About the disease
Erectile dysfunction, also known as impotence, is a disease, when a man loses erection prematurely or does not have it altogether. This disease can be temporary, but in case it is an ongoing issue you need to undergo treatment in order to have children in future and avoid problems in relationships. If not treated, erectile dysfunction can result in heart problems in future.
In some cases erectile dysfunction is accompanied by diabetes and other hormonal diseases. It is usually caused emotional or cerebral dysfunction. Sometimes high level of cholesterol in blood, obesity and alcoholism can also contribute to development of erectile dysfunction. It can also develop because of sedentary lifestyle and bad dietary habits.
According to the Massachusetts Male Aging Study, nowadays around 40% of males have short-term erectile dysfunction at some point in their forties and 50% in their fifties. Long-term erectile dysfunction is present in 5% of forty-something men and in 15-25% of men older than 65.
- Decreased sexual desire
- Constant trouble of getting or keeping an erection
- Ejaculatory dysfunction
- Heart problems
- High blood pressure
- Fatigue after minor physical exertions
- Physical test includes examination of penis and testicles to determine if there are problems with nerve endings and its sensations.
- Blood test needs to be done to see if erectile dysfunction is caused by high blood sugar or high cholesterol.
- Night erection test determines if a man has erection during the night. It is performed with simple device which can measure size of erections and its numbers.
- Ultrasound is performed if doctor suspects that there are problems with blood flow to the nerve endings of penis and testicles. For this test patient needs to take medication which stimulates erection and let doctor see if blood flow functions properly.
Before administering treatment for erectile dysfunction, doctor needs to eliminate causes that contributed to development of this condition. For instance, if it was caused by heart problem and this problem was treated, erectile dysfunction can go away on its own.
- In most cases patients need to undergo conservative treatment which usually includes oral medications which can relax muscles of penis and normalize blood flow.
- Testosterone replacement therapy is recommended if erectile dysfunction is caused by low testosterone levels. It is usually delivered through injections.
- Penile implants are used only in long-term cases of erectile dysfunction when other methods did not help. It uses special rod implants which allow patient to control his erection.
- In some cases psychological counselling is recommended if erectile dysfunction was caused by relationship problems or stress. In any case, your erectile dysfunction can be temporary and nowadays it is treated very well.