Diagnosis of mediastinal tumor (program ID: 137551)
University Hospital Muenster
Sven MartensSpecialized in: cardiac surgery, adult and pediatric thoracic surgery
Department of Cardiac Surgery, Adult and Pediatric Thoracic Surgery
- Initial presentation in the clinic
- clinical history taking
- review of medical records
- physical examination
- laboratory tests:
- complete blood count
- inflammation indicators (CRP, ESR)
- indicators of blood coagulation
- tumor markers
- blood gas analysis
- chest x-ray
- electrocardiogram (ECG)
- echocardiography (ECHO)
- high-resolution computed tomography (HRCT)
- pulmonary function test
- biopsy of tumor with histological examination (on indication 2500 €)
- nursing services
- consultation of related specialists
- consultation of the chief physician and all leading experts
- development of individual treatment plan
- written statement
You may also book
About the department
According to the Focus magazine, the Department of Cardiac Surgery, Adult and Pediatric Thoracic Surgery at the University Hospital Muenster ranks among the top German medical facilities specializing in cardiac surgery!
The department offers the full range of surgical treatment of diseases of the heart, lungs, thoracic organs, mediastinum and diaphragm, including heart and lung transplantation. With appropriate indications, the operations are performed using sparing minimally invasive techniques. The department's surgeons perform more than 3,000 surgical interventions annually, 200 of them using a heart-lung machine. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Sven Martens.
All heart surgeries are carried out in accordance with the very latest standards and with the use of advanced surgical technologies. Obviously, before the operation, the patient undergoes a comprehensive diagnostics, during which the necessary specialists in cardiology, including external partners, may be involved.
Particularly important attention in cardiac surgery is given to the protection of the brain, which is facilitated by the use of modern monitoring systems. The heart valve diseases may be treated with the use of innovative reconstructive techniques, which allow to preserve the valve. Coronary artery bypass grafting is carried out with or without heart-lung machine, but the preference is given to interventions on the beating heart.
Also, the department's surgeons widely apply sparing minimally invasive techniques, which are characterized by low trauma and speedy patient recovery. The department's specialists have a unique experience in the treatment of heart tumors. The service range is complemented by heart transplantation, which is performed in the lack of positive dynamics from conservative treatment of heart failure. The decision on heart transplantation is preceded by numerous consultations with the patient and his relatives, extensive diagnostics.
In the field of thoracic surgery, of particular interest is the treatment of lung cancer and the removal of lung metastases. As part of the Comprehensive Cancer Center Muenster, the department has all the effective diagnostic and therapeutic techniques in order to ensure the best treatment outcome of oncopathology. The department's doctors also specialize in lung transplantation. In addition, the thoracic surgeons of the department have extensive experience in thoracic surgery in children of different age groups.
The department’s clinical focuses include:
- Heart surgery
- Surgical treatment of heart valve diseases, including reconstructive interventions with valve preservation
- Coronary artery bypass grafting (with and without heart-lung machine)
- Minimally invasive heart surgery
- Treatment of heart tumors
- Surgical treatment of chronic heart failure (up to heart transplantation)
- Implantation of mechanical circulatory support systems (ECLS, LVAD), including artificial heart implantation
- Implantation of pacemakers and defibrillators
- Adult and pediatric thoracic surgery
- Surgical treatment of lung, mediastinal and other thoracic tumors
- Removal of lung metastases
- Treatment of aortic aneurysm
- Lung transplantation
- Other medical services
In November 2011, Prof. Dr. med. Sven Martens held the position of the Head of the Department of Cardiac Surgery, Adult and Pediatric Thoracic Surgery at the University Hospital Muenster. Previously, the doctor held the position of the Deputy Head and Leading Senior Physician in the Department of Cardiac Surgery at the University Hospital Frankfurt. The areas of specialization of Dr. Martens in surgery include minimally invasive heart valve surgery, including valve preservation, coronary artery bypass grafting, also on the beating heart. The research is mainly devoted to the search for new treatment methods aimed at the reduction of the potential load on the body and brain in elderly patients during complex heart surgeries.