Treatment of pathological conditions, accompanied by the formation of malignant cells in the body, is constantly in the process of research and development in order to increase maximum efficiency.
Proton therapy overview
Radiation therapy of the cancer process involves the use of various elementary particles that are accelerated to a certain speed and carry energy that has a destructive effect on cancer cells. In modern oncological practice, several types of radiation are used.
For external radiation therapy (the radiation source is outside the patient's body), several types of radiation are used in radiation therapy centers: photon radiation therapy and proton therapy.
Of all types of radiation treatment for malignant tumors, proton therapy is the most effective, which is associated with certain features of protons.
Physical characteristics of the proton beams determine the significant advantages of the use of proton therapy in oncology centers. These include:
- The destructive effect of protons on cancer cells due to a significant amount of energy released towards the tumor
- The minimal damaging effect of proton irradiation on healthy tissues adjacent to the tumor made it possible to use proton therapy in patients of all age categories, including children
- The ability to target the tumor with a thin proton beam ensures the accuracy of focusing
- Absence of severe side effects from radiation therapy
Such advantages of using proton therapy in cancer centers in Germany determine the qualitative and effective destruction of a malignant tumor without the use of surgery, chemotherapy, and X-ray radiation therapy.
Proton therapy is often used in the treatment of patients with metastases. In modern oncology centers, this technique can be used both independently and in combination with other methods of treating cancer patients.
Indications for proton therapy
Proton therapy is indicated for malignant tumors of almost all types. All cancer cells are characterized by an intensive metabolism and high division activity. The main histological tumor types for which proton therapy is indicated include:
- Tumor of glandular tissues
- Epithelial tumor (develops from the skin and mucous membranes of internal organs)
- Tumors of muscle and connective tissue
- Bone cancer
Proton therapy is also indicated for benign tumors that are localized in hard-to-reach regions and are not accessible for other cancer treatment methods.
The oncologists in medical centers prescribe a course of proton therapy in the localization of a malignant tumor near vital organs, since the use of other techniques can increase the damaging effect on healthy tissues.
Indications for proton therapy for cancer depend on the location of the tumor. These indications include the following localizations of the tumor process:
- Brain cancer, regardless of the histological type of the tumor.
- Malignant tumors of the lungs and other organs of the chest.
- Tumors in the groin area. The cancer treatment of this area using aggressive techniques can lead to significant changes in the genital functioning, with the possible development of infertility; therefore, the use of proton therapy is preferable.
- Cancer process in the liver. The cells of this organ are characterized by intensive metabolism and are sensitive to any damaging influences. Due to the minimal damaging effect, proton therapy is indicated in patients with liver cancer.
- Cancer process in the bones. Bone cancer is an indication for proton therapy due to the proximity of the red bone marrow, which is sensitive to other methods of treating tumors.
The low risk of complications and side effects, as well as the ability to accurately focus the proton beam on a malignant tumor, expand the indications for the use of proton therapy in patients of different age groups. It is the safety characteristics that make proton therapy the method of choice for tumor treatment in children and elderly patients. Also, proton therapy for cancer treatment can possibly be used in pregnant or lactating female patients.
Indications for proton therapy for cancer treatment, as well as the dosage and duration of the course, are determined by the oncologist of the cancer care center for each patient individually, depending on the characteristics and localization of the malignant tumor. In atypical cases, such treatment is elaborated by the tumor board, with the involvement of various specialists.
Where can I undergo proton therapy in Germany?
Health tourism is becoming more and more popular these days, as a treatment in radiation therapy centers abroad often ensures a much better quality of proton therapy.
The following hospitals show the best success rates in proton beam therapy in Germany:
- University Hospital Essen
- University Hospital Heidelberg
You can find more information about the hospitals in Germany on the Booking Health website.
The cost of treatment in Germany
The prices in hospitals listed on the Booking Health website are relatively low. With Booking Health, you can undergo proton therapy in Germany at an affordable price.
The cost for proton therapy treatment varies, as the prices depend on hospitals, the specifics of the disease, and the complexity of its treatment.
The average cost for proton therapy treatment in Germany is 75,000 EUR, while proton therapy for prostate cancer treatment costs 80,414 EUR, proton therapy for brain cancer treatment costs 80,670 EUR, and proton therapy for lung cancer treatment costs 80,495 EUR.
You also need to consider the cost of additional procedures and follow-up care. Therefore, the ultimate cost of treatment in Germany may differ from the initial price.
To make sure that the cost of proton therapy treatment and the overall cost of treatment in Germany is suitable for you, contact us by leaving the request on the Booking Health website.
How can I undergo proton therapy in Germany?
It is not easy to self-organize any treatment abroad. It requires certain knowledge and expertise. Thus, it is safer, easier, and less stressful to shift some responsibility onto a medical tourism agency.
As the largest and most transparent medical tourism agency in the world, Booking Health has up-to-date information about proton therapy treatment in the best hospitals in Germany. Therefore, Booking Health will help you select the right medical center taking into account your wishes for treatment.
We want to help you and take on all the troubles. You can be free of unnecessary stress, while Booking Health takes care of all organizational issues regarding the treatment in medical centers. Our services are aimed at undergoing proton therapy safely and successfully.
Medical tourism can be easy! All you need to do is to leave a request on the Booking Health website, and our manager will contact you shortly.