Alzheimer's Disease Diagnostics (program ID: 134601)
University Hospital Muenster
Heinz WiendlSpecialized in: general neurology
Department of General Neurology
- Initial presentation in the clinic
- clinical history taking
- review of medical records
- physical examination
- neurological examination
- mental status examination
- laboratory tests:
- complete blood count
- biochemical blood test
- hormone test (TSH)
- inflammation markers (CRP, ESR)
- blood coagulation analysis (aPTT, PT, INR)
- electroencephalography (EEG)
- CT/MRI scan of the head
(if indicated clinically, additional cost is 650/1200 €)
- PET-CT (if indicated clinically,
additional cost is 1800 €)
- nursing services
- services of all leading experts
- explanation of individual treatment plan
- Medical records
- Brain MRI/CT scan (if available)
You may also book
About the department
According to the Focus magazine, the Department of General Neurology at the University Hospital Muenster ranks among the top German departments specializing in the treatment of multiple sclerosis and Parkinson's disease!
The department offers tremendous options for the diagnostics and treatment of nervous system diseases. The successful clinical practice of the department is based on the combination of unique qualifications of doctors, high competence of the medical staff and modern technical equipment. Medical care is provided in close cooperation with other specialized departments of the hospital, for example, with the Department of Neurosurgery, Radiology. Of particular importance is the treatment of complex and rare types of neurological diseases. The department is headed by Prof. Prof. h.c. Dr. med. Heinz Wiendl.
The department has all the necessary specialized sections for the provision of comprehensive treatment of patients with neurological diseases, for example, the Day Hospital, the Stroke Unit, the Intensive Care Unit, the specialized Epilepsy Center, the Neurogenetic Laboratory, the Neurosomological Laboratory, the Electrophysiological Laboratory, etc. Therefore, the department has optimal conditions for the top-class medical care of patients in accordance with the international medical standards.
The service range of the department includes:
- Diagnostics and treatment of amyloidosis
- Diagnostics and treatment of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis
- Diagnostics and treatment of (auto)immune encephalitis
- Anti-NMDA receptor encephalitis
- Limbic encephalitis
- Brainstem encephalitis
- Morvan syndrome
- Acquired neuromyotonia
- Diagnostics and treatment of chronic progressive hereditary neuropathies
- Diagnostics and treatment of inflammatory nervous system diseases
- Multiple sclerosis
- Acute disseminated encephalomyelitis
- Retrobulbar neuritis
- Rheumatism affecting the nervous system
- Diagnostics and treatment of inflammatory neuromuscular diseases
- Inflammatory polyneuropathies
- Diagnostics and treatment of epilepsy
- Diagnostics and treatment of memory disorders
- Diagnostics and treatment of Fabry disease
- Diagnostics and treatment of Pompe disease
- Ultrasound examination of the nerve endings and muscles
- Diagnostics and treatment of neuromuscular diseases
- Diagnostics and treatment of brain and spinal cord tumors (neuro-oncology)
- Diagnostics and treatment of Parkinson's disease, other motor disorders
- Diagnostics and treatment of sleep disorders
- Diagnostics and treatment of stroke and other neurovascular diseases
- Diagnosis and treatment of swallowing disorders
- Diagnostics and treatment of vasculitides and inflammatory processes in the blood vessels
- Other medical services
- 1997 Admission to medical practice.
- 1989 - 1996 Study of Human Medicine at the Universities of Erlangen, Basel and Duke University.
- 2004 Doctoral thesis defense. Subject: "Immune regulation in muscle tissue: significance for the immune pathogenesis of inflammatory myopathies".
- 1996 Doctoral Degree.
- 2013 Professor and Head of the Department of General Neurology, University Hospital Muenster, Germany.
- 2010 Professor and Head of the Department for the Treatment of Inflammatory Nervous System Diseases and Neuro-Oncology, University Hospital Muenster, Germany.
- 2005 - 2010 Professor of Neurology, Head of the Group on Clinical Researches on Multiple Sclerosis and Neuroimmunology, Department of Neurology, University of Würzburg.
- 2004 Leader, Junior Research Group on Neuroimmunology, Interdisciplinary Clinical Research Center in Tuebingen, Germany.
- 2000 - 2004 Clinical and Research Fellow of the Hertie Brain Research Institute, Department of Neurology, University of Tuebingen.
- 1998- 2000 German Research Foundation Scholarship, Max Planck Institute of Neurobiology, Department of Neuroimmunology, Martinsried (Prof. Dr. med. H. Wekerle; Prof. Dr. med. R. Hohlfeld).
- 1997 - 1998 Research Fellow, Institute of Anatomy and Neuroanatomy II, University Erlangen-Nuremberg.
- 1996 - 1997 Residency Program, Department of Neurology, University Erlangen-Nuremberg.
Awards and Honors
- 2009 Heinrich Pett Prize of the German Society of Neurology.
- 2004 Sobek Award for research on multiple sclerosis (Young Scientists Award) of the German Multiple Sclerosis Association.
- 2003 Felix Jerusalem Prize of the German Society of Muscular Diseases.
- 2015 Editorial Board Member of the Neurotherapeutics Journal.
- 2015 Commission Member "Perspectives for the treatment of patients in Neurology" of the German Society of Neurology.
- 2014 Member of the Academy of Education and Training, Medical Association of Westphalia-Lippe.
- Board Member, Felgenhauer Foundation for Young Neuroscientists
- 2013 Executive Board Member and Chairman of the Neuromedicine Foundation, Muenster.
- 2013 Editorial Board Member of PLOS ONE.
- 2013 Principal Investigator of the Cells-in-Motion Cluster of Excellence (funded by the German Research Foundation and the German Council of Science and Humanities ).
- 2013 Dean, Responsible for Research Activities and Training of Young Scientists, Faculty of Medicine, University of Muenster.
- 2012 Co-Spokesperson of the Transregional Collaborative Research Center 128 "Multiple Sclerosis" (Rhein-Main, Muenster, Munich), funded by the German Research Foundation.
- 2012 Steering Committee Member of the Cells-in-Motion Cluster of Excellence, Muenster (funded by the German Research Foundation).
- 2012 Board Member of the Interdisciplinary Centre for Clinical Research, Muenster.
- 2011 Board Member of the German Society for Neurologists.
- 2009 Official Spokesman of the National German Competence Network of Multiple Sclerosis.
- 2010 Commission Member on Drugs of the German Medical Association.
- 2008, 2014 Coordinator: Therapeutic Recommendations of the German Society for Neurology (myositis, myasthenia).
- 2008 Review Committee Member of the Competence Cluster for Autoimmune Diseases, National Institutes of Health.
- 2008 Coordinator of the Task Force on Neurology.
- 2007, 2011 Executive Board Member of the German Multiple Sclerosis Society.
- 2007 Editorial Board Member of the Journal of Neuroinflammation.
- 2006 Editorial Board, International of the Journal of Clinical Practice.
- 2004 Scientific Advisory Committee on HLA-G International Conferences.
- 2003 Scientific Advisory Committee of the German Society for Muscular Diseases.
- 2002 Member of the Medical Council of the German Society for Multiple Sclerosis.
- 2001, 2012, 2014 Member of the Multiple Sclerosis Therapy Consensus Group (MSTCG).
Photo of the doctor: (c) Universitätsklinikum Münster