Transurethral electroresection is a prostate surgery, that is all about the removal of hyperplastic prostate tissue using a loop-shaped high-frequency electrode. With the help of transurethral electroresection of the prostate in most cases, benign prostatic hyperplasia is treated.
Treatment of prostate cancer with transurethral prostate electroresection
Transurethral electroresection of the prostate is an intervention that is performed to quickly remove the overgrown tissue of the organ. As a rule, medical treatment is performed for a benign prostate neoplasms. At the moment, the technique is rightfully considered the "gold standard" of treatment. This is because in most cases, after the operation, the neoplasm disappears forever. Besides, the intervention is minimally invasive, has a short rehabilitation period, a minimum number of contraindications and side effects. After the surgery, patients recover quickly and can return to their everyday life in about few days. In the future, they has no limitations in physical and sexual activity.
Indications for transurethral electroresection
Prostate transurethral electroresection is performed in the following pathological health conditions in the patient:
- Urinary incontinence
- Large volume (about 50 cc) of residual (retained in the bladder after urination) urine
- Frequent urination at night
- Urinary obstruction that makes it difficult to urinate due to narrowing of the bladder neck or ureteral lumen
- Painful urge to urinate
- Frequent urge to urinate
Transurethral electroresection is often indicated for patients who regularly suffer from infections of the genitourinary system. Medical treatment is also carried out in case of suspicion of malignant transformation of prostate tissue. In this case, it is possible to save the organ only with early diagnosis and the general satisfactory state of health of the man. The doctor determines if medical treatment is required in a specific health condition. Even though transurethral electroresection is widely used in urology, it is not suitable for everyone. In some cases, other techniques are used (including pharmacotherapy).
How is transurethral electroresection carried out?
Usually, the operation is performed under the spinal anesthesia. The duration of the operation is from 20 to 60 minutes. Hospitalization period is 2 or 3 days. Most patients should use a urinary catheter for about 1 or 2 days.
The procedure sometimes causes significant bleeding. In addition, the flushing fluid used during the surgery can be absorbed into the bloodstream, causing electrolyte disturbances and circulatory problems. However, these health complications are very rare.
After the transurethral electroresection, a patient may feel an urgent need to urinate (compulsive incontinence) if the bladder is active. Transurethral electroresection surgery causes ejaculation disorders, retrograde ejaculation, but does not cause erectile dysfunction.
At the time of discharge from the hospital, urination is not always normal. Frequent urination and discomfort during urination can last for many months. Hematuria can last for a month. Light physical activity, such as walking, is allowed immediately after surgery. Patients should avoid heavy physical training for over a month. The length of sick leave, depending on the profession, is from 1 to 3 weeks.
Benefits of transurethral electroresection
The main advantage of transurethral electroresection is that the intervention is minimally invasive. It is performed without tissue incisions.
Thereby the procedure is characterized by:
- Reduced risk of infection
- Reduced rehabilitation period
- Risks of complications are virtually eliminated
Transurethral electroresection of adenoma is performed without opening the bladder cavity. The integrity of the organ guarantees a quick restoration of the urination process. While after open surgery the catheter is removed only in a few weeks, after transurethral electroresection it is removed in a couple of days.
Transurethral electroresection is sometimes compared to laser removal of an organ. But these are completely different interventions. With laser action, an organ is exposed to heat. This delays restoration of the urination process, for example. Besides, during laser surgery, the specialist cannot simultaneously take material for histology (biopsy). For this reason, the asymptomatic stage of cancer development can be missed, which will significantly complicate its further treatment.
Advantages of transurethral electroresection
The surgery helps to get rid of urinary problems in a short time period. After the transurethral electroresection surgery, urine flow improves by 64%, the residual urine volume in the bladder decreases by 50%, pathological symptoms are effectively reduced (in more than 80% of patients, symptoms are alleviated by 73-75%), and there are no external lesions such as wounds.
The cost of transurethral electroresection for prostate cancer treatment
Nowadays there are advanced methods of treating prostate cancer at the initial stages, as well as ways to prolong life and improve its quality at its later stages. Unfortunately, not all methods of fighting prostate cancer are known or available to local doctors. Therefore, many patients are forced to seek treatment abroad.
With Booking Health services, you can book transurethral electroresection for prostate cancer at an affordable price. The cost of the procedure varies in different countries. We can arrange a trip for radical prostatectomy at a fair price. The cost of transurethral electroresection for prostate cancer goes as follows:
- Germany – from 8,000 EUR
- Turkey – from 7,400 EUR
- India – from 6,800 EUR
Where can I undergo transurethral electroresection?
In the case of prostate cancer, it should be emphasized that the clinic should have all the advanced methods of modern diagnostics of the disease and offer the maximum of medical treatment options, both conservative and surgical ones.
Foreign certified hospitals that offer foreign patients efficient prostate cancer treatment are:
1. University Hospital of Ludwig Maximillian University of Munich, Department of Adult and Pediatric Urology. The department ranks among the TOP German departments specializing in prostate cancer treatment. It is certified as the Prostate Cancer Center according to the standards of the German Cancer Society. This fact confirms the credibility of the department in the field and the high success rates in prostate cancer treatment.
2. Medipol Mega University Hospital Istanbul, Department of Adult and Pediatric Urology. The department offers a full range of diagnostics and treatments of genitourinary diseases in boys and men. Particular attention is paid to the surgical treatment of prostate cancer.
3. University Hospital Ulm, Department of Adult and Pediatric Urology. The department ranks among the TOP German medical facilities specializing in prostate cancer treatment. The department is also certified by the German Cancer Society, therefore all the therapeutic measures correspond to strict national and international standards.
How can I undergo transurethral electroresection treatment abroad?
The self-organization of transurethral electroresection treatment abroad can be a little bit too much. It reasonably requires specific knowledge and experience in medical tourism. It is safer, easier, and less stressful to shift some responsibility onto a medical tourism agency.
Booking Health is the largest and most transparent medical tourism agency in the world. Medical treatment abroad is arranged due to the direct cooperation with leading foreign hospitals.
Booking Health provides the following services:
- Selection of treatment therapy program and medical facility
- Communication with the clinic
- Providing the overall information on cost of transurethral electroresection procedure
- Translation of medical documents
- Help in applying for a visa for the patient and accompanying person
- Flight and accommodation booking
- Interpreting services
To undergo prostate cancer treatment abroad for a reasonable price, please leave a request on our website. The medical tourism manager will contact you within a few hours and provide you with all information necessary.