Diagnosing oncology includes laboratory tests, US scans, MRI, CT scans, and biopsy.
The cost of treatment depends on the diagnosis and medical program. For instance, the price for chemotherapy is about €2,265.
In Germany, cancer is treated with open and endoscopic surgeries, chemotherapy, external and internal radiation therapy, Gamma Knife and Cyberknife, targeted drugs, immunotherapy, CAR T-cell therapy, etc.
The best hospitals for cancer treatment in Germany are:
- University Hospital Rechts der Isar Munich
- University Hospital of Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich
- Helios Hospital Berlin-Buch
- University Hospital Frankfurt am Main
- Clinic of Advanced Biological Medicine Frankfurt am Main
Oncology is one of the most high-tech branches of medicine. The Effectiveness of cancer treatment depends mainly on the technical capabilities of the hospital, the experience and qualification of doctors. Therefore, the results of cancer therapy are significantly different in particular countries.
Many people prefer to receive cancer treatment in Germany. There they receive high-level medical care. The treatment techniques that are used in German hospitals allow the patient to completely recover from cancer or significantly increase life expectancy.
- Methods of cancer treatment in Germany
- Treatment of cancer in Germany
- The best hospitals for cancer treatment in Germany
- Organization of the cancer treatment in Germany
Methods of cancer treatment in Germany
There is a large number of various oncological diseases. Different techniques are used for their treatment. There are three main techniques:
- surgical cancer treatment options,
- radiation therapy,
In the treatment of oncology in Germany, different techniques play different roles. In treating many types of cancer, the primary method is surgery since it is important to carry out the physical removal of the tumor. However, in some cases, other methods are the main ones. For example, in leukemia (blood cancer), chemotherapy remains the leading treatment technique. In the case of brain cancer, radiation therapy may be the main method.
- Photodynamic therapy is the injection of sensitizers into the body followed by irradiation with light beams of a certain wavelength.
- Targeted therapy is the prescription of monoclonal antibodies, checkpoint inhibitors, angiogenesis inhibitors and other groups of drugs.
- Immunotherapy is the use of a person's immunity resources in the fight against the tumor.
- Radionuclide therapy is the injection of therapeutic radioactive substances into the body. They are accumulated in the tumor cells and then destroy these cells.
- Radiosurgery is the removal of oncological formations in one session with accurately directed large doses of radiation.
- Vascular embolization is a procedure that disrupts the blood supply of a tumor; as a result, cancer cells die.
- Hormone therapy is used in cancer of the reproductive system.
Treatment of cancer in Germany
Many patients strive to go to Germany for the treatment of cancer because medicine is well developed in this country. The high-tech operations, the newest types of radiation therapy, and modern drugs are used here. Innovative cancer therapies are constantly being implemented into clinical practice in Germany.
The following techniques are used in this country:
- Minimally invasive surgical interventions in malignant oncologic formations at the early stages. For example, video-assisted thoracic surgery without thoracotomy is used here for lung cancer. Bowel cancer can be removed with access through the rectum. Many operations are performed using laparoscopic access (through minimal incisions in the abdominal wall).
- Robot-assisted surgeries are carried out with the participation of a robotic system which a surgeon manages. Such interventions are safer. The human factor is completely excluded, the blood loss is reduced, and there is no risk of infection.
- Oncoplastic surgeries in breast cancer allow not only to remove the tumor but also to restore the attractive appearance of the female breast.
- Bronchoplastic operations at the advanced stages of lung cancer make it possible to remove large tumors and preserve the areas of functional lung parenchyma.
- Intraoperative fluorescence diagnostics. During the operation, the specific substances are injected. They stain the tumor tissues making them visible to the surgeon. This allows the doctor to completely remove the tumor and avoid a relapse.
In Germany, the latest radiation therapy methods are used to treat cancer. They ensure accurate targeting, increasing the radiation dose for a tumor and reducing the irradiation for healthy tissues.
New chemotherapy regimens are applied. Hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy is used for the treatment of bowel cancer when the abdominal cavity is washed with a heated chemotherapy solution in order to destroy micrometastases.
In Germany, radionuclide therapy is used in certain types of cancer. It is widely used in metastatic prostate cancer. Being injected into the body, radiopharmaceuticals are accumulated in cancer cells. They can destroy the tumor areas, regardless of their location in the human body.
The best hospitals for cancer treatment in Germany
For the treatment of oncology in Germany, the patients usually contact the large university hospitals. The choice must be made according to the type of cancer because different medical institutions have succeeded in treating various oncopathologies.
Here are some of the best hospitals in Germany where high-quality treatment for patients with cancer can be provided:
- Charite University Hospital (Berlin).
- University Hospital Carl Gustav Carus (Dresden).
- Academic Hospital Neuperlach Munich.
- University Hospital Hamburg-Eppendorf.
- University Hospital of Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich.
Organization of the cancer treatment in Germany
To undergo cancer treatment in Germany without any difficulties, you may use the services of the company Booking Health. We will select the right hospital for you and reduce the cost of treatment. Thanks to modern treatment methods, you can get rid of cancer forever or forget about it for many years.
The advantages of the cooperation with Booking Health are:
- We will choose the best hospital, which has achieved the greatest success in treating certain oncological diseases according to the statistics of the medical facilities.
- The cost of treatment will be lower, up to 50%, due to avoiding overpricing for foreign patients.
- We will help prepare a medical program taking into account your previous examinations to not perform them again.
- We will establish communication with your doctor.
- We will make an appointment at a convenient date for you.
- We will help to control the cancer therapy program at all its stages.
- We will establish communication with the hospital after the program completion.
- We will control the invoices and ensure the return of all unspent funds.
- We will help you to buy and forward medicines.
Booking Health will provide a comfortable treatment of cancer in Germany. Our services include assistance in preparing documents for a trip abroad, booking hotels and plane tickets. We will provide you with an interpreter. Our employee will meet you at the airport and take you to the hospital by car when you arrive in Germany. After the treatment, a return transfer will be provided.
The article was edited by medical experts, board-certified doctors Dr. Nadezhda Ivanisova and Dr. Sergey Pashchenko. For the treatment of the conditions referred to in the article, you must consult a doctor; the information in the article is not intended for self-medication!
National Cancer Institute
European Society for Medical Oncology