Radiotherapy of retinoblastoma (program ID: 284533)
University Hospital Tuebingen
Daniel ZipsSpecialized in: radiation oncology
Department of Radiation Oncology
- Initial presentation in the clinic
- clinical history taking
- review of medical records
- physical examination
- laboratory tests:
- complete blood count
- general urine analysis
- biochemical analysis of blood
- TSH-basal, fT3, fT4
- tumor markers
- indicators of inflammation
- indicators blood coagulation
- CT planning of radiation therapy
- a full course of conventional radiation therapy
- nursing services
- explanation of future recommendations
You may also book
About the department
According to the Focus magazine, the Department of Radiation Oncology at the University Hospital Tuebingen ranks among the top German departments specializing in radiation therapy!
The department offers all advanced types of radiation therapy for the treatment of oncological diseases. Any therapeutic procedure is prescribed individually, taking into account the specific situation and course of pathology. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Daniel Zips.
The modern medical equipment and outstanding competence of the physicians contribute to the successful clinical practice of the department. The department is equipped with 6 state-of-the-art linear accelerators, as well as PET-CT, MRI devices for radiation planning, a system for the subsequent introduction of radioactive drugs and a hyperthermia device. All of these options provide the highest level of medical care. Most often, the department's specialists have to deal with the treatment of such oncological diseases as the brain tumors, head and neck tumors, lung, breast, uterine, rectal, prostate cancer, etc.
The therapeutic options of the department include:
- Intensity-modulated radiation therapy
- Imaging-guided high precision irradiation
- Fractionated stereotactic radiation therapy using a linear accelerator
- Radiosurgery using a linear accelerator
- Palliative care
- Partial hyperthermia in combination with radiation therapy and chemotherapy
- Radiation therapy in recurrent oncopathology
- PET-CT and MRI for the treatment planning
- Therapy within the clinical trials
- Other treatment methods
Scientific and Professional Activities
- 1991 - 1997 Study of Human Medicine, Charité Faculty of Medicine, Humboldt University of Berlin; Faculty of Medicine, Technical University of Dresden.
- 1997 - 1999 Research Fellow at the Laboratory of Radiation Biology, Department of Radiation Therapy and Radiation Oncology, Faculty of Medicine, Technical University of Dresden (Prof. Dr. med. M. Baumann).
- 1999 - 2004 Intern, Assistant Physician, Department of Radiation Therapy and Radiation Oncology, Medical Faculty of the Technical University of Dresden (Prof. Dr. med. T. Herrmann).
- 2000 Title of Doctor of Medicine (doctoral thesis defense, magna cum laude), Faculty of Medicine, Technical University of Dresden (Prof. Dr. Gräßler, Pathological Biochemistry).
- 2003 Research Fellow, Cancer Genetics, MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas (Prof. Dr. G. Lozano).
- 2004 Medical Specialist in Radiotherapy.
- 2006 Habilitation, Venia Legendi in Radiation Therapy, Faculty of Medicine, Technical University of Dresden.
- 2006 Appointment as a Senior Physician.
- 2006 - 2012 Head of the Research Group on Experimental Radiation Therapy of Tumors, OncoRay, Department of Radiation Therapy and Radiation Oncology, Faculty of Medicine, Technical University of Dresden, and University Hospital Dresden.
- 2010 - 2012 Deputy Head of the Department of Radiation Therapy, Head of the Section of Radiation Therapy at the University Cancer Center.
- Since 01.04.2012, Head of the Department of Radiation Oncology at the University Hospital Tuebingen.
- Since 15.07.2013, Representative of the Comprehensive Cancer Center Tuebingen.
Awards and Honors
- 2007 Hermann Holthusen Prize, German Society for Radiation Oncology (DEGRO).
- 2007 ESTRO Varian Award for Clinical Trials.
Membership in Scientific Societies
- Clinical Committee, Young ESTRO Group Leader.
- German Society of Radiation Oncology (DEGRO).
- German Cancer Aid (Deutsche Krebshilfe).
- Association of Radiation Oncology.
- European Society for Hyperthermic Oncology (ESHO).
Main Clinical Focuses
- Individualized radiation therapy for head and neck tumors, lung, prostate cancer.
- Stereotactic irradiation.
- Combined therapy.