The transplantation of stem cells obtained from bone marrow or blood is applied for the treatment of leukemia in children. It allows the doctor to cure the pathology in the cases where success cannot be achieved using chemotherapy alone.
Who needs bone marrow transplantation?
As a rule, children with leukemia do not require stem cell transplantation. However, in some cases, it is very likely to cure the disease. This treatment option in lymphoblastic leukemia can be used in the following cases:
- patient is at high risk (by age, genetic characteristics of malignant cells, response to chemotherapy);
- poor response to induction (if it is difficult to achieve a remission);
- Philadelphia chromosome leukemia;
- some rare, most severe types of T-cell leukemia.
Stem cell transplantation is rarely carried out in adults, as well as in children with a relapse after 6 months or later upon the induction phase completion (intensive chemotherapy at the initial stage of the treatment). In prolonged remission, it is very likely to achieve a good result by means of repeated chemotherapy according to the same scheme.
In myeloid leukemia, any relapse after a course of chemotherapy is an indication for stem cell transplantation, but the doctors can perform this procedure only during the remission period. Otherwise, a relapse will occur after bone marrow transplantation.
What types of transplantation can be carried out?
Stem cell transplantation can be autologous and allogeneic. The doctors mostly use allogeneic one, in which the cells are transplanted only from the donor. This provides the following advantages:
- donor biomaterial definitely does not contain cancer cells;
- it initiates the reaction "graft-versus-tumor effect" (cancer cells have acquired the ability to evade patient's own immune systems);
- complete cure of the disease is possible, while the autologous transplantation often results in relapse.
At the same time, allogeneic transplantation is more dangerous. When using donor material from a relative who has good HLA compatibility, it is less likely to cause complications. This is usually a brother or sister. If the patient does not have such relative, the biomaterial is taken from an unrelated donor who can be selected in the database.
Here are some of the possible complications:
- graft versus host disease;
- rejection of implanted cells by the immune system of the recipient;
- infections that are most dangerous during the first one and a half month after the procedure, because the patient has a very weak immunity.
At the same time, this treatment option gives good results. It can rarely cause relapses. The doctors perform everything possible during the treatment in order to avoid complications. If the procedure is successful, the child can be completely cured of leukemia.
Treatment in Germany with the Booking Health company
To undergo bone marrow transplantation in leukemia, you can use the services of the Booking Health company. We will arrange this trip for you. With the help of our online service you can find out the costs for bone marrow transplantation in Germany and book a program. Our company provides the following benefits:
- We will study your medical history and select the best clinic specializing in bone marrow transplantation in Germany, which shows the greatest success and the least risks in this procedure.
- Reduced costs. If you saw the costs for bone marrow transplantation in Germany, you probably noticed that the procedure is quite expensive. Thanks to the Booking Health company, the price will be reduced due to insurance, lack of coefficients and overpricing for foreign patients.
- Booking an appointment on the most suitable dates for you.
- Preparation of the program, taking into account previously performed examinations.
- Establishment of communication directly with your attending physician.
- Monitoring of the program at all its stages.
- Control of costs for bone marrow transplantation in Germany, return of unspent funds.
- Buying and forwarding of medicines.
- Organization of additional diagnostics and treatment.
- Communication with the clinic upon completion of bone marrow transplantation for leukemia.
The Booking Health company will provide you with top-class services. We will book a hotel and airline tickets for you, arrange a transfer to the airport and back after the treatment program completion.