Ovarian cancer is a group of malignant neoplasms, which grow from the female genital glands. In recent years, significant progress has been made in the treatment of this disease. Thanks to the rapid development of medicine, the five-year survival rate of patients with this disease exceeds 90% in developed countries. As in many other types of cancer, an important factor in the treatment success is timely and accurate diagnostics of the pathology.
The clinical symptoms of ovarian cancer often occur early enough, which contributes to the effective diagnostics and treatment of this disease. The main clinical signs are:
- palpable tumor in the uterine appendages;
- abdominal pain;
- frequent urination;
- rapid fatigability;
- bowel disorders;
- pain during sexual intercourse;
- heavy menstrual bleeding.
All symptoms of ovarian cancer are nonspecific. The similar signs can be observed in many other pathologies. In addition, benign tumors are formed in the ovaries much more often than malignant ones. Therefore, most women who have discovered signs of ovarian cancer, actually do not have malignant oncology. However, it is necessary to visit a gynecologist. If warning signs appear, it is better to see a doctor.
To undergo the most effective and reliable diagnostics, it is better to be examined in the best hospitals in the world. This will allow you to have the following advantages:
- you will not miss cancer, if it is really present in your body;
- you will not only detect a tumor, but also obtain accurate information about the features of an oncological disease, and therefore select the best therapeutic tactics;
- you will undergo medical treatment abroad with a high likelihood of complete cure.
Is it possible to carry out early diagnostics?
It is possible to detect the ovarian cancer at the initial stage. For this purpose, it is enough to perform transvaginal ultrasound examination. It allows to detect a tumor formation. However, the doctor will not know if this tumor is benign or malignant. He will be monitoring it for several months. If the formation does not disappear, the doctor will offer a surgical intervention.
The fact of tumor malignancy can be confirmed only by means of a biopsy. However, it is very rarely carried out at the diagnostic stage. A histological examination of the neoplasm is mostly performed after its surgical removal.
Other methods of cancer confirmation include:
- diagnostic laparoscopy;
- biopsy using percutaneous needle insertion;
- in the case of ascites, the examination of peritoneal fluid for the presence of cancer cells.
Nonetheless, the diagnosis is more often confirmed during the treatment process of ovarian cancer. The tumor is removed and then sent for histological examination.
Assessment of the oncological process spread
Cancer is not always detected at the stage of a localized process. It often happens that a woman visits the Cancer Center when the tumor has already spread to the uterus, cervix, fallopian tubes and other pelvic organs.
To select the optimal treatment method (surgical resection, chemotherapy, brachytherapy), the doctor should know the following aspects:
- tumor size;
- its location;
- spread to the surrounding organs and tissues;
- presence of cancer cells in the lymph nodes;
- presence of distant metastases (lungs, brain and spinal cord).
The medical facilities abroad offers all modern diagnostic methods, such as imaging tests, endoscopic and radionuclide examinations. They allow the doctor to determine the stage of the oncological process and plan the treatment properly. Once the diagnostics is completed, the doctor will realize the scope of the surgical resection, the necessity for chemotherapy or brachytherapy.
The main diagnostic methods are:
- Ultrasound examination is performed using vaginal access. It allows the doctor to detect even small tumors and metastases. It is quite often used as a primary diagnostic method. It also allows the doctor to differentiate solid (dense) formations from cystic ones (cavities with fluid).
- Computed tomography is used in order to understand whether the cancer has spread to neighboring organs, such as lymph nodes, kidneys, bladder, etc.
- MRI is most often used in order to detect metastases in the brain and spinal cord.
- Colonoscopy is the insertion of a tube into the intestine in order to see if the cancer has spread to the rectum, sigmoid or colon.
- Chest X-ray is applied for the detection of possible lung metastases.
- PET allows the doctor to detect distant metastases.
- Diagnostic laparoscopy is used for the examination of the abdominal cavity, biopsy sampling.
The CA-125 tumor marker blood test is one of the laboratory tests that can be used. This technique is mainly used for the assessment of the effectiveness of cancer cell destruction by chemotherapy or brachytherapy, but it is not very informative for the initial diagnostics of the disease.
In some types of tumors, cancer cells can produce certain substances, which can be detected in the blood, for example, HCG, LDH, estrogens, androgens. If they are detected, the doctor may suspect the presence of a neoplasm in the body.
Diagnostics abroad with the Booking Health company
If you want to undergo the examination in the Departments of Gynecology in the best hospitals of the world at an affordable cost, you can use the services of the Booking Health company. We will arrange medical treatment for you in a large Cancer Center, where you can not only undergo the diagnostics, but also receive surgical treatment, chemotherapy, brachytherapy, etc. The doctors abroad can successfully cure the pathology even in the case of cancer spreading to the cervix, fallopian tubes and other pelvic organs.
We provide the following benefits:
- Selection of the best hospital for the treatment of ovarian cancer, including with regional metastases, tumor spread to the uterus and cervix, distant metastases.
- Affordable cost of gynecologic oncology services due to the absence of overpricing and coefficients for foreign patients.
- Booking the appointment with a doctor on the convenient date for you.
- Preparation of the program, taking into account the results of previously performed examinations.
- Communication with your attending physician.
- Control of treatment costs, financial invoices and return of unspent funds.
- Full control of the program at all its stages.
- Communication with the hospital after treatment completion.
- Buying and forwarding of medicines.
- Organization of additional examinations.
The Booking Health company will provide you with high quality service. We will not only select the Women's Hospital for you and provide an affordable cost of treatment, but also help you to book a hotel, prepare the documents, arrange a transfer to the hospital and back, provide interpreting services.