Natural childbirth (program ID: 80955)
University Hospital Duesseldorf
Tanja FehmSpecialized in: adult and pediatric gynecology, obstetrics, mammology
Department of Adult and Pediatric Gynecology, Obstetrics and Mammology
For 2 weeks before birth:
- Initial presentation in the clinic
- clinical history taking
- physical examination
- review of medical records
- laboratory tests:
- complete blood count
- biochemical analysis of blood
- indicators of inflammation (CRP, ESR)
- indicators blood coagulation
- pelvic ultrasound
- gynecological examination:
- transvaginal ultrasound
- scraping with subsequent analysis
- fetal examination:
- 4 D sonography
- determine fetal position before delivery
- nursing services
- observation by chief physician and all leading experts
- maintaining an obstetrician until birth
Day of birth
- gynecological examination
- fetal examination
- childbirth natural
- symptomatic treatment
- control examinations
- the cost of essential medicines and materials
- nursing services
- full hospital accommodation
- explanation of future recommendations
- maintaining an obstetrician after birth
- examination during the postnatal period (during the first three weeks)
- control gynecological examinations during the postnatal period
- the first pediatric examination of the newborn
You may also book
About the department
According to the Focus magazine rating, the Department of Adult and Pediatric Gynecology, Obstetrics and Mammology at the University Hospital Duesseldorf ranks among the top German departments specializing in breast cancer treatment!
The department offers the full range of services in these medical fields. In the field of gynecology, it provides the diagnostics and treatment of all pathologies of the female reproductive system, including the gynecological problems in girls aged from 0 to 18 years. The department's obstetricians provide quality care for expectant mothers before, during and after pregnancy. The department's scope of activities also includes the management of high-risk pregnancies. The key focus of clinical activities is the treatment of oncological diseases of the female genital organs, including breast cancer. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Tanja Fehm. She is a highly qualified world-class specialist and is regularly included in the ranking of the top German doctors according to the prestigious medical journal Focus!
For her outstanding achievements in the treatment of oncological diseases of the female genital organs and mammary gland, the department is certified by the German Cancer Society and also has a ClarCert DIN EN ISO 9001: 20015 certificate, which indicates the highest standards of medical care.
The process of cancer treatment begins with a comprehensive examination, which allows to determine the type of disease, its stage, precise localization, etc. Then the diagnostic results are discussed at an interdisciplinary tumor board, within which a customized treatment plan is developed. In many cases, doctors manage to avoid extensive and traumatic surgical interventions, since the surgeons of the department are fluent in minimally invasive techniques, by using which the tumor is removed through several small incisions. In addition, if desired, the patients of the departments can take part in clinical trials of innovative drugs that are not yet available for most patients. A necessary aspect of therapy is the help of qualified psychologists.
Another priority of clinical activities is mammology. The specialists in this field provide a comprehensive counseling, diagnostics and treatment of all benign and malignant breast diseases. Breast cancer treatment is carried out in interdisciplinary collaboration with all the necessary experts from the related fields. If possible, sparing treatments are used, but in the progressive stages, surgeons still have to resort to radical surgical interventions. In such cases, patients are offered modern reconstructive and cosmetic procedures for breast reconstruction.
The department also provides high-quality prenatal diagnostics, professional management of pregnancy, including high-risk pregnancy, as well as first-class obstetric services and postnatal care for both mother and baby. In case of the development of any complications in either mother or child, for example, premature birth, birth defects in the infant, emergency conditions, a specially trained team of specialists will provide the necessary medical care. The future mothers are offered four cozy delivery rooms equipped with modern delivery beds, delivery chairs, exercise balls and baths for water childbirth. The department also offers various methods of anesthesia, for example, acupuncture, homeopathy and aromatherapy before and during childbirth, epidural anesthesia.
