Turkey is among the world leaders in the growth rate of medical tourism. Previously, this country was mainly visited by people who wanted to relax in sea resorts and explore local attractions. But today, more and more people travel to Turkey in search of quality medical care. Over the past 4 years, the number of foreign patients in Turkish hospitals has increased 4 times. It already exceeds 1 million people a year.
Price and quality
By the number of medical tourists, Turkey ranks among the top five most visited countries in the world. The country's government is not going to stop there, and by 2023 Turkish hospitals plan to receive more than 2 million patients. This has been made possible thanks to the perfect price-quality ratio. Turkish hospitals offer competitive costs, but the level of medical care here is the same as in the leading countries of the world. That is why there are so many patients from Western Europe, the USA and developed countries of Asia.
Turkish government abolished VAT for medical tourists. As a result, the financial costs of foreign patients, which occur in the hospitals certified by the Turkish Ministry of Health, have been significantly reduced.
However, the prices are not the only thing that attracts medical tourists. The level of development of medicine in Turkey is very high, and therefore patients from the Balkan states and the former Soviet Union come here in search of new treatment methods that are not available at home.
More than fifty Turkish hospitals are accredited by JCI, which is the most prestigious international organization that assesses the quality of medical care. According to the number of accredited clinics, the country ranks first in Europe and second in the world.
What patients prefer to treat in Turkey?
About 40% of patients travel to Turkey for cancer treatment. The hospitals of this country apply European standards for the provision of medical care in the field of oncology. The medical facilities have state-of-the-art equipment and use modern treatment methods. In Turkey, the doctors perform endoscopic and robot-assisted surgery, use Gamma Knife and radionuclide medicine.
Other popular destinations for medical tourism in Turkey include:
- Neurosurgery. Turkish hospitals employ more than 1,200 neurosurgeons. In the hospitals of this country, they remove brain tumors, eliminate the effects of traumatic brain injuries and strokes, treat epilepsy, Parkinson's disease, spinal hernias and many other diseases using surgery.
- Hematology. More than 3 thousand stem cell transplants are performed in the country every year. Turkish specialists successfully treat acute leukemia in children and adults, myeloma and other severe oncohematological diseases.
- Plastic surgery. About 10% of foreign patients visit Turkish hospitals to improve their appearance. The clinics in Turkey offer breast augmentation, nose reshaping, face lift or tummy tuck. The prices are on average twice lower than in developed European countries.
- Hair transplant. It is one of the most popular procedures in Turkey. The hospitals here use FUE and DHI. Hair can be transplanted both manually and using robot-assisted systems. The doctors apply the very latest methods that ensure the natural density of hair and the absence of noticeable scars on the scalp. Some clinics provide you with a lifetime warranty for transplanted hair.
- Dentistry. People mostly go to Turkey to save on expensive procedures. The clinics offer surgical procedures on the dentoalveolar system, dental implantation, bite correction or veneer implantation.
- Ophthalmology. Turkish hospitals perform safe and effective operations to treat eye diseases. Some of them last only a few minutes, but allow to permanently get rid of myopia and astigmatism, cataracts and other pathologies.
- Reproductology. In Turkey, one can treat infertility and undergo IVF. The successful results of this procedure ranked the country among the European leaders.
What hospitals are the best to go?
The best clinics in Turkey are located in Istanbul and other major tourist centers. There are both public and private hospitals. The private hospitals are better equipped, as many of them are focused on foreign patients. Their share in some centers reaches 50-70%.
Gaziosmanpasa Hospital of Yeniyuzyil University. It is considered maximum care medical center. The hospital has a Gamma Knife device and a Da Vinci surgical system. This hospital successfully treats cancer, performs cardiac interventions, transplants internal organs. The great successes are achieved in the field of reproductology and plastic surgery.
Medical Park Gebze Hospital. It specializes in the treatment of infertility, oncohematological diseases, tumors, neurological pathologies. The hospital presents almost all medical specialties.
Memorial Antalya Hospital. The hospital is distinguished by the accurate diagnostics and state-of-the-art equipment. The hospital has 11 advanced operating rooms. The foreign patients often come to this hospital to treat children, and it can offer them ideal conditions for a hospital stay.
Medicana International Istanbul Hospital. The doctors of a medical facility perform complex operations to transplant internal organs, conduct IVF, treat cancer. The hospital has 8 operating rooms, as well as facilities for robot-assisted surgery.
Skin Health Turkey Istanbul. The medical facility deals with aesthetic medicine. The center employs surgeons with vast experience, therefore the operations are safe and the vast majority of patients are completely satisfied with the results. The clinic specializes in hair transplant, doctors perform complex operations to reshape nose and ears, ultrasonic liposuction, as well as use procedures to quickly heal postoperative wounds.
Acibadem Healthcare Group Istanbul. The hospital works in 5 countries. It has its in-house Stem Cell and Cord Blood Bank. It has one of the best laboratories in the world. The Acibadem Holding has a university, which serves to train doctors and to do research. The medical facility represents all medical specialties.
Dunyagoz Hospital Istanbul. It is the world's largest Eye Clinic. It operates about 100 patients every day. In a medical institution, patients can once and for all get rid of cataracts, glaucoma, myopia, astigmatism, strabismus and many other diseases.
Medipol Mega University Hospital Istanbul. It is oriented on foreign patients. The main medical fields of the hospital include surgery, oncology, dentistry, cardiology. Among all hospitals in Turkey, this one has most specialized departments.
Please use the services of Booking Health to go to one of the Turkish hospitals. We will help you find the best hospital for treating a particular disease, medical examination or surgery in Turkey. Due to the lack of additional coefficients for foreigners, the prices for you will be lower. We will take care of the organization of your trip. We will book airline tickets and a hotel room, meet you at the airport and deliver to the hospital by car.
Choose treatment abroad and you will for sure get the best results!
Author: Dr. Vadim Zhiliuk