Cervical cancer remains a common cause of death from oncological diseases in developed countries. The disease often affects women of reproductive age. However, the occurrence of this onomatology continues to decline in the countries with developed healthcare system. This is due to the fact that early preventive diagnostics makes it possible to identify and treat precancerous changes in the epithelium or the initial stage of cancer, when it has not yet spread beyond the mucous membrane.
Principles of diagnostics
The task of German doctors is to detect the disease as early as possible, when it can be easily cured. It is very likely that the timely medical care of surgeons will completely cure cervical cancer. In this case, surgery alone is enough: there is no need to apply chemotherapy or brachytherapy at the initial stage.
To early detect cervical cancer, the gynecologists use the following screening tests:
- oncocytology smears;
- molecular biological tests for oncogenic types of human papillomavirus (HPV is the most common cause of cervical cancer, it causes up to 90% of all cases).
In the case of pathological results of the smear, the doctors prescribe an additional colposcopy. The doctor of the Department of Gynecology examines the vaginal portion of the cervix using optical device under magnification. Should he detect a suspicious area of the epithelium, he will perform a biopsy. Sometimes the tumor grows from the uterine portion of the cervix. In this case, it is not available for examination. Curettage (diagnostic curettage) is used for confirmation of the diagnosis.
According to the results of histological examination of the biopsy sample, the following conclusion can be made:
- cervical intraepithelial neoplasia (CIN) stages 1, 2 or 3;
- cervical cancer.
Precancerous changes are cured by the destruction or surgical removal of pathological areas of the epithelium, from which cancer may develop in the future.
Should cancer be detected, the determination of its stage is required. To do this, the doctors need to assess the size of the tumor, the degree of cancer spreading to neighboring organs, the presence of regional and distant metastases. For this purpose, the doctors in Germany use the following techniques:
- CT, MRI;
- endoscopic examinations (rectoscopy, cystoscopy);
- chest X-ray;
- intravenous urography;
- diagnostic laparoscopy.
According to the diagnostic results, a decision is made on the preferred treatment methods of the disease. Sometimes it is enough to perform only one operation in order to eliminate the pathological process. In other cases, chemotherapy and brachytherapy are additionally required.
In the countries where cervical cancer screening is not well organized, the patients often visit a doctor at the later stages of the disease. The problem of this pathology is that the symptoms do not appear at once. At the initial stage, this disease does not have any clinical signs. If they occur, this indicates that the tumor has reached a large size and spread to neighboring organs.
The main symptoms are:
- bleeding after sexual intercourse (small amount of blood after intercourse, douching, diagnostic procedures);
- intermenstrual bleeding;
- bloody discharge after menopause;
- dyspareunia (pain during sexual intercourse).
Later, the patient experiences constant pelvic pain. If the tumor pressures the bladder, the urination becomes more frequent. Constipation may develop as well. In the case of ureteral compression, the inflammatory processes in the kidneys develop, kidney failure progresses. All these are symptoms of the late stages of the disease, when surgical resection can no longer be effective, whereas radiation therapy, chemotherapy and brachytherapy can be used only to improve the patient's quality of life and increase its expectancy.
Organization of the diagnostics and treatment with the Booking Health company
Thanks to the Booking Health company, you have the opportunity to undergo the diagnostics and treatment in the best hospitals in the world, regardless of what country you live in. If your country does not have high-quality gynecology services, you can use the services of German doctors. The detection and treatment of cancer in Germany is more effective.
We provide the following services and benefits:
- Selection of the best hospital, in which the Departments of Gynecology and Oncology demonstrate the best results in the diagnostics and treatment of cervical cancer.
- Reduced treatment costs in Germany due to the absence of overpricing and coefficients for foreign patients.
- Preparation of the cancer screening and treatment program taking into account the results of previously performed diagnostic procedures.
- Establishment of communication with your attending physician.
- Booking the appointment with a doctor on the convenient date for you.
- Monitoring of diagnostic and treatment program of cervical cancer in Germany at all its stages.
- Control of invoices taking into account the cost of treatment in Germany, return of unspent funds after program completion.
- Communication with the hospital after diagnostics or treatment completion.
- Buying and forwarding of medicines.
- Organization of additional examinations.
The employees of the Booking Health company will not only select the best hospital and help you to reduce the cost of treatment in Germany, but they will also make your stay in this country as comfortable as possible. We will help you to solve all organizational issues, book airline tickets and a hotel, arrange a transfer from the airport and provide interpreting services.