Medical tourism is widespread in Germany. This country is attractive for patients from all over the world, because everyone can receive here medical care of the same quality and at the same price, as a German citizen. There is no need to wait for а treatment very long and the prices for healthcare services are more affordable than in other highly developed countries.
Benefits of treatment and diagnostics in Germany
Highly qualified doctors work in German clinics. The equipment of healthcare institutions is far ahead of other developed countries. German doctors use the latest techniques during the treatment of the patients, as a rule such techniques are not even available in other developing countries.
Other advantages of German medicine:
- Affordable prices
- Rapid medical care
- High quality of medical care
- High level of patient comfort
Main stages of the organization of treatment in Germany
Visit the online portal Booking Health
You should start making you choice from selection of the medical program, namely, diagnostic, treatment or rehabilitation. You can do it on the Booking Health website. Here you will find hundreds of German clinics and current prices of medical programs.
In order to make the right choice, you should consider the following aspects:
- Quality of medical care and services in the clinic
- Statistical rates regarding the treatment of a certain group of diseases
- Costs of а medical program
All the information on the Booking Health website is very simple. Even a person without medical education will easily understand the descriptions of the diseases and find the best specialists for the treatment. You can book a diagnostic or treatment program in the chosen clinic right here, online.
You can always send a free request to our doctors if you need any additional. Please, fill in the online application form on the website and our specialist will contact you the same day. You will discuss all the peculiarities of disease or important aspects of choosing the clinic. After that, our specialist will help you to select the optimal for price and quality medical program.
Perhaps, you will need to scan your medical documents in order to send them to Germany in the electronic form. A special medical document management system E-doc is used for this purpose. E-doc protects the confidentiality of your data and allows German doctors to study the information quickly and comfortably.
Elaboration of a preliminary diagnostic or treatment program
The Development of the individual diagnostic or treatment program begins from a doctor's consultation. During the communication the doctor determines a preliminary diagnosis and recommends the necessary examinations. But you should understand that such a diagnosis is not a final one. Concomitant diseases or peculiarities of the main pathology can be detected in the course of the careful examination. It will require additional diagnostic or therapeutic measures.
Solving other organizational issues
Germany is a member of the European Union, so citizens of the European Union don`t need visa for receiving help in German hospitals. Citizens of Switzerland, Norway, Iceland, and Liechtenstein have the same right, as well. In addition, citizens of the United States, Canada, Israel, Japan, Australia, and New Zealand also can enter Germany without visa and stay here up to three months. Usually such period of time is totally enough for the medical program completion.
One more option to avoid applying for visa, is visiting family members. Otherwise, you will need it. In most cases it is better to receive a Schengen visa. It allows you to stay in the country for 90 days for 6 months and go to the nearby countries.
Approximate list of the necessary for the embassy documents include the following:
- Application for the visa
- Check from payment of the visa fee
- Photo 3.5 by 4 cm
- Medical insurance
- Passport with a sufficient period of validity – 3 months and more after the end of the trip
- Photocopy of the citizen’s passport
- Accompanying person
An accompanying person needs all the same documents, as the patient does. It should be indicated in the invitation from the medical institution that the patient is going to come with a companion.
You can book a hotel for your relative or friend. Also, in most healthcare institutions it is possible to book an attendant’s place in one ward with the patient. Of course, if necessary, the employee of Booking Health will help you to book a hotel room in a walking distance from the clinic where the patient is going to receive a treatment.
While the patient is going through the recommended medical program, there are several ways to spend time with a benefit:
- To go on excursion. Groups can gather directly at the clinic’s reception.
- To have a walk around the city.
- To undergo a preventive examination (check-up).
A basic check-up in Germany takes only few hours. It allows you to reveal pathological processes at the early stages and, if necessary, to change the lifestyle or undergo treatment. If your companion wants to go through diagnostics, you should inform the coordinator of Booking Health in advance in order to book such a program.
- Flight and accommodation
Germany has good transport connections with many countries. Depending on the distance, one can travel here by car, by train or bus, and by airplane. Beyond all doubt, airlines will save your time most of all. Time of flight for example, to Berlin from some cities of the European Union is the following:
- Paris – 1 hour 50 minutes
- London – 2 hours
- Rim – 2 hours
- Riga – 1 hour 40 minutes
- Amsterdam – 1 hour 30 minutes
The help of the company Booking Health is not limited to sole medical issues. We will also help you with the following tasks:
- We will pick you up from the airport by car and take you to the hotel
- We will take you from the hotel to the clinic on the appointed day
- When the medical program is completed, we will take you back to the airport
- The interpreter
The company Booking Health provides all patients with qualified interpreters, who will accompany you in the clinic for easy communication with medical staff and the treating physician. We will also provide specialized translation of medical documentation from German into your native language.
- What should you take with you?
- The results of medical examinations, medical reports and other medical documents, which are necessary according to the opinion of Booking Health coordinator.
- Documents for traveling abroad, the invitation from clinic, the necessary amount of money, the confirmation of the hotel reservation.
- Medicines or medical devices. Perhaps, you are already receiving a treatment. In this case, you should not interrupt it until the doctors in Germany select a new therapy scheme for you.
- How much money should you take?
When planning the budget, you should focus on an average amount of 45 euros for each day of your stay in Germany. This will be quite enough for your trip. Besides, during inpatient programs you don’t need to pay for accommodation and meals additionally.
Prices in different cities of Germany:
- Average bill in the cafe is 10-20 euros
- Average bill in the restaurant is 25-35 euros
- Public transport fare is 3 euros
- Bus pass for a month is 80 euros
- Taxi services around the city is 10-25 euros
- Things to check before leaving the hospital
Carefully inspect the ward in order not to leave such things as:
- Your personal belongings
- Medical documents
- Personal documents
- Medical devices
- Airplane tickets
Please, be sure to check your tickets before departure. Pay special attention to the departure date and time.
Choose treatment abroad and you will for sure get the best results!
Author: Dr. Nadezhda Ivanisova