The diagnostics in Germany is highly accurate. The doctors in this country can detect testicular tumors at an early stage. They determine the histological type of the neoplasm, assess its size and spread to other organs. The diagnostics in a German clinic can be followed by treatment. The doctors can successfully cure testicular cancer at any stage, even with the availability of distant metastases.
An ultrasound scan is the main method for the diagnostics of germ cell tumors. The examination is carried out after the first symptoms of testicular cancer appear. These include a palpable node, swelling and soreness. The clinical signs appear already at an early stage of testicular cancer, which helps to diagnose oncology on time.
The ultrasound scan for cancer in Germany is carried out on high-precision devices. They have high resolution. With ultrasound scan, the diagnosis can be confirmed even without a biopsy. According to the results of ultrasound scan, the patient can immediately be prescribed surgery.
The cancer diagnostics in Germany involves laboratory tests for tumor markers. They serve to assess the levels of:
- HCG – human chorionic gonadotropin;
- AFP – alpha-fetoprotein.
According to the results of laboratory tests, one can assume not only the presence of a germ cell tumor, but also its histological type. This is important because performing a biopsy before surgery is dangerous for the patient. It can lead to the spread of the tumor process.
All germ cell tumors are divided into seminoma and non-seminoma neoplasms. This division is due to the fact that the first type of neoplasm can be treated using radiation therapy, while the second one cannot be treated using this method. In addition, a different chemotherapy regimen should be selected for different histological types.
A testicular seminoma can rarely lead to the increased levels of tumor markers in a blood test. If this happens, only hCG increases, but AFP levels never increase.
In most cases, non-seminoma tumors can lead to the increased concentration of tumor markers in the blood. By its change, one can judge the course of the disease and the success of treatment. When determining the levels of tumor markers, the doctor can understand whether the oncology can be cured, or if additional therapy methods are required. In the long-term period after surgery, these tests help to timely identify relapse and conduct treatment.
The doctors almost never perform a biopsy of a testicle to diagnose cancer. Firstly, it is not particularly needed, since other dense neoplasms cannot be developed in the scrotum. If the ultrasound scan detects a tight knot, this is testicular cancer with a probability close to 100%. Secondly, a biopsy is simply dangerous. If the tumor is damaged, it can spread to other organs or lymph nodes.
The histological diagnostics in Germany follows after the surgical procedure to remove the testicle. The material will be sent to the laboratory and its specialists will determine what type of tumor the patient has developed. It is important to know for the proper selection of the treatment regimen. The histological type primarily affects the chemotherapy regimen. In addition, in case of testicular seminoma, irradiation can be used instead of drugs. Since this type of tumor is very sensitive to radiation therapy, the low doses of radiation are sufficient to destroy metastasis.
The imaging tests are used to determine the stage of testicular cancer. They are of great importance in oncology, since they allow the doctor to see metastatic foci, assess the size of the neoplasm and the degree of spread in the surrounding tissue (primarily in the vessels).
In addition to the ultrasound scan, the doctors in Germany use the following diagnostic methods:
- Chest x-ray. It allows for the diagnostics of metastasis, if they develop in the lungs.
- CT scan. It is used to identify metastatic foci in the nearest and distant lymph nodes, liver or other organs of the abdominal cavity.
- MRI scan. The method is used to identify foci of testicular cancer in the spinal cord or brain.
- PET. It involves the administration in the body of radioactive substances that selectively accumulate in cancer cells. This procedure is followed by the CT scan.
Most methods are used if the doctor has reason to believe that there may be distant metastases in the body. Their occurrence is signaled by additional symptoms, as well as by the increased levels of tumor markers. A blood analysis often shows the increased levels of LDH (lactate dehydrogenase).
The CT scan is used in many patients. This is the best method for detecting tumor foci in regional lymph nodes. The method helps to choose the optimal approach to treatment. Thanks to the CT scan, a German doctor can understand whether a person needs surgery to remove paraaortic lymph nodes.
The PET scans are mostly performed in case of seminoma, because in other types of testicular cancer malignant cells do not absorb radionuclides well. Therefore, scanning is ineffective.
Features of diagnostics in Germany
Germany demonstrates a much higher incidence of early detection of malignant tumors. Testicular cancer is no exception. The country offers modern diagnostic methods that provide accurate imaging of the scrotum organs. Thanks to high-resolution ultrasound devices, even tumors of the smallest size can be detected.
The German hospitals practice the most advanced diagnostic tests, which are necessary to determine the stage of testicular cancer. The patients can undergo MRI, CT and PET scans.
The patients who need active surveillance often get diagnosed in Germany as well. The German doctors carry out the diagnostics every 3 or 6 months. This may be required in the following cases:
- stage 0 neoplasm (cancer in situ) – removal of the testicle may not be required, but doctors watch the patient to determine when the operation will be necessary;
- after cancer treatment, especially if chemotherapy or radiation after surgery has not been used.
You can use the services of the Booking Health company to undergo the diagnostics of testicular cancer in Germany. We will arrange your diagnostics and treatment in the best German medical centers. You will receive medical care from the doctors who treat politicians, businessmen, athletes, movie stars and pop stars around the world. It is in Germany that you can be provided with the best medical care that will help to detect testicular cancer in time and then cure it once and for all.
We provide the following services and benefits:
- Selection of the best hospital for the diagnostics of testicular cancer in Germany, which specializes in combating this disease and shows the best statistics on patient survival.
- Reduced cost of treatment due to the lack of additional coefficients for foreign patients.
- Establishment of communication with a German physician.
- Preparation of a diagnostic program taking into account the results of previously completed studies.
- Booking an appointment on the most suitable dates for you.
- Monitoring of the diagnostic program at all its stages.
- Monitoring the cost of all procedures and return of unspent funds upon the completion of the program.
- Communication with a German Cancer Clinic after treatment.
- Buying of medicines and their forwarding to another country.
- Organization of additional diagnostic or therapeutic procedures.
The Booking Health company will provide you with high-quality service. We will help to book a hotel, draw up the necessary documents, buy airline tickets. You will be met at the airport and taken to the hospital. Once the diagnostics of testicular cancer in Germany is completed, you will be taken back to the airport.