Myelomaeningocele treatment by plastic surgical repair of the dura (program ID: 134711)
University Hospital Muenster
Walter StummerSpecialized in: neurosurgery
Department of Neurosurgery
The program includes:
- Initial presentation in the clinic
- clinical history taking
- review of medical records
- physical examination
- laboratory tests:
- complete blood count
- general urine analysis
- biochemical analysis of blood
- inflammation indicators (CRP, ESR)
- indicators blood coagulation
- neurological examination
- functionality x-ray
- CT/MRI scan
- neuropsychological tests (on indications):
- ENMG (electroneuromyography)
- EEG (electroencephalography)
- SEPs (somatosensory evoked potentials)
- VEPs (visually evoked potentials)
- BAEP tests (brainstem auditory evoked potential)
- preoperative care
- plastic closure of the dura defect
- histologically and immunohistochemically
examination of the remote tissues
- postoperative MRI control
- symptomatic treatment
- control examinations
- the cost of essential medicines and materials
- nursing services
- full hospital accommodation
- developing of further guidance
- Medical records
- X-ray examination, MRI/CT scan (if available)
You may also book:
About the department
147 Booking Health patients have already received treatment in the Department of Neurosurgery at the University Hospital Muenster.
99% of patients recommend this hospital and department.
You can read reviews about the quality of the Booking Health service here.
According to the Focus magazine, the Department of Neurosurgery at the University Hospital Muenster ranks among the top German departments specializing in the treatment of brain tumors!
The department offers the full range of diagnostics and surgical treatment of diseases of the central and peripheral nervous system. The department specializes in the treatment of injuries, tumors and malformations of the skull, brain, spinal cord and nerves, vascular anomalies, spinal nerve root compression syndromes, etc. The department also has advanced experience in the treatment of pain syndromes, epilepsy and motor disorders. The medical services are distinguished by the highest quality, confirmed by the internationally recognized certificates.The department is headed by Prof. Prof. h.c. Dr. med. Walter Stummer.
One of the department's key focuses is brain tumor surgery. The team has special competence in the treatment of gliomas (for example, glioblastomas, anaplastic gliomas, low-grade gliomas) and skull base tumors (for example, acoustic neuromas, chordomas, chondromas, meningiomas). The department has all the modern options and recent medical advances to treat tumors, for example, fluorescence-guided tumor resection using 5-aminolevulinic acid (5-ALA), brain tumor surgery under local anesthesia, intraoperative functional monitoring, the use of Cavitation Ultrasound Surgical Aspirator (CUSA), etc.
Another important focus is spinal surgery. The department offers the full range of diagnostics and treatment of spinal diseases, in particular, degenerative diseases and diseases of the spine and spinal cord caused by cancer. To ensure the optimal treatment results, there is maintained close cooperation with other specialties of the university hospital.
To prescribe the best, customized treatment program for each patient, the department's specialists discuss all the clinical cases within the interdisciplinary tumor boards. When choosing a treatment method, the most important is a care for the patient's health. To this end, the department offers the full range of diagnostics and treatment at the highest scientific level using minimally invasive techniques and the very latest technologies.
The diagnostic and therapeutic range of the department includes:
Surgery for benign and malignant brain tumors, brain meninges and metastases
Diagnostics of the volumetric processes in the brain using stereotactic biopsy
Skull base surgery
|Nerve surgery and pain therapy|
|Trigeminal neuralgia and hemifacial spasm|
|Other options of diagnostics and surgical treatment of diseases of the central and peripheral nervous system|
Education and Professional Experience
- 1984 - 1991 Medical School, Ludwig Maximilian University, Munich.
- 1988 - 1990 Doctoral thesis defense, Institute for Surgical Research, Grosshadern Hospital, Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich. Subject: "Cerebral protection by locomotor activities in gerbil forebrain ischemia"; summa cum laude.
- 04.1991 Graduation from School of Medicine.
- 04.1991 - 11.1992 Junior Resident, Department of Neurosurgery, Grosshadern Hospital, Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich, Germany.
- 11.1992 - 12.1993 Postdoctoral Scholarship, Crosby Neurosurgical Laboratories, Medical Center at the University of Michigan, Section of Neurosurgery.
