About the disease
Ankylosing spondylitis is an autoimmune disease. It forms in the skeleton. This autoimmune system fights against the axial skeleton of the patient. Axial skeleton includes the bones of the skull, rib cage and vertebral column. More specifically, it consists of the bones of the skull, ears, neck, ribcage, pelvis and spine. Axial skeleton has exactly 80 bones in the body of the human.
During ankylosin spondytlitis a person`s spine and joints in the pelvis become damaged. Causes for ankylosing spondylitis are mostly genetic, as it can be passed from one generation to another. Ankylosing spondylitis is also known as the Bekterev`s disease.
- Constant pain
- Stiffness during morning hours
- Inability to move freely
- Pain in joints and also in pelvis
The stage of ankylosing spondylitis is determined by radiology. It can also be diagnosed with help of X-Ray and MRI. Genetic testing can also determine if a person has this condition, so it`s essential for people, whose parents or relatives have ankylosing spondylitis, to undergothis testing in the hospital.
- Dorsal fixation or ostheosynthesis in patients with neck fracture is a prcedure, during which thoracic and lumbar pedicles are fixated to reduce the inflammation and slow the progression of the disease.
- Neck angle correction is used to correct the curvature of this angle is it was damaged by this disease. The neck spurs can also be removed during this procedure.
- Lumbar angle correction also corrects the angle if lumbar region changed.
- Medication is used to reduce the pain in spine and joints. Drugs can also slow the rapid development of ankylosing spondylitis. Nevertheless, almost all medications have serious side effects.
- Joint replacement can be performed if the pain is too severe and there is no other option.
- Physical therapy brings beneficial results for the patients with such disease and it also has no side effects. of course, the exercises, that are practiced in physical therapy, must be moderate, The most famous ones are jogging and aerobic therapy, which can be done in groups with a specially trained professional thermotherapy can also help reduce the ankylosing spondylitis symptoms and to reduce the pain in pelvis and spine joints. This treatment for ankylosing spondylitis is usually done additionally to other treatment options.