The main clinical focuses of the department include:
- Adult gynecology
- Diagnosis and treatment of gynecologic cancers
- Cervical cancer
- Uterine cancer
- Vulvar cancer
- Ovarian cancer
- Diagnosis and treatment of precancerous conditions (for example, cervical dysplasia)
- Diagnosis and treatment of uterine fibroids
- Diagnosis and treatment of endometriosis
- Diagnosis and treatment of urinary incontinence
- Diagnosis and treatment of pelvic organ prolapse
- Diagnosis and treatment of infectious, inflammatory gynecological diseases
- Diagnosis and treatment of infertility
- Psycho-oncological care
- Social services and self-help groups
- Diagnosis and treatment of gynecologic cancers
- Pediatric gynecology
- Ovarian cysts
- Recurrent genital infections (for example, accompanied by itching and discharge)
- Pathological changes in the genital lips (for example, lichen sclerosus)
- Labial fusion
- Circulatory disorders
- Premature puberty
- Delayed puberty
- Disorders of sexual differentiation
- Help in suspected sexual abuse
- Mammology (diagnostics and treatment of breast cancer, benign diseases)
- Ultrasound mammography
- 3D sonography
- Magnetic resonance imaging
- Ultrasound- or MRI-guided biopsy
- Surgical treatment
- Radiotherapy (including intraoperative radiotherapy)
- Clinical trials
- Follow-up care and monitoring
- Prenatal diagnostics
- Comprehensive prenatal ultrasound diagnostics (DEGUM II)
- 3D/4D ultrasound examinations
- Invasive diagnostics (for example, amniotic fluid test)
- Genetic testing and counseling
- Management of high-risk pregnancy (for example, in gestosis, diabetes mellitus, autoimmune diseases, multiple pregnancies)
- Examination of the fallopian tube patency (in fertility treatment)
- Delivery (also water birth)
- Pain relief before and during childbirth (acupuncture, homeopathy, aromatherapy, epidural anesthesia)
- Postpartum care for both mother and baby
- Courses for expectant mothers, newborn care courses
- Prenatal diagnostics
- Other medical services
- 1990 - 1997 Study of Human Medicine at the Friedrich-Alexander University Erlangen.
- 1998 Doctoral Degree.
- 1998 - 1999 Intern, Department of Gynecology, University Hospital Erlangen.
- 1999 - 2001 Research Fellow at the Cancer Immunobiology Center, UT Southwestern Medical School, Dallas, Texas, USA.
- 2001 Appointed as an Associate Professor at the Cancer Immunobiology Center, UT Southwestern Medical School, Dallas, Texas, USA.
- 2002 Assistant Physician, Department of Gynecology, University Hospital Erlangen.
- 2002 - 2005 Training for a Medical Specialist, Department of Gynecology, University Hospital Tuebingen.
- 2005 Habilitation in Gynecologic Oncology.
- 2005 Appointed as a Senior Physician, Clinical Manager at the Section of Translational Gynecology at the Department of Gynecology, University Hospital Tuebingen.
- 2006 Visiting Professor, Prof. Dr. med. G. Sledge, Breast Cancer Research Center, University of Indianapolis, Indiana, USA.
- 2006 Additional qualification in the field of "drug therapy for tumors".
- 2007 Visiting Professor, Prof. Dr. M. Cristofanilli, Breast Cancer Center, Houston, USA.
- 2009 - 2012 Leading Senior Physician, Gynecologic Oncology.
- 2009 Additional qualification in Palliative Care.
- 2010 Specialization in Gynecologic Oncology.
- 2011 Executive Board Member of the Comprehensive Cancer Center Tuebingen.
- 2012 Visiting Professor at the Gynecology Center, University College, London Hospital, London, England (Prof. Widschwendter), as well as at the Galaxy Care Laparoscopy Institute, Pune, India (Dr. Puntambekar).
- 2012 Specialization in Special Obstetrics and Perinatal Medicine.
- 2012 Invitation to the position of W3 Professor in Gynecology and Obstetrics, Department of Gynecology, University Hospital of Würzburg, as well as an invitation to the position of W3 Professor in Gynecology and Obstetrics, Department of Gynecology, University Hospital Duesseldorf.
- 2012 Elected as a Representative of the Association of Gynecologic Oncology (AGO e.V.).
- 2013 Head of the Department of Adult and Pediatric Gynecology, Obstetrics and Mammology at the University Hospital Duesseldorf.
- Representative of the Association of Gynecologic Oncology (AGO).
- Representative of the Translational Research Section of the Association of Gynecologic Oncology (AGO).
- Member of the Research Group on the Study of the Ovaries and Breast (Studienleitgruppe Ovar und Mamma).
- Active Member of the Mammology Section at the Association of Gynecologic Oncology (AGO).
- Member of the Research Committee of the German Society of Gynaecology and Obstetrics (DGGG).
- Editorial Board Member of Onkologie and Senologie Journals.
- Curator of the German Society of Gynaecology and Obstetrics (DGGG).
- Advisory Board Member of the Comprehensive Cancer Center Tuebingen.
- 2002 Poster Prize (Posterpreis) of the German Cancer Society.
- 2002 and 2004 Merit Award of the American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO).
- 2005 Teaching Award in Gynecologic Oncology.
- 2006 2nd Scientific Prize of the Society of Senology.
- 2009 Annual Scientific Busenfreund Prize of the Mammazone Association e.V.
- 2011 Poster Prize (Posterpreis) in Senology.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Universitätsklinikum Düsseldorf