- December 1993 - November 2000 Resident, Department of Neurosurgery, Grosshadern Hospital, Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich, Germany.
- 14.11.2000 Board Examination in Neurosurgery.
- 11.2000 - 10.2001 Instructor, Department of Neurosurgery, Munich, Germany.
- 10.2001 - 03.2003 Attending Physician, Department of Neurosurgery, Munich, Germany.
- 20.11.2001 Habilitation.
- 11.2003 Deputy Head, Department of Neurosurgery, University of Duesseldorf.
- 18.10.2007 Appointment as a Professor, Heinrich Heine University Duesseldorf.
- 1.10.2009 Head of the Department of Neurosurgery at the University Hospital Muenster.
Membership in Professional Societies
- 2000 Member of the German Society of Neurosurgery.
- 2003 Member of NCAFW.
- 11.2003 - 2009 Speaker, Section of Neuro-Oncology, German Society of Neurosurgery. .
- 2009 - 2011 Vice-Speaker of the Working Committee on Neuro-Oncology of the German Cancer Society.
- Since 2011 Group Member of the European Organisation for Research and Treatment of Cancer.
- 2011 - 2014 Speaker of the Working Committee on Neuro-Oncology of the German Cancer Society.
- 2011 Appointment in the German Academy of Neurosurgery.
- 2014 Appointed as a Deputy Head of the German Society of Neurosurgery.
- 2016 Appointed as a President of the German Society of Neurosurgery.
Review Activities (selected)
- Since 2003 Acta Neurochirurgica.
- Since 2005 Zentralblatt Neurochirurgie.
- Since 2007 Swiss Medical Weekly.
- Since 2007 Neuroimage.
- Since 2007 Lasers in Surgery & Medicine.
- Since 2008 J Neurooncology.
- Since 2009 Neurooncology.
- Since 2010 Neurosurgery.
- Since 2010 Journal of Neurosurgery, Neurology and Psychiatry.
- Since 2011 Journal of Neurosurgery.
Activities in Editorial Boards
- Since 2009 Editorial Board Member, Photodiagnosis and Photodynamic Therapy.
- Since 2012 Editorial Board Member, Neurochirurgie Scan.
- Since 2013 Editorial Board Member, Neurooncology.
Awards and Honours
- American Association of Neurosurgery / Congress of Neurosurgeons, Joint Tumor Section.
- 1999 Young Clinical Investigator Award presented at the 59th annual meeting of the American Association of Neurological Surgeons, New Orleans.
- 1999 Grosshadern Research Award: First Prize for the presentation "Fluorescence-guided detection of malignant gliomas using 5-ALA-induced prophyrins – experience in 66 consecutive patients", presented at the Grosshadern Research Festival.
- 2002 Tönnis Scholarship awarded at the 53rd Annual Meeting of the German Society of Neurosurgery, Halle.
- 2005 American Association of Neurosurgery / Congress of Neurosurgeons, Joint Tumor Section.
- Journal of Neuro-Oncology presented at the 65th Annual Meeting of the American Association of Neurological Surgeons, New Orleans.
- 2005 Young Neurosurgeon’s Award of the World Federation of Neurosurgery presented at the XIII International Congress of Neurological Surgery, Marrakesh.
- 2005 Honorary Professor, Harbin Medical University, China.
- 2006 Sybille Assmus Research Prize awarded at the Annual Meeting of the Working Group on Neuro-Oncology of the German Cancer Society.
- 12.11.2007 Focus List of Top Oncologists. Nr. 46.
- 2008 Visiting Professor, Department of Neurosurgery, Medical School, University of Dartmouth, Dartmouth, MA, USA.
- 2006 Corresponding Member, Sociedad de Neurocirugía de Levante, Spain.
- 2010 Michael Gruson Memorial Lecturer in Neuro-Oncology, Weill Cornell Medical College New York.
- 2011 Lecturer of the Finnish Society of Neurosurgery.
- 08.2017 Focus List of Top Oncologists.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Universitätsklinikum Münster
Accommodation in hospital
- Program [Description]
Myelomaeningocele treatment by plastic surgical repair of the dura
- Hospital: University Hospital Muenster
There are 65 myelomaeningocele treatment hospitals on Booking Health websiteShow all clinics