Diagnosis and conservative treatment for liver cirrhosis (program ID: 564279)
University Hospital Tuebingen
Nisar MalekSpecialized in: gastroenterology, hepatology, infectology
Department of Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Infectology
- Initial presentation in the clinic
- clinical history taking
- review of medical records
- physical examination
- laboratory tests:
- complete blood count
- biochemical analysis of blood
- (ALT, AST, GGT, AP, Bilirubin)
- enzymes and proteins
- hepatitis serology
- tumor markers (AFP)
- inflammation indicators (CRP, ESR)
- indicators blood coagulation
- abdominal ultrasound
- fibroscan (transient elastography)
- doppler blood vessels of the liver
- gastroscopy with endoscopic variceal banding
or sclerotherapy (if indicated)
- removing fluid with a needle in aszitis (paracentesis)
- detox therapy
- consultation of related specialists
- symptomatic specific treatment
- the cost of essential medicines and materials
- nursing services
- control examinations
- full hospital accommodation
- developing of further guidance
You may also book
About the department
The Department of Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Infectology at the University Hospital Tuebingen offers the full range of services for the diagnostics and treatment of pathologies of the digestive tract and liver, as well as infectious diseases. In the department, the patient is provided with the first-class medical care using the most advanced therapeutic techniques, individual care of highly qualified doctors and nurses. In addition, the department conducts active research activities aimed at the development of new treatment options for previously incurable pathologies. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Nisar Malek.
The doctors have special competence in the treatment of liver and biliary tract, esophageal, intestinal and pancreatic cancer. In the course of treatment, the patients receive comprehensive consultations, an informative second opinion, a comprehensive examination, an individually developed step-by-step treatment plan. If desired, the patient can take part in the clinical trials of a medicinal product or treatment method, which saves lives in some cases.
The department has excellent options to perform various endoscopic procedures for the diagnostic and therapeutic purposes. For example, to diagnose the upper gastrointestinal tract, doctors conduct esophagogastroduodenoscopy, endosonography, chromoendoscopy, endomicroscopy, etc., while the therapeutic range in this field includes polypectomy, endoscopic submucosal dissection, dilation and bougienage in stenosis, closure of perforations and anastomotic defects, removal of foreign bodies and many other endoscopic procedures.
The main clinical activities of the department include:
- Diagnostics and treatment of diseases of the liver and bile ducts, including acute and chronic liver diseases, rare diseases of the liver and bile ducts
- All types of acute and chronic viral infections of the liver (for example, hepatitis B and hepatitis C)
- Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease
- Autoimmune diseases of the liver and biliary tract (for example, primary biliary cholangitis, primary sclerosing cholangitis and autoimmune hepatitis)
- Metabolic disorders of the liver (for example, hemochromatosis and Wilson's disease)
- Patient care before and after liver transplantation
- Infectious diseases of the liver (for example, bacterial abscess of the liver and parasitosis)
- Diagnostics and treatment of the pancreatic diseases
- Diagnostics and treatment of stomach and esophageal diseases
- Diagnostics and treatment of bowel diseases
- Crohn's disease
- Ulcerative colitis
- Celiac disease
- Microscopic colitis
- Diagnostics and treatment of benign and malignant tumors of the liver and biliary tract, esophagus, intestines and pancreas
- Diagnostics and treatment of infectious diseases (special focus on the treatment of HIV infection)
- Diagnostics and treatment of other pathologies
- 2015 - present Director, Center for Personalized Medicine (ZPM), University Hospital Tuebingen.
- 2013 - present Deputy Director, Comprehensive Cancer Center Tuebingen-Stuttgart.
- 2011 - present Full Professor and Director, Department of Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Infectiology, University Hospital Tuebingen.
- 2008 Professorship for Cell Proliferation Control within the Cluster of Excellence "REBIRTH", Hannover Medical School, Hannover.
- 2007 - 2011 Group Leader, Trans Med Lab, Helmholtz Centre for Infection Research, Braunschweig.
- 2007 Habilitation in Internal Medicine, Hannover Medical School, Hannover.
- 2002 - 2007 Group Leader, Institute for Molecular Biology, Hannover Medical School, Hannover.
- 1998 - 2001 Postdoctoral Fellow, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, USA.
- 1996 Doctor of Medicine, Hannover Medical School, Hannover.
Scholarships, Awards and Administrative Functions
- 2015 - present Speaker, Research Committee of the German Society for Internal Medicine (DGIM).
- 2014 - present Member, Scientific Review Board of the German Cancer Aid (Deutsche Krebshilfe).
- 2012 - present Member, Scientific Advisory Board, Comprehensive Cancer Center Göttingen.
- 2012 - present Member, Board of Trustees, Fritz Lipman Institute for Aging Research, Jena.
- 2007 - present Speaker, early drug development/phase 1 group (AIO).
- 2009 Board Certification, Internal Medicine and Gastroenterology.
- 2009 Johann Georg Zimmermann Prize for Cancer Research.
- 2008 Scientific Award of the German Working Group on Oncology (AIO).
- 2006 Consultant, Department of Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Endocrinology, Hannover Medical School, Hannover.
- 2006 Board Certification, Internal Medicine.
Accommodation in hospital
- Program [Description]
Diagnosis and conservative treatment for liver cirrhosis
- Hospital: University Hospital Tuebingen
- access_time Duration:
There are 35 liver cirrhosis treatment hospitals on Booking Health websiteShow all clinics