5 times more likely to detect prostate cancer than the digital rectal examination.
- Biopsy. It’s the main method to confirm the diagnosis, especially at the early stages, when the tumor is still not palpable and cannot be detected by the ultrasound examination. The method consists of taking the prostate area part for future research. Upon detection of a tumor the biopsy is taken. If it is not found, the fragments from different areas of the prostate are taken for analysis (6-point or 12-point biopsy).
Best clinics for the prostate cancer diagnostics in Germany:
Medipol Mega University Hospital Istanbul
University Hospital of Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich
Hannover Medical School (MHH)
Prostate Cancer –Treatment
The therapeutic strategy depends on many factors, such as the form of the disease (localized, locally advanced or generalized cancer), the number and location of metastases, tumor size, and patient’s age.
The following options are applied for the prostate cancer treatment:
Radical prostatectomy is a removal of the prostate and seminal vesicles. This is the main method of treatment of the disease. Its goal is to completely cure the cancer. The operation is most effective with localized forms of pathology. The minimally invasive laparoscopic surgery can be performed in the good clinics, reducing the period of hospital stay and rehabilitation.
Radical prostatectomy with lymphadenectomy. In addition to prostate the lymph nodes, which may be affected by metastases, are also removed.
Radical prostatectomy with the help of the «daVinci» robot. The use of a robot-assisted system allows the surgeon to perform the more precise and less traumatic for the patient surgery, reducing the risk of postoperative or intraoperative complications, and the duration of rehabilitation. This operation will the most likely preserve the potency of men.
Radiation therapy. Tumor and body regions with metastases are irradiated, resulting in neoplasm tissue destruction. It can be used as an adjunct to surgery to reduce the risk of cancer recurrence.
The intensity-modulated radiation therapy (IMRT). This is more effective modification, that allows to increase the dose without causing additional damage to healthy tissue. The duration of radiation therapy can be reduced.
Brachytherapy is a contact interstitial radiation therapy. It can be combined with external beam radiation therapy.
PSMA therapy is an alternative to chemotherapy. It is assigned if the chemotherapy is contraindicated or not successful. The essence of the treatment is the introduction of weakly radioactive substance to the human body. It binds selectively to tumor cells and slows down the growth of metastases.
High-intensity focused ultrasound ablation (HIFU). During this procedure the parts of the tumor are exposed to the ultrasound. It is focused at a specific location, so doesn’t affect the healthy tissue. The procedure allows to destroy abnormal cells by heating them to high temperature.
Prostate cancer progresses relatively slowly when compared with other oncological pathologies. However, without treatment, 10-year survival of patients is only 15%.
Prostate Cancer – Innovative Treatment
Virotherapy. This is a unique technique for the treatment of malignant neoplasms of the prostate and other localizations, which is based on the introduction into the patient's body of a special strain of the virus. The virus affects only the pathologically altered cells. There are several types of oncotropic viruses. However, the first approved drug is Rigvir.
The essence of this method of treatment is the introduction of a safe for the human virus in the DNA of an atypical cell. After this, processes of its division, development and vital activity are violated. The cell dies, and the lymphatic cells of the human body absorb and destroy its remains. This treatment option can be used, either in monotherapy or in combination with other methods.
Nanotherapy. This is a state-of-art method of treating cancer, which is based on the introduction of nanoparticles into the human body. This intervention simultaneously pursues several purposes:
- Diagnostics of the disease
- Monitoring the quality of the provided therapy
Multitasking of nanorobots allows to deliver antitumor drugs exactly to the site of tumor localization, destroy metastases, and prevent the growth of new atypical cells.
Made from silicon particles have the another important property. After disintegration they secrete silicic acid, which can be used by the body to enhance regenerative processes in the bones and connective tissue. This is important for metastatic affection of other organs in patients with the prostate cancer.
Best clinics for the prostate cancer treatment in Germany:
Medicana International Ankara Hospital
University Hospital of Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich
Charite University Hospital Berlin
Prostate Cancer – Rehabilitation
After treatment of complex oncological diseases most patients require rehabilitation. It includes the following aspects:
- Prevention of complications that may occur as a result of treatment. It can be pneumonia, lymphostasis, thromboembolic or infectious complications.
- Restoration of general health. The elimination of the consequences after surgeries and chemotherapy is carried out. The functions of internal organs are restored with the help of various medical and rehabilitation measures.
- Restoration of occupation. A person must not just stay alive. He must have physical and intellectual capabilities, which are sufficient for employment.
- Psychological support. First of all, it is required for patients, whose occupational performance was harmed because of the disease. Patients with deterioration of appearance also will benefit from psychological help.
- Restoration of appearance. If necessary, you can use surgical and other methods in Germany to restore appearance defects caused by cancer. For example, to carry out the reconstruction of the breast.
- Social and domestic rehabilitation. A person with reduced workability is trained to act in the society and perform everyday tasks in new conditions.
In German clinics, rehabilitation is carried out in a comprehensive manner. The patients are provided with qualitative care here. Doctors' monitoring and conservative treatment allow to avoid complications, which usually happen after treatment of oncological diseases. Psychotherapy, physiotherapy and physical therapy are actively used in Germany.
Specialists in different medical spheres take part in the rehabilitation process. These are massage therapists, speech therapists, specialists in physiotherapy exercises, physiotherapists. Social and occupational therapy is carried out, as well. If necessary, people are taught how to eat properly, take care of a colostomy or urostomy, etc.
In Germany, rehabilitation is carried out with the maximum level of comfort for the patient. A person feels the results quite quickly and it improves his motivation and promotes further recovery.
Best clinics for oncological rehabilitation in Germany:
Max Grundig Clinic Buehl
1398.14Per daySee More
Author: Dr. Nadezhda Ivanisova
Here you can find the cost of treatment for this disease at the German University Hospitals. Leave a request and we will provide a free consultation with a doctor and will start organizing the whole treatment process.
The program includes the following:
- Issuing of an invitation for getting a visa for treatment as quick as possible
- Fixing an appointment at a time convenient for you
- Preliminary organization of a comprehensive examination and discussion of the forthcoming treatment plan
- Arranging transfer from the airport to the hospital and back to the airport
- Provision of interpreting services and services of a personal medical coordinator
- If necessary, assistance in the organization of further surgical treatment
- Provision of a medical insurance against treatment complications covering up to 200,000 euro
- Preparation and translation of medical records and recommendations from the hospital
- Assistance in the subsequent communication with your attending physician, including consultations on repeated X-ray images through the unique medical document management system E-doc