University Hospital of Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich
Department of Cardiology (113761)
Specialized in: cardiology
About the Department of Cardiology at University Hospital of Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich
According to the Focus magazine, the Department of Cardiology at the University Hospital of the Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich ranks among the top German departments specializing in the treatment of cardiovascular diseases!
The department offers the full range of diagnostic and therapeutic services in cardiology. Thanks to the long clinical experience, excellent technical equipment and close cooperation with other specialized clinics, the doctors of the department offer patients the comprehensive treatment meeting their individual needs and wishes. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Steffen Massberg.
The medical team of the department makes every effort to make the patient feel as comfortable as possible during the hospitalization. The highly accurate diagnostic methods and effective therapeutic interventions, which meet both national and international standards, are used in the clinical practice. The main focus is on therapy and counseling in common cardiac pathologies, such as coronary heart disease, heart valve diseases, heart failure, and cardiac rhythm disturbances (arrhythmias).
The range of medical services of the department includes:
- Optical coherence tomography (the innovative examination method of the coronary artery wall)
- Pacemaker implantation
- Defibrillator implantation
- Cardiac resynchronization therapy
- Event recorder implantation
- Consultations after the implantation of blood circulatory systems (for example, in the case of complications, infections)
- Catheter reconstruction of the mitral valve in the case of its insufficiency with the help of MitraClip method
- Renal artery denervation to reduce the risk of cardiovascular accidents, such as heart attack and stroke, in case of arterial hypertension
- Diagnostics and treatment of heart rhythm problems (arrhythmias)
- 24 hour ECG monitoring
- Electrophysiological examinations
- Catheter ablation
- Transcatheter aortic valve implantation (TAVI)
- Emergency medical care for patients with cardiological diseases
- Patient care before and after heart transplantation
- Other diagnostic and therapeutic options
Curriculum vitae of Prof. Dr. med. Steffen Massberg
On October 1, 2012, Prof. Dr. med. Steffen Massberg hold the position in the Chair of Cardiology and was appointed Head of the Department of Cardiology at the University Hospital of the Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich.
Dr. Massberg received a medical degree and defended his doctoral thesis at the Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich. Also, since 1997 till 1999, he worked here as a Research Assistant. Since 2005 till 2007, he worked at the Harvard Medical School in Boston as a Scholar of the Heisenberg Foundation of the German Research Foundation. The main focus of the doctor’s clinical interest is Interventional Cardiology, in particular, treatment of coronary heart disease and heart valve diseases with the help of catheter techniques. His main focuses include the development of new antithrombotic agents and new stents for the treatment of coronary artery stenosis, as well as new strategies for the treatment of heart valve disease. The specialist is the Coordinator of the European project (PRESTIGE), a Board Member and Founder of the Munich Heart Alliance, as well as a member of reputable professional societies and a winner of significant scientific awards.
Photo of the doctor: (c) LMU Klinikum
Department of Cardiology.
University Hospital of Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.