Stem Cell Therapy in Germany
Best hospitals and doctors for stem cell therapy treatment in Germany
Due to the difficulties associated with the organization of treatment in Turkey, Switzerland, South Korea and India, we are not currently processing requests to these regions.
If you are interested in treatment in Germany, please leave a request and our specialists will contact you as soon as possible.
Cost for treatment
- Essence of the treatment with stem cells
- Types and sources of stem cells
- Role of the growth hormone in stem cell therapy in Germany
- Which pathologies can be treated with stem cells?
- Which hospitals in Germany provide stem cell therapy?
- How to apply for stem cell therapy in Germany?
Essence of the treatment with stem cells
The whole human body develops from the union of two cells – a spermatozoon and an ovum. An impregnated ovum starts dividing and giving origin to more and more new cellular types. These cellular progenitors of all tissues and organs are stem cells (SCs). In addition to embryonic ones, SCs can also be harvested from the adult organism or produced in the laboratory. Their clinical significance is based on regenerative potency with restoring lost or damaged tissues, including brain and spinal cord, optic nerve, peripheral nerve endings, myocardium, etc. German medical centers offer therapeutic, anti aging and rejuvenation programs based on SCs administration.
Types and sources of stem cells
Basically, the most powerful stem cells are found in the embryos at the stage of blastocyst. This stage lasts for 3-5 days after the fertilization, before implantation in a uterus. Embryonic stem cells (ESCs) are harvested from embryos that are fertilized in vitro. Such embryos are donated for the research and clinical tasks, with signing the informed consent form. ESCs are never harvested from eggs that are fertilized in vivo, i.e. in a human body. Nevertheless, ESCs are used in the limited number of countries due to the peculiarities of legislation and ethical reasons.
Cord blood stem cells are SCs from the umbilical cord blood. They are harvested right after the childbirth. Such cells are especially valuable for the newborn they are harvested from. Being reliably frozen in a cell bank, cord blood SCs can be further used to treat a number of pathologies in this particular person.
Adult stem cells are more specialized. There are hematopoietic, mesenchymal, neural, epithelial, and skin SCs. Depending on the disease and clinical situation, adult SCs are harvested from bone marrow, fatty tissue or articular cartilage. In order to achieve the best clinical outcome, cellular material may also be processed in the laboratory conditions. As a result of the genetic reprogramming, induced pluripotent stem cells are received. They combine benefits of embryonic and adult SCs.
Role of the growth hormone in stem cell therapy in Germany
Due to the genetic and metabolic peculiarities, pluripotent stem cells can divide rapidly and form large populations. However, with beginning of differentiation and specialization this process slows down. For instance, cartilaginous cells divide 10-15 times less often compared to the skin cells, and neural cells do not divide at all. That is why diverse stimulators of cells proliferation and division are applied in order to make stem cell therapy more effective.
The most efficient and easy-to-apply substance from this pharmacological group is the growth hormone. Typically, doctors use the recombinant human growth hormone (rhGH). Unlike the native human growth hormone, the rhGH is better tolerated and has more clinically apparent action. The drug is introduced by the subcutaneous injection.
It has been proven that application of growth hormone during stem cell therapy in Germany improves clinical outcomes in patients with cardiomyopathy and other heart pathologies. In addition, clinical trials have demonstrated favorable changes in the mesenchymal stem cells differentiation under the influence of rhGH. Thus, in the simultaneous introduction of rhGH adult mesenchymal stem cells do not start adipogenic cellular lines, but undergo active differentiation towards osteogenesis.
Which pathologies can be treated with stem cells?
Under the influence of the external stimuli, the induced pluripotent stem cells can differentiate into different tissues. A number of ongoing clinical trials are designed for investigating different stimuli and finding the most efficient ones. Today, German clinics administer SCs as a part of complex therapeutic regimens in patients with the following conditions:
- Stem cell treatment for Alzheimer's disease in Germany
- Stem cell therapy for Parkinson's disease in Germany
- Infectious diseases, including Lyme disease
- Stem cell treatment for muscular dystrophy in Germany
- Stem cell treatment for cancer in Germany
- Diabetes mellitus and its complications, including diabetic neuropathy and retinopathy
- Stem cell heart treatment in Germany, including treatment of congestive heart failure
- Stem cell therapy for hearing loss in Germany
- Stem cell treatment for ED in Germany
- Different forms of vision loss, including vision loss against the background of retinitis pigmentosa
It should be noted that regeneration of the nervous tissue has certain peculiarities. For instance, stem cell treatment for Alzheimer's disease in Germany and the same treatment for spinal cord injury are based on the different principles. When treating pathologies of the brain and pathologies without precise localization of the pathological locus SCs may be introduced intravenously. On the contrary, injuries of the spinal cord typically have clear localization, so that target introduction of stem cells may be performed.
Which hospitals in Germany provide stem cell therapy?
Stem cell therapy is performed in large University clinics, as the addition to conventional therapeutic options. Besides, there are medical centers that give the priority exactly to biological techniques and cellular therapy. One of the leaders in this sphere is the Clinic of Advanced Biological Medicine in Frankfurt am Main.
The clinic offers treatment with different subtypes of stem cells, including SCs harvested from a patient himself or from a relevant donor. It should be mentioned that fresh stem cell therapy in Germany is under the investigation yet. Fresh SCs also have the rejuvenating and healing effect on the human body, but they are harvested from animals or even plants. Safety and efficacy of fresh stem cells have not been proven yet.
What is the cost of stem cell treatment in Germany? This primarily depends on the clinical diagnosis, stage of the disease and severity of functional disorders, as well as on the patient’s age. Thus, all-inclusive price for the SCs therapy for immunodeficiencies reaches 16.800 euros, while price for the SCs therapy for neurological complications of the diabetes mellitus starts from 17.000 euros. You may clarify this question in advance during the consultation with Booking Health medical advisors and patient case managers.
How to apply for stem cell therapy in Germany?
International patients may undergo stem cell treatment in Germany along with citizens of the country. This is possible due to the work of the international medical tourism provider Booking Health. The company has over 15 years of experience in arranging comprehensive diagnostic and therapeutic programs in different spheres of medicine. Quality control certificate ISO 9001:2015 in the field of medical tourism confirms the highest level of services, including the following ones:
- Choosing the hospital that specialized in therapy with SCs based on the annual qualification profile
- Preparing medical program in advance, explaining all the procedures
- Establishing communication with your treating physician
- Providing favorable costs for medical and relevant services, without overpricing and additional fees (saving up to 50%)
- Booking the appointment, avoiding long waiting lists
- Monitoring medical program at all stages by independent experts
- Help in buying and forwarding of innovative medicines, if necessary
- Communication with the clinic and physician after treatment completion
- Control of invoices, double checking final calculation
- Organization of additional procedures and examinations, if any are required
- Offering travel service of the TOP level: booking hotels and tickets, transfer organization, services of translator and interpreter